Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

34 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

79093A13-B447-4FE0-9920-F98CA265B02F.gif.671909960ff08339aba152fdaaee9935.gif

Me either. The guy has a pattern of injury at a young age and has the build of a DH/1B. He’s perhaps the best hitter in baseball. The primary objective should be to keep him healthy at all costs to keep his bat in the lineup. 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

We may have the worst spring training hats in the whole league

So it isn't just me?  I try not to be old man yelling at clouds, but those fucking suck.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

I liked them until I looked closer and realized there were two shades of orange.  That's dumb.

7 hours ago, Scraps said:

This one is much better. (And a lot of these for the other teams (pirates, Phillies, brewers, reds, Detroit, even Texas) are outstanding.

when do these get officially released/ on sale?

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/07/2024-mlb-batting-practice-cap-collection-appears-online/

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This one is much better. (And a lot of these for the other teams (pirates, Phillies, brewers, reds, Detroit, even Texas) are outstanding.

when do these get officially released/ on sale?

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/07/2024-mlb-batting-practice-cap-collection-appears-online/

That A's hat is bad ass

• Hook 'Em 1

The Astros will be one of four Major League Baseball teams using facial authentication technology at this year’s opening day in an effort to speed up fans' entry through the gates at Minute Maid Park.

MLB is calling the system Go-Ahead Entry, which first was tested by the Philadelphia Phillies last season and eventually will be incorporated by every team throughout 2024.

The Astros hope to be able to test the system for exhibition games against the Sugar Land Space Cowboys on March 25-26 before the regular season opens against the Yankees on March 28, according to the team’s senior vice president of marketing and communications Anita Sehgal.

Fans have to opt-in to the service, which will allow them to enter the stadium without having to show a ticket, by registering through the MLB Ballpark app.

Here's how it works:

To register, fans who are 18 and older and have a digital ticket to the game in their MLB Ballpark app take what amounts to a selfie through the app. According to MLB officials, the images of fans aren’t stored or shared, but instead converted into a digital token that is used to authenticate fans' likenesses as they walk through the gates. Fans take the selfie just once as they register and it will be used throughout the season upon entry. 

At each Minute Maid Park gate, there will be a special lane for Go-Ahead Entry in which fans can skip the lines and walk through without having to show a ticket once they make it through security. It also works with groups as long as the person signed up for the service has all of their group’s tickets in their MLB Ballpark app.

“It’s almost like if you have Clear at the airport,” Sehgal said. 

While every MLB team will be using the system by the end of the year, it’s also making its way around to other sports. The Carolina Panthers began using it at their Bank of America Stadium late last season and will continue using it for Charlotte FC’s MLS games at the stadium. The Cleveland Browns also used it in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Pass. This is the real problem:

once they make it through security.”

It’s still going to take the old ladies with the sticks 20 minutes to check my bag of snacks and bottles of water I’m lugging for the family. 

People like you are the reason that we can’t afford to extend Bregman and Tucker. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Just not Altuve, Yordan, or anyone on base when Yordan is due to bat in the inning 

My concern with Yordan's baserunning is about 98% for his knees and 2% whether he scores a run or not.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

This should have been the 1st thing Space City did when it was announced they were relaunching. Create a streaming option for inmarket customers.

Nah. Streaming is a losing proposition. We did a podcast on why that is, but it’s worse than what he had. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nah. Streaming is a losing proposition. We did a podcast on why that is, but it’s worse than what he had. 

Wasn't the math something like $600 for a season per household? Are you saying its actually higher? I enjoyed that podcast, btw..

57 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Wasn't the math something like $600 for a season per household? Are you saying its actually higher? I enjoyed that podcast, btw..

Thanks man. And yeah/ that’s the math if you didn’t kill demand at that price point.  Which you absolutely would. 
to get to the numbers they are at currently you just have to have people paying for the product that aren’t using it.