2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

this game shows exactly why we were the 5 seed.  10-19 FT vs 19-20.  TO's everywhere.  ice cold Luka and Kyrie didn't show.  happens way to much to expect to win a championship.

1 minute ago, Tommy Shelby said:

How do you miss this many FTs? Luka reminds me too much of Harden with the Rockets with the unclutchness. 

Harden shot like 90% at the line for the Rockets

The truck stop freak can make free throws. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommy Shelby said:

Is Holger Geschwindner available?

the fact Luka can only shoot about 77-78 from the line should embarrass him and it is embarrassing for an NBA team to lose a series because they can't make FT's.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

How do you miss this many FTs? Luka reminds me too much of Harden with the Rockets with the unclutchness. 

He's no Dirk that's for sure in that department. Especially when it matters most.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

He's no Dirk that's for sure in that department. Especially when it matters most.

at this point he's a regular season star.  when people actually start to play D and it gets tough he wilts.  OKC's star just took his lunch money.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

at this point he's a regular season star.  when people actually start to play D and it gets tough he wilts.  OKC's star just took his lunch money.

This is a ridiculous take considering his playoff stats. He’s been terrible this series. No arguments there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Agreed. Sloppy as fuck too often and spends so much energy bitching when things doesn't go his way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

This is a ridiculous take considering his playoff stats. He’s been terrible this series. No arguments there. 

Stats on paper can be misleading. He might have some good numbers himself but how much he is influencing the game when it matters most? 

What. Luka is literally one of the best playoff producers of all time.
  • Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Stats on paper can be misleading. He might have some good numbers himself but how much he is influencing the game when it matters most? 

Wtf. Do you remember any of the Clippers series or when he made Booker his bitch? What are we even talking about here. 

• Like 1

Did you just not watch any mavericks playoffs games before this series?
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

yep.  to be fair, the reason they aren't really in the hunt for a championship with Luka is all on the smartest man in the room, Cubes...

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

Wtf. Do you remember any of the Clippers series or when he made Booker his bitch? What are we even talking about here. 

yes one series a year.  you have to win 4 to win a championship.

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

If y’all want to ride with this then I can’t stop you. But damn…that’s certainly a poorly throughout take. 

again stats are for losers.  This is a game where the great ones make it happen.  he looked like shit.  He's a great player and the main reason we are at least a top 5 type team.

OKC is better so it isn't a shock they are gonna take the series.   probably more disappointed in Kyrie not being able to get to the rim a lot more.

Posted (edited)

We got bad Green and Hardaway tonight and it showed. The same guys who kept things going when Luka/Kyrie needed rest or couldn’t on Saturday were dogshit tonight and it showed. If they turn in this performance on Saturday we probably would have lost that one too.

Edited by ITHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Honestly I just don’t care enough to think about it. I’ve seen some bad calls this series, but no group of calls in any one game has affected the outcome. I just don’t get worked up by officials and never really have except over the occasional Longhorn football game. I’ve seen one and possible two times Big 12 refs cost us games against OSU and once against Bama in ‘22. All at home. No officiating anywhere else has approached those screw jobs. 

You’re talking about bad officiating that changed the outcome. That happens in football. Screw jobs were the officials seem to intentionally put their thumb on the scale to manipulate the outcome seem rare in football. The only equivalent I can think of is “Grant Teaff’s going away present” in 1993.

I’m talking about the kind of screwjobs that are unique to the NBA, particularly when they can extend a playoff series. A few off the top of my head:

Game 5 ECF, Knicks-Bulls ‘93 (Charles Oakley)
Game 2 Finals, Celtics-Lakers ‘08 Celtics (Lakers shoot 10 free throws, Celtics shoot 38)
Game 6 WCF, Kings-Lakers 2002
Games 5-6 Finals, Heat-Mavs, 2006 (and Games 3-4 are pretty bad too)

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Luka and Kyrie are 10-40 from the field. What in the actual fuck. 

Luka can’t shoot because he has dead legs and won’t be right until next year, Kyrie had an off night, and the supporting cast has to be spectacular to win when that happens. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Luka can’t shoot because he has dead legs and won’t be right until next year, Kyrie had an off night, and the supporting cast has to be spectacular to win when that happens. 

I get that he's not 100%, but the way he's moving on defense indicates his issue right now is way more mental than it is physical. Lu Dort is all up in his head. 

47 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I get that he's not 100%, but the way he's moving on defense indicates his issue right now is way more mental than it is physical

Completely disagree. Dead legs- that is, the kind of long term fatigue associated with poor recovery from minor injury and overwork impacts vertical and explosive movement first and most. This is why “active recovery” is a thing- you can have dead legs and still jog and jump rope all day.  Defense is mainly lateral and horizontal movement and reactive hand-eye coordination, all of which Luka has in spades. But he’s very sore and doesn’t have enough lift to get his shot off, which is why he’s forcing it through his shoulders and arms. Dead legs takes about a week of rest and recovery to get over at his age. 
He’ll be a little better for the rest of the series because he’s got a break between each game, but won’t be 100% until next season. That’s just how it is. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So much bitching, all they had to do was make a few more fucking free throws. That's literally it, and they failed. We played better overall even with mid Luka and Kyrie. We lost because of missed free throws. We're gonna lose this series because Luka isn't close to 100% and is looking slower every game, and because we blew the chance to take a 3-1 lead because of fucking free throws. Maddening.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Completely disagree. Dead legs- that is, the kind of long term fatigue associated with poor recovery from minor injury and overwork impacts vertical and explosive movement first and most. This is why “active recovery” is a thing- you can have dead legs and still jog and jump rope all day.  Defense is mainly lateral and horizontal movement and reactive hand-eye coordination, all of which Luka has in spades. But he’s very sore and doesn’t have enough lift to get his shot off, which is why he’s forcing it through his shoulders and arms. Dead legs takes about a week of rest and recovery to get over at his age. 
He’ll be a little better for the rest of the series because he’s got a break between each game, but won’t be 100% until next season. That’s just how it is. 

Agree to disagree then. I'm not saying Luka should be dropping 40, but he should be able to do better than 6 of 20 from the field with 7 terrible turnovers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Agree to disagree then. I'm not saying Luka should be dropping 40, but he should be able to do better than 6 of 20 from the field with 7 terrible turnovers. 

No doubt - he needs to play a different game right now since he can’t do what he usually does, and either way it might be a good thing to throw a different look at OKC. 

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You’re talking about bad officiating that changed the outcome. That happens in football. Screw jobs were the officials seem to intentionally put their thumb on the scale to manipulate the outcome seem rare in football. The only equivalent I can think of is “Grant Teaff’s going away present” in 1993.

I’m talking about the kind of screwjobs that are unique to the NBA, particularly when they can extend a playoff series. A few off the top of my head:

Game 5 ECF, Knicks-Bulls ‘93 (Charles Oakley)
Game 2 Finals, Celtics-Lakers ‘08 Celtics (Lakers shoot 10 free throws, Celtics shoot 38)
Game 6 WCF, Kings-Lakers 2002
Games 5-6 Finals, Heat-Mavs, 2006 (and Games 3-4 are pretty bad too)

Alright?

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

So much bitching, all they had to do was make a few more fucking free throws. That's literally it, and they failed. We played better overall even with mid Luka and Kyrie. We lost because of missed free throws. We're gonna lose this series because Luka isn't close to 100% and is looking slower every game, and because we blew the chance to take a 3-1 lead because of fucking free throws. Maddening.

Yep. Only quibble I have with your post is that in no way was that mid Luka. That was the worst game I’ve ever seen him play. 

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I agree with you. He needs to stop being such a whiny bitch and be a fucking man and play better. He’s showing us in real time he’s not the MVP. Not even close.