Week 1 Recap

JBJ

10 hours ago, skilesare said:

Uhhhh....no one at my high school looks like that QB.  If Finley stays healthy they may make some noise in the Sun Belt.

Quite frankly Texas State made Baylor look like a HS team at times Saturday. Finley making all the throws look easy, must have been some kind of bad coaching/situations he was in at LSU & Auburn since all I ever read about him from their fans was "glad he is gone" If Finley can stay upright and play like that all year I like the Bobcats chances to have quite the season, will at minimum be competitive in every game here on out which is a pretty big change in expectations...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, JBJ said:

Oklahoma dominates some team Arkansas State (Sun Belt)

This is the first positive headline a team is getting from me.  They are a borderline-ranked team that I expected to "receiving votes" at the end of season.  The team that they dominated was Central Arkansas State, so it's not a season-defining win....but also fuck OU.

FIFY

TL;DR you could've lead with "fuck 0u".

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, skilesare said:

Uhhhh....no one at my high school looks like that QB.  If Finley stays healthy they may make some noise in the Sun Belt.

The Athletico noted that TXSU has the 2nd highest amount of roster churn after Colorado.

How did Texas State do it? Well, much the same way Deion did. Kinne brought in 51 new scholarship players this offseason, second only to … Colorado.

https://theathletic.com/4828860/2023/09/03/colorado-caleb-williams-college-football-results/

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, JBJ said:

I'm honestly not sure how to root this season. A Texas-OU rematch in Dallas for their final seasons in the Big XII would be incredible for a variety of reasons, but also fuck OU.

What is wrong with you?

fuck ou, always and forever

How about Honorable Mention for the Buckeye/Hoosier game?  Whether it was great defense or poor offense, the Buckeyes could only manage 23 and a cupcake?  Come on man!  Almost all the top 10 put up more than 40 on the buffet items.  Michigan managed 30 and Pedo U got by with 38.

We can go ahead and add a couple of the later games.

FSU rolled over LSU.  LSU was a slight favorite going in, but I think the word toss-up applies when it's this early in the season.  FWIW, I picked FSU to win.  FSU looked good as expected, but LSU would have struggled against a lot of teams the way they were playing.  It was very sloppy.  They couldn't field a punt, for starters.

Duke stonewalling Clemson certainly changes expectations for both teams.  I have some split thoughts on the game:  First, Klubnik was not good.  He was careless with the ball and it could have gotten uglier than the two turnovers he did have. Clemson's only TD came off a dropped punt around the 20. Clemson allowed some big runs where they couldn't beat blocks or had fundamental assignment breakdowns.

Despite this, Clemson had more yards, more first downs, were better on third down, and had fewer penalties.  Statistically, the game was close but in Clemson's favor.  Clemson couldn't score because turned they ball over near the goaline twice.  Even considering that, I don't think Clemson's expectation gping in was only to play Duke close.  Was it a disaster game? Yes. Should there be lowered expectations now? Yes.  Is Clemson actually 3 scores worse than Duke? Probably not.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Duke stonewalling Clemson certainly changes expectations for both teams.  I have some split thoughts on the game:  First, Klubnik was not good.  He was careless with the ball and it could have gotten uglier than the two turnovers he did have. Clemson's only TD came off a dropped punt around the 20. Clemson allowed some big runs where they couldn't beat blocks or had fundamental assignment breakdowns.

Despite this, Clemson had more yards, more first downs, were better on third down, and had fewer penalties.  Statistically, the game was close but in Clemson's favor.  Clemson couldn't score because turned they ball over near the goaline twice.  Even considering that, I don't think Clemson's expectation gping in was only to play Duke close.  Was it a disaster game? Yes. Should there be lowered expectations now? Yes.  Is Clemson actually 3 scores worse than Duke? Probably not.

• Hook 'Em 1