San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

I’m on the totally opposite end of the spectrum. I think it’s a really interesting idea and I’m glad to see them trying something to make the regular season a little more relevant. 82 games is a slog and we’ve seen so many teams and players coast for long portions of it.

It may not end up working but just the act of trying it signals a form of progress.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I just want to go on record as saying this in season tournament is really fucking stupid. I hate it and I hope this is the only year they ever do it.

I don’t get the hatred towards it from anyone other than Hate, because it makes sense coming from you (no offense). It’s regular season games. That’s it. If you win your regular season games, you might get to play an extra games in Vegas for some extra cheddar. Win, go to Vegas, fuck whores. These guys do that anyway. Day in the life. And I know I’m in the extreme minority, but the courts are fucking awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I don't even understand what the in season tournament is.  And I'm not interested enough to google it, either.  It doesn't sound like something I'd be super proud of winning or would even remember after the season ends.

And that’s the reason they’re doing it, because no one gives a shit about the regular season. Fuck, I’m defending a marketing decision made by a bunch of suits who heard a Bill Simmons idea he vomited up after watching a soccer tournament and birthed it into reality. Fuck me.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, miguelito said:

No, that's backwards. I DO care about the regular season, that's why I don't understand the need to jazz it up with something that doesn't seem to be worth anything, as far as I can tell.

It’s worth $500,000 for the extra game. That’s all I’ve got.

I read they are talking about where the Institute of Texas Cultures is. As a kid, I used to love going there. We went on many field trips there and it was always a blast. We always went to the Folklife Festival there too, which was always a blast. As much as my nostalgia would miss that place, a downtown arena would be fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I just don’t understand the number of possessions down the stretch where Wemby didn’t figure into the offense. Frustrating.

I'm not watching, but it wouldn't shock me if Pop wasn't steering the ball to other guys to see who can and will make things happen in crunch time. Would be all too easy to toss it to Wemby and then just watch. 

9 hours ago, Hate said:

I read they are talking about where the Institute of Texas Cultures is. As a kid, I used to love going there. We went on many field trips there and it was always a blast. We always went to the Folklife Festival there too, which was always a blast. As much as my nostalgia would miss that place, a downtown arena would be fantastic.

I believe UTSA is leaning heavily towards moving The ITC next to The Crockett hotel so that it would be embedded within the future development of the Alamo district. It seems like a much better location than it's current location for gaining tourist traffic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Got to head to Wemby's House yesterday. Aside from the stupid 2nd half meltdown, it was a blast. He really is even more impressive in person. He's a black hole on defense, but unfortunately Toronto hounded him enough it the 2nd half to keep him quiet. I guess we really needed Vassell to take the pressure off of Toronto's anti-wemby defense systems. 

Collins going 1-6 from 3PT really pissed me off again. He just won't stop shooting them. Keldon looked good for most of the game, I liked his play. Jones and Sochan were absolutely torched by Schroeder. I thought bringing Jones in would slow him down as a faster defender..... it didn't help. I was embarrassed watching them get torched like that, he's a plus player but he's not an all star level dude. Wtf. Barnes... well they let him shoot open 3s, what are you gonna do (other than defend them maybe?). 

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Got to head to Wemby's House yesterday. Aside from the stupid 2nd half meltdown, it was a blast. He really is even more impressive in person. He's a black hole on defense, but unfortunately Toronto hounded him enough it the 2nd half to keep him quiet. I guess we really needed Vassell to take the pressure off of Toronto's anti-wemby defense systems. 

Collins going 1-6 from 3PT really pissed me off again. He just won't stop shooting them. Keldon looked good for most of the game, I liked his play. Jones and Sochan were absolutely torched by Schroeder. I thought bringing Jones in would slow him down as a faster defender..... it didn't help. I was embarrassed watching them get torched like that, he's a plus player but he's not an all star level dude. Wtf. Barnes... well they let him shoot open 3s, what are you gonna do (other than defend them maybe?). 

Agree. And even with all of that, if Osman doesn’t collide with Wemby on the late Wemby rebound we are 4-2. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Agree. And even with all of that, if Osman doesn’t collide with Wemby on the late Wemby rebound we are 4-2. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I read about it this morning, but didn't even realize that's what happened there. I was too busy yelling "a fucking nother one?!?" when they came down with the offensive rebound. Disappointing. 

35 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I read about it this morning, but didn't even realize that's what happened there. I was too busy yelling "a fucking nother one?!?" when they came down with the offensive rebound. Disappointing. 

Yea we are in uncharted waters. Do you coach a 7’4” player to reach over EVERYBODY to get every rebound possible or do you rein him in to avoid situations where he fumbles a rebound a teammate could have had? My gut says have him go for everything but I’m no expert.