Stolen Valor

MaybeACoordinator

To any Veteran discounting their service because they didn't see "action" in a war zone, STOP!!!  Immediately STOP!!! Your service was every bit as important as the service of those on the front lines and those in war zones.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

To any Veteran discounting their service because they didn't see "action" in a war zone, STOP!!!  Immediately STOP!!! Your service was every bit as important as the service of those on the front lines and those in war zones.  

I don’t discount my service.  I did not know I would never see combat.  

I was willing to, if called.

By the same token, the guy who DID get fired upon or face bodily harm had a different experience than I did.  It is not wrong to say so.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

These guys are relentless. If you’re going to pretend to be a veteran, you best not pretend you were a SEAL. 

I gather that some SEALs even have a problem with Jesse Ventura claiming to be a SEAL.  I think he was apart of the training/program before they were officially called SEALs.  Of course some of this is because many of them have a problem with Ventura for other reasons like his battle with Chris Kyle.

I don’t discount my service.  I did not know I would never see combat.  
I was willing to, if called.

By the same token, the guy who DID get fired upon or face bodily harm had a different experience than I did.  It is not wrong to say so.

I completely understand and agree with you. I was speaking to those that said they were almost “embarrassed” to accept thanks for serving.

Where to start... fake ass shit everywhere, maaaan, mostly in bars.

Lots of guys who never served feel compelled to claim they were in some mish-mash of combat units. We called these guys "Ranger Seals". There was one who tended bar at the Crown and Anchor around 2000. Ranger Seals never do something low-key like work in Motor Pool. They are backpacking nukes into Iran when not getting in knife-fights in Barcelona.

Ran into one American kid in France who had convinced his dimwit French girlfriend he was about to ship out because he had been "drafted" into the 82nd Airborne. This was 2002. He didn't know what an MOS was, I guess when you're the only guy in the US who gets drafted, they don't worry about an MOS.

When Occupy was squatting in downtown Birmingham, there was some "veteran" down there living in a box and wearing all his decorations. And boy was he decorated-- sumbitch must have cleaned out an Army-Navy store, all sorts of patches for units in different branches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hate said:

I improved the safety of Americans by being confined to armories and training areas at least once a month. Otherwise I would have been roaming the land, unsupervised.

• Like 1

We used to make our own ribbons and then wear them to inspections just to see if the O would notice. He never did. Took all the fun out of our hijinks. We'd give them elaborate names, all ready for the questions that never came. Boredom at sea will make you do strange things that don't involve a barrel.

edit: the "Sands Of Mallorca Campaign" ribbon was one of my faves. Piece of fine grit sandpaper carefully wrapped, quite impressive.

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Where to start... fake ass shit everywhere, maaaan, mostly in bars.

Lots of guys who never served feel compelled to claim they were in some mish-mash of combat units. We called these guys "Ranger Seals". There was one who tended bar at the Crown and Anchor around 2000. Ranger Seals never do something low-key like work in Motor Pool. They are backpacking nukes into Iran when not getting in knife-fights in Barcelona.

Ran into one American kid in France who had convinced his dimwit French girlfriend he was about to ship out because he had been "drafted" into the 82nd Airborne. This was 2002. He didn't know what an MOS was, I guess when you're the only guy in the US who gets drafted, they don't worry about an MOS.

When Occupy was squatting in downtown Birmingham, there was some "veteran" down there living in a box and wearing all his decorations. And boy was he decorated-- sumbitch must have cleaned out an Army-Navy store, all sorts of patches for units in different branches.

Not long after I got out I worked with this youngster (mid 20's) that really talked like he had served. He never straight out said that he served, but the way he talked it did seem like it.  Then one day he said that he had been a MSgt.  At that point I did have to come right out and ask.  Turned out that he was a cadet MSgt in AFROTC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

We used to make our own ribbons and then wear them to inspections just to see if the O would notice. He never did. Took all the fun out of our hijinks. We'd give them elaborate names, all ready for the questions that never came. Boredom at sea will make you do strange things that don't involve a barrel.

edit: the "Sands Of Mallorca Campaign" ribbon was one of my faves. Piece of fine grit sandpaper carefully wrapped, quite impressive.

wait...which branch?

Funny, but can't imagine it getting by a real inspection in my beloved Corps.  Maybe so, though...

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

wait...which branch?

Funny, but can't imagine it getting by a real inspection in my beloved Corps.  Maybe so, though...

Squids.

The ship I was on there wasn't much military discipline. 85 civilians and 18 or so of us mil types. Sometimes we'd have inspections in dress uni's on the mornings of port calls. We had just the one O, an Lt. I think it was his attempt at reminding us that we WERE in the Navy.

jlaw.gif

In the early '90s a guy at my dorm would always tell this story about how his Ranger unit with the 82nd Airborne was geared up for some special mission to capture Saddam. Supposedly they were all packed into a C130 or whatever with the engines running when the Iraqis surrendered so their mission was scrubbed at the last second. Guy was a complete chode who I wouldn't trust with a BB gun, but maybe there's a half a percent chance it was true.

6 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

In the early '90s a guy at my dorm would always tell this story about how his Ranger unit with the 82nd Airborne was geared up for some special mission to capture Saddam. Supposedly they were all packed into a C130 or whatever with the engines running when the Iraqis surrendered so their mission was scrubbed at the last second. Guy was a complete chode who I wouldn't trust with a BB gun, but maybe there's a half a percent chance it was true.

Yes, it is BS.  A Ranger in a “Ranger Unit” would be in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, BottleRocket said:

I have a buddy that was a Navy JAG officer that volunteered for two tours of duty in Dessert Storm.   He always joked that he was in it for the  lifetime $2 bourbon and cokes at the local VFW. 

Does he know Sarah Mackenzie? 

0464a2f61aa96e955ba4deefd2a6f8b7.jpg

Edited by JimmyHoffa
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, You don't know me said:

Not long after I got out I worked with this youngster (mid 20's) that really talked like he had served. He never straight out said that he served, but the way he talked it did seem like it.  Then one day he said that he had been a MSgt.  At that point I did have to come right out and ask.  Turned out that he was a cadet MSgt in AFROTC.

After I finished OSUT I went to my Guard unit and did whatever. It was a mix of young guys fresh out of basic on up to Vietnam vets adding some years onto their pension. We'd shoot the shit and the old sergeants would tell funny stories, and then sometimes some former active duty guy would transfer in, usually Army but sometimes from another branch. They'd tell more-recent funny stories.

After a few months of that, I had filed away a ton of Old Soldier funny stories. If I had quit right then, and felt like lying, I could have gone around for 20 years pretending I was a lifer, retelling everybody else's funny stories as my own. Especially if I was in a bar talking to a girl. I am sure that's how these guys start.

16 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

16 hours ago, You don't know me said:

Yes, it is BS.  A Ranger in a “Ranger Unit” would be in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

This. There are Ranger "qualified" or tabbed in the 82nd, but as You don't know said,....the only Ranger units are in the Regiment (1st, 2nd, 3rd). Guy in your dorm was full of shit.

21 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some people don't like attention or having a fuss made about them.  You should respect their feelings.

I do.  I am strictly speaking about those that seem embarrassed to have not served in combat.  Their role in the military is crucial and the country could not be defended without their contributions.  

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Jograves said:

I graduated AIT right before Christmas and we all got like 10 days leave before having to report to our first posts. When I arrived at my unit, there was a story/rumor one of my basic training classmates got married over the break in his Class A uniforms. He promoted himself to master sergeant, gave himself a Combat Infantry Badge, Purple Heart, a Silver Star, and any other medal he could find. Must've looked like a North Korean general by the end of it. He was supposedly court-martialed after hanging his wedding photos in his locker. 

My friend was doing recruiting for a bit (USMC) and was talking with another recruiter, who told him about his old Sergeant. He noticed a small hole in the Sarge's blouse, right where an extra row of ribbons would go. Told Sarge, you need a new blouse, huh? Sarge said, "Oh, when I go to the high schools, I tack on a bunch of ribbons and shit and go as a Major!". He talked the young guy into going with him as a captain. Luckily for them, they never got caught.

Proud Sands of Mallorca vet
  • Haha 1

Squids.
The ship I was on there wasn't much military discipline. 85 civilians and 18 or so of us mil types. Sometimes we'd have inspections in dress uni's on the mornings of port calls. We had just the one O, an Lt. I think it was his attempt at reminding us that we WERE in the Navy.
jlaw.gif
USNS?

5 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:
20 hours ago, El Diablo said:
Squids.
jlaw.gif

USNS?

Yeah. I was #2 in our class out of A school and me and a buddy were advised to take that duty by someone in the know. That was my first exposure to life at sea in the Navy, lol. Individual staterooms. Waiters and menus at each meal. This was before the fleet became coed, we had women on board. I once ran out of liquor while at sea and went and drank with the civilian equivalent of the XO.

My dad was in the Navy but never served in combat. He was stationed in Guam for awhile and my two favorite stories were bout about the Guamanian run shop on the island. 

#1. Everything was delivered by boat (obviously) well every now and then they would get an air shipment that included things that couldn't be on a boat (like bottled beer) My dad hit 5 cases in the back under a bunch of overstock stuff so he could always get a case of bottles. His buddies would always ask where he got that and he would tell them he thought it was the last one.

#2. The shop sold Navy gear and he was in need of some more xyz shirts (no clue what they were) well he went in multiple times and he never could find his size- medium. So he finally asked the Guamanian owner when they were going to get more mediums in and the owner said- "We always sell out of them so I just stopped ordering them since we can't keep them on the shelves"

Sales 101 right there.  

56 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

My dad was in the Navy but never served in combat. 

Same here. My dad joined the USAF in '67, wanted to be an airplane mechanic so he could get a good job after the war. They made him a medic instead. When I was a kid, I asked him why he didn't have to go to Vietnam, he said "President Nixon didn't tell me to go, I guess." The closest he got to that war was when we went to the Philippines in '75. He retired in '93, no combat experience. 

On 7/9/2018 at 5:43 AM, Homercles said:

Believe he was on a spectacular documentary about BUD/S class 234, standup dude. I watched the whole thing on YT a few years about but they got wise and it’s mostly gone, which sucks because it was an incredible insight into just how excruciatingly difficult it it so make through Phases 1-3. I remember being incredibly moved when the honor grad finally made it on his third try.

its still on youtube   just google  discovery channel buds class 234

I saw the show as well, its class 234-   6 classes after Marcus Luttrell graduated.   It was completed in 2000, just before 9/11.  All those guys who graduated almost immediately went off to war.

*not that being SEAL's meant they werent going to be fighting, but at the time, the SEAL's actions were mostly small covert ops in small theater's.   But a year after they graduated (and thus had completed their trial in the teams), these guys were sent to Afghanistan in an all-out war about a month after the attacks and didnt "leave" until we needed guys in Iraq in 2003.   The guy "Lively" in this show has since retired and is now an IED expert for some contractor.    he shows up in some show about IED's sometime around 2010

Edited by AUS-97HORN

34 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Same here. 

Yep.  My Dad joined up in '43 after completing his BS in Civil Engineering at Wash U.  They sent him to Annapolis for officer training.  He had a bad asthma attack and they 4F'ed him, so he went to work for Curtis Wright designing wings on fighter planes.

Buddy of mine is a ten-year vet (army Cav Scout in Bosnia, artillery in Iraq, or maybe I have that in reverse) and posted this elsewhere:

I have thought a lot about this...I'd wager most veterans do...I am guilty as fuck for embellishing a good military story...not to add "valor" to my service but to make the story more fucking funny or entertaining...then there is the guy who has some sort of military service from a few years to a career who sits in a bar or at a family reunion or a gathering of friends and embellishes his career or experience for attention...this guy is more pathetic than piece of shit...doesn't deserve to be publicly flayed...pity is probably best...or just ignore them...true stolen valor (my opinion of course) is when someone falsifies their military service for personal/professional/monetary gain...these are the ones who misrepresent themselves for a gain...these are the ones who need to be outed...the first group...the military raconteurs are just telling you a fish/war story...the second group is begging for attention...the third group is seeking to gain from something they have not earned...not all groups are the same

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

I've been reading way too many of these case studies over the last few days, and this guy might be the funniest / most pitiful.

My  room mate is claiming to be a Green Beret Special Forces. He is only 20 years old and conceal carries a gun, he says he can because he is on the Isis hit list.

His name is Tyler Thomas Latvala 

He graduated the Army at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, 10/15/15

Basic Combat training 434th -Field artillery brigade

He claims he was stationed in San Antonio Texas.

E2 is on most of his paperwork we seen, although he wears Sergeant patches and claims he just got ranked up to sergeant last month. 

HE says he was deployed 12/28/17 to Afghanistan and came back on Sun. Jan.31, 2017 and was hit in head with a sledgehammer

HE says he was deployed 11/27/17 overseas and grenade went off by his head

HE says he was deployed 10/13/17 to Bolivia and was shot 3 times these missions only are for one or two days. Every time he comes home there isn't one single bruise or mark on him.

Then 11/24/17 he claims that his team was over in Afghanistan for a week but Tyler was approved not to go because I had just got in a car accident. I had a bunch of friends over for thanksgiving. In the middle of dinner I got a text from his Lieutenant ( Raines) claiming that they were getting shot at and that Tyler had to drive to our local base (Pax) and put in coordinates to fire a drone over there to where his Quick Reaction Force team was. 

He claims that he is on a special forces 1st group team. This is apparently a quick reaction force team. He is on a 4 man team. They are known as the broadsword. His caller ID is reaper122. His team consist of his Lieutenant Raines, Tyler (combat medic HIMSELF), Todd XXXXXX  (who he apparently goes to college of southern Maryland with), and the sniper who they call Silent. I have asked Tyler what "Silent" real name is and he said he doesn't know. 

Tyler said that I had to get a top security clearance in order for him to tell me certain information about missions, where he is going, and what he is doing. He had his "Lieutenant Raines" text me who I have never spoke on the phone with. Raines asked me questions that even Tyler would know. He said that nothing came up in my background except that I fought in high school and that I have a friend in Germany. All of which Tyler knew. Tyler said since I had nothing in my background that the NSA gave his Lieutenant permission to give me a security clearance, 

He claims that I am that I am the only one who knows about him being a green beret. Even his family and friends have no idea. He claims that he is a combat medic. After Medic school he went to school to be a green beret. He claims his family thought he was still in medic school so they don't know anything. Apparently a week into green beret training the command staff asked everyone who was a combat medic and Tyler Latvala raised his hand. So they sent him to Afghanistan and apparently he earned his green beret over in Afghanistan even though he never completed the training. He claims that while over in Afghanistan his whole platoon died and that Tyler was shot in the head with an ak47 that caused a tumor that causes seizures. He claims that he was shipped from Afghanistan to a base in Germany to have facial reconstruction surgery and recover and then from Germany they shipped him to Texas. He said that the army told his parents though that he got hurt in medic school because he was doing defense tactics and fell on a cinder block and that caused the tumor. 

Tyler is 20 years old and always conceal carries. We live in Maryland. You have to be 21 years old to own and possess a hand gun. I know Tyler owns at least two hand guns, and AR, Shot gun, and a world war 2 rifle. Tyler conceal carries a glock 19 everywhere he goes. The guns he owns don't even have serial numbers on them. 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:34 PM, Hate said:

I completely understand and agree with you. I was speaking to those that said they were almost “embarrassed” to accept thanks for serving.

Great line from Homeland season 1. Dude was captured and held for several years, finally gets back to the US. Everyone thinks he's a hero. His response: "I'm not a hero, I just didn't die."

There is a further gradation from "combat". In the Army you wear a patch on your right arm after you successfully deploy under conditions of active combat. There are several medals given when you actively engage in combat, though a lot of people complain that they don't always get the award despite having fired their weapons.

Then there are people who actually fight as a profession. These are the guys who signed up to fight and die. I don't get it. But I damn sure will lay down in front of the semi on their behalf. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

My dad was drafted just before the Korean War. He was already in Germany when hostilities started. He could have claimed he fought in Korea, but he always maintained that someone had to protect the frauleins from the commies.

And provide black market American cigarettes to the locals. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

I've been reading way too many of these case studies over the last few days, and this guy might be the funniest / most pitiful.

My  room mate is claiming to be a Green Beret Special Forces. He is only 20 years old and conceal carries a gun, he says he can because he is on the Isis hit list.

His name is Tyler Thomas Latvala 

He graduated the Army at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, 10/15/15

Basic Combat training 434th -Field artillery brigade

He claims he was stationed in San Antonio Texas.

E2 is on most of his paperwork we seen, although he wears Sergeant patches and claims he just got ranked up to sergeant last month. 

HE says he was deployed 12/28/17 to Afghanistan and came back on Sun. Jan.31, 2017 and was hit in head with a sledgehammer

HE says he was deployed 11/27/17 overseas and grenade went off by his head

HE says he was deployed 10/13/17 to Bolivia and was shot 3 times these missions only are for one or two days. Every time he comes home there isn't one single bruise or mark on him.

Then 11/24/17 he claims that his team was over in Afghanistan for a week but Tyler was approved not to go because I had just got in a car accident. I had a bunch of friends over for thanksgiving. In the middle of dinner I got a text from his Lieutenant ( Raines) claiming that they were getting shot at and that Tyler had to drive to our local base (Pax) and put in coordinates to fire a drone over there to where his Quick Reaction Force team was. 

He claims that he is on a special forces 1st group team. This is apparently a quick reaction force team. He is on a 4 man team. They are known as the broadsword. His caller ID is reaper122. His team consist of his Lieutenant Raines, Tyler (combat medic HIMSELF), Todd XXXXXX  (who he apparently goes to college of southern Maryland with), and the sniper who they call Silent. I have asked Tyler what "Silent" real name is and he said he doesn't know. 

Tyler said that I had to get a top security clearance in order for him to tell me certain information about missions, where he is going, and what he is doing. He had his "Lieutenant Raines" text me who I have never spoke on the phone with. Raines asked me questions that even Tyler would know. He said that nothing came up in my background except that I fought in high school and that I have a friend in Germany. All of which Tyler knew. Tyler said since I had nothing in my background that the NSA gave his Lieutenant permission to give me a security clearance, 

He claims that I am that I am the only one who knows about him being a green beret. Even his family and friends have no idea. He claims that he is a combat medic. After Medic school he went to school to be a green beret. He claims his family thought he was still in medic school so they don't know anything. Apparently a week into green beret training the command staff asked everyone who was a combat medic and Tyler Latvala raised his hand. So they sent him to Afghanistan and apparently he earned his green beret over in Afghanistan even though he never completed the training. He claims that while over in Afghanistan his whole platoon died and that Tyler was shot in the head with an ak47 that caused a tumor that causes seizures. He claims that he was shipped from Afghanistan to a base in Germany to have facial reconstruction surgery and recover and then from Germany they shipped him to Texas. He said that the army told his parents though that he got hurt in medic school because he was doing defense tactics and fell on a cinder block and that caused the tumor. 

Tyler is 20 years old and always conceal carries. We live in Maryland. You have to be 21 years old to own and possess a hand gun. I know Tyler owns at least two hand guns, and AR, Shot gun, and a world war 2 rifle. Tyler conceal carries a glock 19 everywhere he goes. The guns he owns don't even have serial numbers on them. 

Absolutely prodigious liar. Holy shit!