2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

i'd offer the nets the #3 pick and one of their remaining obligations to the rockets (swaps in '25 and '27, unprotected first in 26) back to them for mikal bridges.  my guess is they'd want all of their remaining obligations returned, but i'm not doing that.  

i'm totally fine with just making the pick here if that's what it comes back to.

Supposedly the Rockets offered all the Brooklyn picks back to the Nets for all the Suns picks that Brooklyn received in the Durant trade. Stone really wants assets further out which makes sense when we have Green, Sengun, Smith, Eason, Thompson, and Whitmore all within 3 years of each other. Meaning the extensions are going to be hard to manage. Brooklyn said no, but I wonder if they would change their mind now that the 2024 pick is in the Top 3.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Everything I’ve seen is that the Rockets want to trade this pick either for a vet or future assets. They feel like they have enough youngsters at this time. 

They need The Dude to go along with their dudes.

The draft is shitty at the top but it’s relatively deep, especially with foreign guys that could hit and become something incredible which seems to happen every 5 years or so.  Take the win.  

That being said, I’m down for a blockbuster.  Just be patient. The list of guys available this offseason is going to grow dramatically in early June.  Someone said Ingram upthread.  Would you trade the third, another future pick or three, Green, and FVV for Durant if Phoenix decides to blow it up?   I mean, that is wishcasting, but a few guys like that are moving this offseason. We just don’t know who yet.  

What would you give up for Jimmy Butler coming home? Not as much.  But we have the assets to do a lot of different things.  As far as I am concerned, depending on who is available, no one is untouchable, not even Sengun.  

But circling back to first paragraph, I am cool drafting best available on board, figure out your lineup by mid-January and make a trade then for Giannis or Booker or whoever becomes disgruntled and is available then. 

No to Durant or Paul George. Just too old. Get a guy that is closer in age to the other guys, but is established in the league. That list is a lot smaller, but guys like Mitchell or Ingram would be huge upgrades over what we currently have. The biggest issue is would they sign a long term deal with the Rockets.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

No to Durant or Paul George. Just too old. Get a guy that is closer in age to the other guys, but is established in the league. That list is a lot smaller, but guys like Mitchell or Ingram would be huge upgrades over what we currently have. The biggest issue is would they sign a long term deal with the Rockets.

If you scout just the 2020 and 2021 drafts (so guys coming up on extensions and because they are NBA 2 guards all feel entitled to the max), it's a couple of dudes like LaMelo Ball that have an upgrade on Green in one area but downgrade in another (or they aren't going to be available in a Green plus 3 swap). 

It makes me think that the Rockets might look to upgrade elsewhere with those same chips and use Whitmore or Thompson at the two.

Reed Sheppard testing off the charts. A shooter with athleticism is just what this team needs. He's the guy I take to replace Green. Move Whitmore to SF.

Thompson-Sheppard-Whitmore-Smith-Sengun, I am warming up to that starting 5 in 2026.

• Hook 'Em 1

Stone is posturing that he'd only trade the pick if it were for great value, as he should be doing. What they actually prefer is speculation. Ime presumably wants a vet, but he likely understands that a marginal vet isn't worth trading the #3 pick for. Tildo wants to win right now, but I think he listens to Stone when Stone says the value isn't there

The whole league knows that Mitchell won't re-sign with Cleveland. He'll be a huge free agent who'll end up at a destination city. Cleveland should recoup some assets a year early and try to see if they can get Garland right.

Houston could really use plus shooting, and some of the best players in this draft are either bad shooters (Holland, Castle, Clingan) or not as good current as their profiles suggest they should be (Matas, Williams, etc)

I think Sarr is probably gone by pick three, but I don't think Risacher by any means is a lock to be gone. I'm also not sure if he'd even be the pick for Houston 

Sheppard is an elite shooter who's a play-maker both on offense and defense, but he's also a small body who'd get hunted defensively

If Houston stays at three, there's about a half a dozen directions I could see them going. The one guy who doesn't make sense to me is Dillingham. 

I could see Ime falling in love with Castle or Holland, despite their shooting issues

Can Houston please steal one of the elite shooting coaches (Fred Vinson, Chip Engelland, etc)?

• Like 1

If you take a straight average of Givony, Vecenie, and Hollinger, here's the rankings

1) Sarr

2) Clingan

3) Topic

4) Castle

5) Sheppard

6) Holland

7) Buzelis

'8) Risacher

9) Dillingham

(pretty big tier break)

10) Knecht

11) Williams

12) Filippowski

13) Collier

14) Carter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

I’d be down with Clingan…

I hope not. He tested really bad.

Max vertical: 29.0" - last among all C's that tested, 3rd worst among all players that tested.

Standing vertical: 25.5" - 2nd last among all C's that tested, 10th worst among all players that tested.

3 Quarter sprint: 3.46 seconds - last among all C's that tested, worst among all players that tested.

Shuttle run: 3.38 seconds - last among all C's that tested, 2nd worst among all players that tested.

Lane agility: 12.06 seconds - last among all C's that tested, 2nd worst among all players that tested.

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I hope not. He tested really bad.

Max vertical: 29.0" - last among all C's that tested, 3rd worst among all players that tested.

Standing vertical: 25.5" - 2nd last among all C's that tested, 10th worst among all players that tested.

3 Quarter sprint: 3.46 seconds - last among all C's that tested, worst among all players that tested.

Shuttle run: 3.38 seconds - last among all C's that tested, 2nd worst among all players that tested.

Lane agility: 12.06 seconds - last among all C's that tested, 2nd worst among all players that tested.

Yet, he's an extremely impactful player

The issue is more about his awkward fit with Sengun than any sort of testing 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

The issue is more about his awkward fit with Sengun than any sort of testing 

That’s my objection to him.  Also, I think his type is more available in trade or free agency than less skilled/more athletic players.

Draft upside, particularly given our roster. Clingan’s upside is limited.  I have no idea why he is rated so high.  

i would rather have Edey (although not at 3). Look,  he might be Boban and inconsequential. But I could also see him being a force in limited doses at 7’5”.  You don’t draft him to play heavy minutes next to Sengun.  You play him to wreak havoc in short doses.  And who knows? Maybe he is even better than that.  

He won me over this year and also seems to have a little fuck you to him.  But that’s really just me saying don’t draft Clingan.  

In addition to Mitchell, I think one or more of Giannis, AD, Booker, Embiid, or guys like that become available.  I want to be ready for that. 

I’d love to get Myles Turner on this team.  

Posted (edited)

What team would even say, "We have to get to #3, or our player is gonna?"

Not in this draft. If there is a trade it's to match financials with players traded.

No NBA team is building out of this draft.  Built teams might find depth, but that's it.

Edited by Slacks
o

10 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Draft upside, particularly given our roster. Clingan’s upside is limited.  I have no idea why he is rated so high.  

i would rather have Edey (although not at 3). Look,  he might be Boban and inconsequential. But I could also see him being a force in limited doses at 7’5”.  You don’t draft him to play heavy minutes next to Sengun.  You play him to wreak havoc in short doses.  And who knows? Maybe he is even better than that.  

He won me over this year and also seems to have a little fuck you to him.  But that’s really just me saying don’t draft Clingan.  

In addition to Mitchell, I think one or more of Giannis, AD, Booker, Embiid, or guys like that become available.  I want to be ready for that. 

I’d love to get Myles Turner on this team.  

I don't know where to start with this post

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I saw interesting trade idea. #3, Tate, and Landale for #9 and Marcus Smart.

Smart could lead the 2nd team and even play along side both Green and Van Vleet.

That put the Rockets in the range to draft Cody Williams or Knetch.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I saw interesting trade idea. #3, Tate, and Landale for #9 and Marcus Smart.

Smart could lead the 2nd team and even play along side both Green and Van Vleet.

That put the Rockets in the range to draft Cody Williams or Knetch.

Short, poor shooting combo guard. I’d rather roll the dice at 3

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Short, poor shooting combo guard. I’d rather roll the dice at 3

Yeah, I don’t know why we’d want to  add another non-shooter.  Sengun is going to have three dudes guarding him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Amen got robbed from being selected to the 1st team. Podz over Amen is a fucking joke.

While I agree Thompson continued to get better as the season progressed and has way more upside, the stats comp between the two is really splitting hairs. Podziemski played 12 more games for a slightly better team and got the nod. It doesn’t change anything because we got the better player long term….and really something if his jumper can get to even league average.