Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Long Beach on Wednesday and then a week off until Arizona. Texas looks like it’s going to hit that first Big 12 matchup with Baylor on December 30 at 13-0

Yeah and Tim Brando said he is gonna call that game vs baylor on FOX.  

Ugh

Oooffff….

I was always taught to “always upgrade” the foul. The only thing is maybe they thought she didn’t do a swing with the intent to hammer her. I would have upgraded, but the 2 of the  refs in that game all do NBA/WNBA and FIBA/Olympics so maybe they thought the intent wasn’t there? I mean, one of those 3 refs is dating/married to the coordinator of one of the P5 conferences. None of them are getting in trouble for that. 

Did Vic get a T?

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Oooffff….

I was always taught to “always upgrade” the foul. The only thing is maybe they thought she didn’t do a swing with the intent to hammer her. I would have upgraded, but the 2 of the  refs in that game all do NBA/WNBA and FIBA/Olympics so maybe they thought the intent wasn’t there? I mean, one of those 3 refs is dating/married to the coordinator of one of the P5 conferences. None of them are getting in trouble for that. 

Did Vic get a T?

Nope. Lobo was very surprised it wasn’t upgraded. 

A big reason I'm surprised it wasn't upgraded is Muhammad and a few UCONN players were getting chippy before that. Muhammad is a very physical player and is the type to get in the heads of other players. She's a better/more talented Brock Cunningham.

That was almost certainly intentional because Muhammad was punking UCONN on the offensive boards and letting them know. 

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The one thing moving forward is I hope Holle doesn't lose minutes because of the emergence of Muhammad and Booker. 

To me, I would just prefer we go smaller. Holle is a better player (right now) than a couple of bigs that are getting minutes. 

Shay did an excellent job of shutting down Page in the 1st half. I don't know why she didn't get any time in the 2nd, one of the reasons Page started scoring. I kept yelling at Vic to put Shay back in, but he didn't hear me.

Yes, need Gaston to guard players like Edwards. Jones isn't quick enough and just gets in foul trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

Shay did an excellent job of shutting down Page in the 1st half. I don't know why she didn't get any time in the 2nd, one of the reasons Page started scoring. I kept yelling at Vic to put Shay back in, but he didn't hear me.

Yes, need Gaston to guard players like Edwards. Jones isn't quick enough and just gets in foul trouble. 

Glad we will get Gaston back this week to tune up a bit before Big 12 play.

Baylor looks legit and will be a big test to open the conference season

• 6th in scoring (92 ppg) - Texas is 7th at 91.8
  • 9th in FG% (50.61%) - Texas is 5th (51.91%)
  • 12th in rebound margin (14.3) - Texas is 6th (17.8)
  • 94th in defense (58.8 ppg) - Texas is 4th (49.9 ppg)
  • 30th in turnover margin (6.00) - Texas is 1st (13.00)

Actually sets up a bit like our games against OU last year - Baylor has a top 10 offense and a bad defense, while Texas has a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Jones with only 2 points. (Moore and Hadi combined for 6). Are we going to struggle inside against bigger athletic posts?

We need Gaston back. And she'll be back this week. 

Jones/Faye/Gaston > Jones/Faye/Moore.  Moore is a 4, not a 5.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Thank you Rebecca. Took us a few tries but we did finally beat UConn, Geno with some nice comments for us as well.

Jones with only 2 points. (Moore and Hadi combined for 6). Are we going to struggle inside against bigger athletic posts?

The way Vic has been game planning opponents does seem that way. Against smaller teams, Vic’s plan for success on offense is to feed the ball to our big and score inside the paint. Against teams that match our size, Vic likes our offense to primarily run through our guards  to take the open looks they find. I think he knows Jones is physical enough to box out and score against smaller players, but posting her up against ladies of similar size is more miss than hit 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The way Vic has been game planning opponents does seem that way. Against smaller teams, Vic’s plan for success on offense is to feed the ball to our big and score inside the paint. Against teams that match our size, Vic likes our offense to primarily run through our guards  to take the open looks they find. I think he knows Jones is physical enough to box out and score against smaller players, but posting her up against ladies of similar size is more miss than hit 

Edwards is a senior playing for the best coach in NCAAWBB in over 100 games of college ball.  She's legit, she isn't just some "big post" player.  She's an elite post player - 2023 All American level. 

But you're not wrong on how Vic game plans against those big teams - that was how we beat Ayoka Lee in 2021/22. Ebo/Gaston didn't score much (8 points combined and 13 points combined) but we contained Lee and our guards/wings ate those games (Matharu 18, JAT 10, Warren 16 the first game and JAT 10, Matahru 16, Rori 9 in the second game). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Booker and Harmon sweep the Big 12 awards this week!

Texas’ Rori Harmon (player) and Madison Booker (freshman) collected Big 12 women’s basketball weekly awards, following a 2-0 week that culminated in an 80-68 win over then-No. 11 Connecticut. It marked the Longhorns’ first win over the Huskies in program history.

Harmon had 27 points and 13 assists against Connecticut, contributing via score or assist on 22 of UT’s 31 baskets. The Houston native was a pair of rebounds short of a triple-double against Oral Roberts, collecting 10 points, eight rebounds and 13 assists in the 112-74 victory. The junior guard averaged 18.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 13.0 assists for the week, plus had a 6.5 assist-to-turnover ratio. It is the second career player of the week nod for the applied movement science major.

Booker averaged 18.5 points while shooting 56.7% from the field to help Texas to its best start since the 2015-16 season at 9-0. In the UConn game, the forward who plans to major in mechanical engineering had a season-high 20 points to go along with three rebounds, four assists and two steals. The Ridgeland, Mississippi native went 8-of-9 from the field against Oral Roberts, scoring 17 points in the game to secure her first career weekly honor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Thank you Rebecca. Took us a few tries but we did finally beat UConn, Geno with some nice comments for us as well.

Jones is fine because she can still score but Gaston is the better all around player because of defense/rebounding. 

But moving forward we shouldn't be sacrificing Holle's minutes for Moore or Faye. Just go small. If Booker is playing 30+ minutes at the 4 just rotate at the 5 between Jones and Gaston. 

Then in the minutes at the 4 where Booker isn't playing either use 1) Holle at the 4 or 2) Muhammad at the 4 with Holle playing the 3. Get the best players on the court. 

• Hook 'Em 1

#5/9 Texas (9-0, 0-0 Big 12) vs.  Long Beach State (3-2, 0-0 Big West)

Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 7:00 PM CT   - Men at the same time on FS1
Moody Center | Austin, Texas
TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on Longhorn Network. Alex Loeb (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM, along with the web streams on TexasSports.com and the Longhorn App. Roger Wallace (pxp) and Eryn McMahan (analyst) will call the action.

Notables
2023 BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP RING CEREMONY: The team will hold a pre-game ceremony to distribute rings to honor the 2022-23 Big 12 regular season championship, the Longhorns first regular season title since the 2003-04 season.
THE WIN OVER UCONN: The Longhorn took down UConn for the first time in program history, 80-68 on Sunday in the Jimmy V Women's Classic. Rori Harmon scored 27 points and dished out 13 assists. Harmon became the first player in 25 seasons to tally at least 25 points and 10 assists against UConn.
HARMON/BOOKER BIG 12/NATIONAL AWARDS: Rori Harmon and Madison Booker earned Big 12 and national awards this week. Harmon was the Big 12 Player of the Week and Booker the Big 12 Freshman of the Week. Harmon was one of five honorees of the Ann Meyers Drysdale National Player of the Week presented by the USABW. Harmon was also selected the Associated Press National Player of the Week. Booker earned Tamika Catchings Freshman of the Week honors from the USABW.

Long Beach State Team Stats

Long Beach State has scored 71.8 points per game this season while Texas gives up 49.9 per contest. The Beach are 3-2 when they put up more than 50 points.

The Beach have shot a higher percentage from the field than their competition this season, making 44.4 percent of their field goals while limiting opponents to 33.8 percent shooting. When Long Beach State eclipses its season average, the Beach are 3-0 in the 2023-24 campaign.

Long Beach State Players to Watch

Tucker paces the Long Beach State's scoring effort, averaging 15 points per game. Patricia Chung is the team's top passer, notching 3.4 assists to go with 6.6 points per game. The Beach's leading rebounder is Davai Matthews, who pulls down 4.8 boards per game in addition to averaging 3.2 points.

Tucker is the best bet for Long Beach State from beyond the arc. She leads the team in made threes per game, drilling 1.8 treys per contest (making 41 percent of her attempts).

Regular Season

vsdefault-team-logo-500.png&h=20&w=20Biola                 W82-62
vs2440.png&scale=crop&cquality=40&locationNevada       W79-57
@278.png&scale=crop&cquality=40&location=Fresno St     L74-64
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/3/2023 at 5:30 PM, Huckleberry said:

Still remember the very irritating loss to UConn in the 2003 Final Four when media darling Taurasi and her teammates got every single call down the stretch. 

This.  Never saw more one-sided calls before or since in the last five minutes of a game.  ScrewConn

Tennessee is now 4-5 after losing to Middle Tennessee. Jewell Spear should have come to Texas. Rickea Jackson too (she’s currently out with an injury)

Kelly Harper is a dead woman walking, it feels like. Program is backsliding.