JFK Assassination 60 years ago today. Where were you?

Texzilla58

On 11/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, Texzilla58 said:

60 years ago today, I was almost 5. Mom was ironing clothes for us to drive from Ft Smith to Thanksgiving with family in Ft Worth and Oak Cliff. She was watching As the World Turns. This bulletin popped up and then Walter Cronkite came on with the news.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:04 PM, Hpara759 said:

4 1/2  sitting in my normal spot in front of the TV, mom was ironing making me watch "As The World Turns" probably (that was her favorite).....I remember asking her if he was dead...

Listen, it's already a cool story.

You don't need to use a sock account to post it twice.

That, or we can reunite some long lost family members.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Did you wave at Mr. McMurtry?

I was too busy eyeing the HS Football coach's wife. I heard she liked them young. 

BTW, my Dad used to own the Texaco station on the corner of the square. /csb

Edited by RPM

On 11/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, Bateshorn said:

The funny thing about this topic is how small Dealey Plaza is in person.  I thought that it would be this giant thing and Oswald made some crazy 1000 yard shot and that's why all the conspiracy theories are true.  Standing on the X on the road where the killing shot hit, it's not even 75 yards to the window in the book depository.  It immediately made me realize that anybody with a gun rest and a scope who didn't have  Parkinson's would have a solid chance of hitting a target in steady, slow moving vehicle. 

Oswald was 250 feet away and shooting at a moving target. He got off three rounds with an old Italian rifle in only six seconds, and scored two hits, including a head shot. He showed what one motivated marine with a rifle can do.

• Like 1

Yeah, between Full Metal Jacket and seeing Dealey Plaza as a young kid whilst visiting Dallas to see family...it looked massive and the shot had to be impossible.  Not saying I could replicate it.  But after becoming a seasoned marksman and then you grow up and realize everything seemed massive as a little kid.  You realize 75 yards on the angle, and the motorcade moving at 10mph...it was a tough shot to get a headwound...but nothing impossible.  Now I drive by Dealey Plaza regularly and sometimes don't even realize it until I'm already through it, it's just such a small space relatively speaking.  Whitman's shots were much more impressive considering he was shooting at people running a lot faster than 10mph (albeit for shorter distances) from a range far longer than 75 yards, from a much higher vantage point with the sun beating down on his eyeballs.  

But then, Italians make shittier guns.

The funny thing about this topic is how small Dealey Plaza is in person.  I thought that it would be this giant thing and Oswald made some crazy 1000 yard shot and that's why all the conspiracy theories are true.  Standing on the X on the road where the killing shot hit, it's not even 75 yards to the window in the book depository.  It immediately made me realize that anybody with a gun rest and a scope who didn't have  Parkinson's would have a solid chance of hitting a target in steady, slow moving vehicle. 

Exactly.  The first time I drove the route was my first OU weekend as a freshman.  I was shocked at how close Oswald was to the motorcade.   

15 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Exactly.  The first time I drove the route was my first OU weekend as a freshman.  I was shocked at how close Oswald was to the motorcade.   

Yeah, when you take into account both sides of the bridge, plus all the grassy areas and surrounding surface streets and overlooking buildings...it's a fair size.  But if you just look up from the general area of the motorcade and look up at the book building...it's pretty comfy environs.  Tight, even.  Almost as if, this exchange could have happened:

"Sir, we've checked this portion of the motorcade route.  Everything should be easily secured."

-Oh really, Agent Thomas?  What about that one building there which most of the floors of overlook this slow curve we're on?  Less than a football field away even on the diagonal.  Nothing else around but ground tourists we can easily monitor from the motorcade itself.  But that one building right on top of us, is that anything? 

"Don't worry sir, I checked with guy at the front desk.  They're closed tomorrow."  

Rob Reiner's JFK podcast supposedly ID's 4 shooters.  Four shooters can't fit in Dealey Plaza, somebody else is getting hit with 4 shooters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I've made dozens of harder deer kill shots than Oswald made that day.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Yeah I've made dozens of harder deer kill shots than Oswald made that day.

I also saw a special once with an 80 year old man with the exact same rifle make 4 shots in six seconds with ease.  The Mythbusters did this and had no problem doing it.  

The reality is that it's difficult to imagine such an inconsequential person having such an impact on someone that was consequential.  Yet, that's exactly what happened.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I also saw a special once with an 80 year old man with the exact same rifle make 4 shots in six seconds with ease.  The Mythbusters did this and had no problem doing it.  

The reality is that it's difficult to imagine such an inconsequential person having such an impact on someone that was consequential.  Yet, that's exactly what happened.  

This is true but I don’t see why it’s so hard for people to grasp.  The famous assassins, or would be assassins, of key figures since 1968 (RFK, MLK, Ford, Reagan, JPII) were obscure people.  

Isn't that kind of the point of being an assassin?  Remaining in obscurity so as to avoid suspicion and get closer to the target?  Although, "Previously Famous Assassins" would make a good band name.  

csb/ speaking of Dallas, was talking with a friend who worked in the Bush administration years ago as an Asst. Secretary.  They live not far from the Bushes now.  She laughed at herself because first time went over for dinner (2010 or so), they just intuitively brought some appetizer or dessert or whatever.  And secret service took it from them and just buried it in the kitchen and it never made it out to the dining room.  She spaced out and forgot that even after they left office, they still mostly follow the protocol, even with known guests, of plain-clothes agents do the shopping for food at random grocers so that no one tainted food supply could make it to just the one specific target.  You'd either have to poison an entire grocery store chain (not easy to do) or get to their specific bags of items en route to home/in the kitchen (basically impossible).  Obviously ex-Presidents still go out to eat and travel and all that but it's not widely announced so as to give some would-be assassin time to plan and infiltrate a restaurant or delivery service.  But right now, there is an obscure food service delivery driver who can make himself infamous for centuries if he has the stones.  Beware the lone concessioner of a fixed property.  Or so history has taught us.    

Sure it's an easy shot when you got help from the Secret Service, the CIA, the FBI, the Cubans, the Russians, the mob (all families), the Teamsters, the AFL-CIO, Connally, Yarborough, LBJ, Nixon, Jackie, the Freemasons, the Vatican, the Crown, the Roswell aliens that were brought back to life, and the Association of Former Students.

Charlie Day Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia GIF - Charlie Day Its Always  Sunny In Philadelphia Conspiracy - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, when you take into account both sides of the bridge, plus all the grassy areas and surrounding surface streets and overlooking buildings...it's a fair size.  But if you just look up from the general area of the motorcade and look up at the book building...it's pretty comfy environs.  Tight, even.  Almost as if, this exchange could have happened:

"Sir, we've checked this portion of the motorcade route.  Everything should be easily secured."

-Oh really, Agent Thomas?  What about that one building there which most of the floors of overlook this slow curve we're on?  Less than a football field away even on the diagonal.  Nothing else around but ground tourists we can easily monitor from the motorcade itself.  But that one building right on top of us, is that anything? 

"Don't worry sir, I checked with guy at the front desk.  They're closed tomorrow."  

Here's a couple of shots I took from about a decade ago.  Me standing on the x in one, some rando on the other (which really gives it scale). 

dealey1.jpg

dealey2.jpg

given that so many of the posters in this thread were actually alive, and the number of "true believers" is relatively low, and very few are dogpiling to support the "official story"....

last week i ran across a couple of artifacts that were just posted to the net within the last year

CBS aired a special on the Warren Commission the night the report was released, and that is very interesting; the "official story" was not yet cannon

if you don't think oswald was not on the top front step of the TSBD, it's not for you

nor is the following ....

if you have ever gone down the rabbit hole on this topic you know the name Mark Lane

he was one of the first to call shenanigans and the first to really do something about it

he was in dallas interviewing principle witnesses in the first 2 years, and in the case of Lee Bowers, he may have recorded the only Bowers interview before Bowers' "accident"

lane wrote a book "Rush to Judgment" which is canon; what is lost to history and only recently recovered was his documentary released in '67 of the same name

the Bowers and Holland interviews and their testimony are canon and were faithfully recreated by ITV in '88 and Stone in '91

for your viewing "pleasure".....