Newsflash: Jann Wenner’s a cunt

Gil Bang

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

But seriously, some of the things he said are so remarkably tone deaf and untrue that it boggles the mind.  I guess when you get insanely wealthy you get used to sniffing your own farts and thinking they're lavender.

Has that magazine ever been about anything else?

In the interview, Wenner seemed to acknowledge he would face a backlash. “Just for public relations sake, maybe I should have gone and found one Black and one woman artist to include here that didn’t measure up to that same historical standard, just to avert this kind of criticism.”

Last year, Rolling Stone magazine published its 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and ranked Gaye’s “What’s Going On” No. 1, “Blue” by Mitchell at No. 3, Wonder’s “Songs in the Key of Life” at No. 4, “Purple Rain” by Prince and the Revolution at No. 8 and Ms. Lauryn Hill’s “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” at No. 10.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

No kidding. Surely this is only “news” outside of the music fanatic community. 

I'd put quotes around "music fanatic" there. Rolling Stone was always about advocacy for a certain style, a certain age, and never, ever about quality. And God forbid if you've had a different style than what they thought you should; they ignored Led Zeppelin during their heyday, were utterly oblivious to the rise of hip-hop and metal, and deliberately so.

• Hook 'Em 1

I downloaded his autobiography because it was getting strong reviews & let's face it, the guy's hung with some of the biggest names of the last 60 years so I figured there'd be some great stories.

In the end, the entertaining stories don't make up for how self centered and vapid he comes across throughout. He was born affluent & became rich almost out of sheer luck & timing. He worked hard-and had some amazingly talented people who REALLY worked hard to build RS-but in the end it was more stories of him having lunch with Jackie O, Yoko being a petty bitch, and how many A-list celebs he could gather for a party by flying them around on his private jets.

42 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I downloaded his autobiography because it was getting strong reviews & let's face it, the guy's hung with some of the biggest names of the last 60 years so I figured there'd be some great stories.

In the end, the entertaining stories don't make up for how self centered and vapid he comes across throughout. He was born affluent & became rich almost out of sheer luck & timing. He worked hard-and had some amazingly talented people who REALLY worked hard to build RS-but in the end it was more stories of him having lunch with Jackie O, Yoko being a petty bitch, and how many A-list celebs he could gather for a party by flying them around on his private jets.

Pick up Bernie Taupin's autobiography, "Scattershot".  It will cleanse your mental palate.  The audio book is very well done.    

• Hook 'Em 2