NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:
48 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

that’s a pretty severe injury in my book. extremely painful, and takes forever to heal properly. that really sucks. he’s one of the most exciting young players in basketball.

Yeah, had a bone bruise on the underside of my knee that seemed to last my entire sophomore year. Painful and would limp like a zombie between plays but once the ball was snapped, take off like it was nothing.

Long story short, yes, it sucks as it probably ends the season for him, but it's still much, much better than him blowing a ligament.

Thunder lose at home to the Pacers. Denver now tied for top of the West.

Minny throttling the Clippers in LA to keep pace. 

Nuggets/Wolves still play three more times. Outside of that the Nuggets remaining schedule is pretty easy. Should be a fun race. 

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thunder losing is nice. Wolves with the old 42 point swing, I was about to go to bed until I checked the damn box score and they were down 8 instead of 18.

Difference between being up 1 game on LA in the 4 or being up 3 and .5 behind the other 2. Huge win

Thunder losing a few might not be bad for them if it gets them out of playing the Lakers in the first round.  It seems like all of these Western Conference teams could beat each other but that's just a bad matchup for Okie City.

Thunder losing a few might not be bad for them if it gets them out of playing the Lakers in the first round.  It seems like all of these Western Conference teams could beat each other but that's just a bad matchup for Okie City.

Yea the play in throws a wrench in everything. Just as tight as jockeying for position the top 3 teams in the west will do, there’s 3.5 games separating the 6-10 teams so it’ll be next to impossible to pick and choose who you’ll have an idea of who’s playing who, besides maybe the 4/5

The east is a tad clearer.
1 is set, 2/3 is a battle, 4-8 is unsettled while 9/10 are pretty much set

From the Athletic on the Knicks:

Shortly after the Knicks acquired OG Anunoby, they won 12 of their next 14 games before he suffered an elbow injury. The Knicks won their next three without their new forward before Jan-sanity was over and we saw the team crater due to other injuries. That elbow caused Anunoby to miss 18 straight games, during which New York went 8-10. Julius Randle also missed time with a dislocated shoulder while Jalen Brunson sat out a few games too.

Anunoby returned to the lineup last night and provided a brilliant reminder why the Knicks took off upon acquiring him. New York (38-27, fourth in East) bludgeoned a battered 76ers team (36-29, seventh in East) with a 106-79 victory. It came one game after losing to Philadelphia 79-73. Is Anunoby really worth a 33-point scoring swing? No, that’s a little too simplified. But ... almost? We can’t ignore how good the Knicks have been with him playing.

The Knicks were plus-28 with Anunoby on the floor and are plus-280 in his 15 team games this season. They outscore opponents by a ridiculous 25.8 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor but have a net rating of minus-3.6 points when he sits. That’s a gulf big enough to fit Madison Square Garden into. The Knicks were already good once Brunson came to town. With Anunoby in the lineup, they’re dominant.

It’s enough to reasonably wonder if this team can get healthy enough to make the conference finals. Or can the Knicks find a way to upset the vaunted Celtics (51-14, first in East), should they get into a playoff matchup with them? It may sound ridiculous, but, when you break down just how good this team looks with Anunoby, the rest of the East should be worried about them.

I know, Miami, but it’s 7:50 local time and the good seats in tv are like 50% full with the champs in town for a finals rematch

It doesn’t take that much planning to get off of the beach for a 7:30 local time game does it?

The playoffs are the same. The lower level tickets are mostly owned by corporations.

I'm watching the Cavs/Pelicans game from tonight, and with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter the Cavs get their first free throw of the night. Up to that point it was a disparity of 22-0 FTs in the game, and the Cavs were up by 22 points when this happened. Just insanely one-sided officiating, not a single drive to the basket got called a shooting foul for the Cavs up to that point. Garland, Mitchell and Levert made plenty of drives and got bumped, slapped, etc but no "shooting fouls" called. Zion of course got quite a few, cause reasons. I'm glad they are playing well enough to greatly outdo what the refs are ignoring, but man it's annoying. I'm sure the NBA probably tells them to "try to keep it close if you can", but just call a fair game and let the chips fall where they may. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'm watching the Cavs/Pelicans game from tonight, and with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter the Cavs get their first free throw of the night. Up to that point it was a disparity of 22-0 FTs in the game, and the Cavs were up by 22 points when this happened. Just insanely one-sided officiating, not a single drive to the basket got called a shooting foul for the Cavs up to that point. Garland, Mitchell and Levert made plenty of drives and got bumped, slapped, etc but no "shooting fouls" called. Zion of course got quite a few, cause reasons. I'm glad they are playing well enough to greatly outdo what the refs are ignoring, but man it's annoying. I'm sure the NBA probably tells them to "try to keep it close if you can", but just call a fair game and let the chips fall where they may. 

You mean Jarrett Allen didn’t get 21 free throw attempts like he did last week? Crazy

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You mean Jarrett Allen didn’t get 21 free throw attempts like he did last week? Crazy

Yeah I realize that was bullshit and joked about it upthread, but it's really infuriating to watch as a fan when it just seems like the refs have to influence every game. It's a dumb way to run a sport and I hate the WWE feeling of some of these games. 

Is there any player on the Nuggets that people really hate?  I enjoy watching them play as a team, a bit reminiscent of the pre-KD Warriors but with less catch-and-shoot 3s, more creativity and no villains like Draymond. Curry has always been a jackass too, and Bogut was playing fucking tackle football out there for their first few runs. The Warriors had a lot unlikeable things about them with their attitudes, entitlement and animated complaining for every foul, on top of the enormous amount of calls that already went their way.

However, I find it hard to root against the Nugs if they aren't playing my team, and I really don't mind seeing Jokic win some more rings. Jokic should be complaining as much as anyone out there, yet he doesn't do it much, and the worst thing you can say about him is that he took out one of the Morris twins after a cheapshot, which is actually another reason for a lot of fans to like him. 

• Like 3

Yeah I realize that was bullshit and joked about it upthread, but it's really infuriating to watch as a fan when it just seems like the refs have to influence every game. It's a dumb way to run a sport and I hate the WWE feeling of some of these games. 

Still won by 20, which is insane…lol

They did hoist like 50 3s so far has something to do with it

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Still won by 20, which is insane…lol

They did hoist like 50 3s so far has something to do with it

20-45 ain't bad, and when you have guys like Sam Merrill knocking them down, you have to let him cook. The Pelicans transition defense was horrible though, they looked so goddamn lazy, like everyone but Herb Jones ate an entire king cake before the game. There were a lot of open shots from bad rotations, or lack thereof, and the Pels being outmanned on the fastbreak or in transition because they lacked hustle. Super lazy on their part, they weren't ready to run with this young Cavs team. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is there any player on the Nuggets that people really hate?  I enjoy watching them play as a team, a bit reminiscent of the pre-KD Warriors but with less catch-and-shoot 3s, more creativity and no villains like Draymond. Curry has always been a jackass too, and Bogut was playing fucking tackle football out there for their first few runs. The Warriors had a lot unlikeable things about them with their attitudes, entitlement and animated complaining for every foul, on top of the enormous amount of calls that already went their way.

However, I find it hard to root against the Nugs if they aren't playing my team, and I really don't mind seeing Jokic win some more rings. Jokic should be complaining as much as anyone out there, yet he doesn't do it much, and the worst thing you can say about him is that he took out one of the Morris twins after a cheapshot, which is actually another reason for a lot of fans to like him. 

Watching Jokic just own the Warriors and Draymond is so satisfying. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

17 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Their team culture is a huge part of their success.  That's why they didn't hesitate to ship Bones out last year when he started causing problems in the locker room.

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i just learned watching PTI that domantis sabonis is 10-0 in his career vs AD. i find that to be hilarious.

Saw that this morning on reddit.  I'm so happy to see teams clowning the Lakers and Warriors these days.  

Their team culture is a huge part of their success.  That's why they didn't hesitate to ship Bones out last year when he started causing problems in the locker room.

If you watch any Aaron Gordon interview you will love the guy.
  • Like 1

Celtics are 23/45 from 3 so far.

Good Lord. 

They were 25/48 then missed a couple in garbage time.

That's one of the best team-shooting displays I've ever seen. 

Edited by ztejas

The Knicks are now 17-2 with a healthy OG in the lineup, holding teams to less than 90 points a game.  Held Sacramento to 90something points last night.  

They are legit good and it's only a matter of time before they overtake the Cavs for the 3 spot in the East, thus avoiding Boston til the conference finals.