Who turns where

gsoda3

35 minutes ago, immamac said:

1->A

2->B OR C

3->C

14 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Agree, is C a one-way @gsoda3?

I think I disagree. 2 has no paint or (I assume) signage indicating it can turn while 1 does, so 1 is the only lane that can turn and should go to A. If they want to make B able to turn, they can paint it or add signs. Regardless, it's a bad design that was obviously completed piecemeal and/or without going through the trouble of merging the lanes prior to the intersection to make it clearer and safer.

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

I think I disagree. 2 has no paint or (I assume) signage indicating it can turn while 1 does, so 1 is the only lane that can turn and should go to A. If they want to make B able to turn, they can paint it or add signs. Regardless, it's a bad design that was obviously completed piecemeal and/or without going through the trouble of merging the lanes prior to the intersection to make it clearer and safer.

You can turn from any lane always unless it crosses another non-turn lane which is why 3 cannot turn. 2 can turn so long as 1 is a turn only lane. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

You can turn from any lane always unless it crosses another non-turn lane which is why 3 cannot turn. 2 can turn so long as 1 is a turn only lane. 

this is what i think however i can't find anything in the texas DMV handbook or in the texas transportation code that says that.  only thing i've been able to find supports the view that ONLY lane 1 can turn into A or B.  

image.thumb.png.362b916a97677bea187cc69208faa479.png

lol, I know that intersection as my kid lives in the apartments (C is entrance).

Left turn lane is marked, center one is not. You are not legally allowed to turn left from center lane.  People will and do and no one is likely going to get a ticket.  That said if someone from lane 1 and lane 2 collide while both turning left, lane 2 will be at fault.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

lol, I know that intersection as my kid lives in the apartments (C is entrance).

Left turn lane is marked, center one is not. You are not legally allowed to turn left from center lane.  People will and do and no one is likely going to get a ticket.  That said if someone from lane 1 and lane 2 collide while both turning left, lane 2 will be at fault.

Agree, but if C is a 2-way, which seems increasingly likely, they really need to make 2 left turn only. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 -> A (or possibly A or B)

2 -> C

3 -> I'm guessing merge to C (might be a "lane ends" sign we can't see).

There's only one left turn lane (you can see the arrow on the pavement).  If it's anything like right turn rules, you have to keep the vehicle in the closest lane if it's safe to do so, but I don't know if there's a comparable rule for left turns, and the above statute seems to suggest that there isn't.  But there may be something akin to the "wide-right turn" violation, which I have seen twice in the last year as an excuse to pull over a car (and search).  Been keeping my right turns tighter as a result.

Edited by dcbc

Lane 3 needs a right turn only arrow on the pavement/ sign.  

Only lane 2 should be going into C

Only Lane 1 should be going into A or B.  If you want to give Lane 2 the option for tuning into Lane B, needs to be dotted line on pavement indicating the option, as well as option arrows on the pavement while approaching the intersection.