2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

The new season tipoffs tonight and the Rockets were certainly active over the summer, adding in a respected head coach and a couple of veteran starters to bring some experience to the young core.  

Projected startig lineup:

PG - Fred Van Vleet

SG - Jalen Green

SF - Dillon Brooks

PF - Jabari Smith

C - Alperen Sengun

On paper, it's an intriguing group.  How well they mesh together remains to be seen.  The western conference looks pretty deep this year and the Rockets could be an improved team but still find themselves at the bottom of the standings.  They owe their pick to OKC if it doesn't fall in the top four so there is not much reason to purposely want to lose this year.  The Vegas win total was set at 31.5.  I'll say they finish slightly better than that and go 36-46.  Probably not good enough for the play-in tournament but if they can get the young guys some expereince in some games that actually matter in the second half of the season and the young guys look like they belong, I'll consider it a good start to phase 2 of the rebuild.

Game 1 is tonight at 6:00 in Orlando.  Go Rockets!

Edited by BigOrange1

• BigOrange1 changed the title to 2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?
Just now, Macklemore said:

I don’t get how people put up with illegal streams. Most of them don’t work, popup and malware AIDS. Just horrible 

The steam I am using works fine. I don't know about its legality. 

Also, without ATTSN, it's steam or nothing. 

My Orlando Magic say :fu: :fu:

It's crazy.  Houston has my two favorite draft targets going back a couple of years.
Rockets are going to be crazy good as these guys come together with the brand new Coach.
Assuming that Coach is actually good and didn't just inherit a good team back in Boston.
Most people (smarter than I) think he'll do great.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:25 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

I just hope the lottery is kind to us next year and doesn’t give our pick to OKC

By all accounts it's a weak draft at the top, but Houston could potentially get two top four picks 

It's still a young team, lots of time to develop. Nobody should be expecting the playoffs at this point in the rebuild, it's a happy accident if it happens. They took a similarly young and upcoming team to OT and lost. Meh, it happens. 

At some point though, this team will need to grapple with tanking for a top 4 pick and going for the play-in, just like better teams in Dallas and Portland did last year.  Keeping that first and picking this year could be a tremendous boost in the future. 

• Like 1

I didn't watch tonight. I expect this team to lose lot early. They may lose a lot late, but their damn sure going to lose early. They haven't played together. New players, new coach, and no elite nba players today. The most talented guys are 21 and under. I see talent, but only FVF and Brooks have real experience. 

Play defense and create open slots and winning will come. 

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Missing Wemby and Chet and instead getting Jags for 100s of loses just didn’t work out for us. 

Wemby, absolutely. But Chet?! Come on let’s not anoint this guy yet. 

I think they drafted the best player available at their slot in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Wemby was always going to the Spurs if Pop was the HC. 

If the NBA was interested in parity, they’d ditch the lottery. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

F the Spurs for winning the lottery. 

They didn't win shit. 

Silver placed Wemby on the Spurs. 

- Pop is a proven coach that also shares the company line on politics. 

- Wemby and his family have a relationship with Tony Parker. 

Meanwhile in Houston... 

- Fertitta is hosting Trump at The Post Oak. A huge NBA no-no. 

- The Rockets hired Ime who was suspended by the Celtics for banging a coworker's wife. 

The NBA Draft Lottery is the easiest thing to rig in professional sports. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

So... I can't get ATTSW and I'm old, so my steam game is wack... 

I'm at the game tonight. 

Dillon Brooks might be the best all around player on the team right now. 

Jabari needs plays called for him. 

Van leet can't shoot. 

Jalen Green is trading water. 

Al P Sure is going to be a constant. 

Need another big. Javale McGee is destroying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Starting 5 is good. The bench is a fucking disaster.

Bench was outscored 45-14, but Rockets still ran away with this game.

That's because the bench is slow and can't seem to score. Amen Thompson would have helped, but getting destroyed by Javale McGee down low was eye opening and concerning. 

NBA is going to go back to having true C, so a true backup C will also be required. Landale is tall but his feet were cinder blocks. 

It was one game, so...