JFK Assassination 60 years ago today. Where were you?

Texzilla58

I didn’t see a thread on this. 9a879c867ff77e1ec41faa50d756263d.jpg

60 years ago today, I was almost 5. Mom was ironing clothes for us to drive from Ft Smith to Thanksgiving with family in Ft Worth and Oak Cliff. She was watching As the World Turns. This bulletin popped up and then Walter Cronkite came on with the news.

A couple days later my cousins and I are watching am cartoons. Program interrupts and it’s Oswald is getting transferred. I watched him get killed on TV eating my Rice Krispies wearing my pajamas.

Some conspiracy talk was immediate. He’s alive on a machine in the Parkland basement. but the narrative of a communist nutjob seemed plausible to my parents. My dad was federal leo, a postal inspector. he was a great detective and punched holes in the conspiracies as the years passed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I knew the date but didn’t realize it was the Friday after Thanksgiving.  In Fort Worth right now near the hotel he left for Dallas.  Just recently saw the photo album of the event they had planned for later thst night in Austin at Palmer.   Eerie as fuck.  

my mom was hanging out with a group of Maine High school friends outside Chicago.  One of whom was Hillary Rodham (they didn’t really know each other FTR).  My father was on a Perry Class frigate off the coast of Morocco.   Communicated to the rest of the fleet what had happenEd not knowing if it was true.  

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Rob Reiner, Soledad O’Brien, and a JFK conspiracy theorist walk into a book depository.  I forget how the rest goes but the names drop in TWO WEEKS!!!

Honestly did not realize he was such a JFK conspiracy nerd, and has been obsessed with since the late 60s.  He's actually got the money to do stuff as well.

22 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I didn’t see a thread on this.

60 years ago today, I was almost 5. Mom was ironing clothes for us to drive from Ft Smith to Thanksgiving with family in Ft Worth and Oak Cliff. She was watching As the World Turns. This bulletin popped up and then Walter Cronkite came on with the news.

I was in 3rd grade in Iowa.  My teacher Mrs. Woods was called to the principal’s office.  She returned crying and told us the President had been shot.  

We practiced the hide under your desk in case of nuclear attack drill a bunch after that.    

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Damn you are old!

I was had turned 5 a couple of months before  - and I remember that Saturday morning and all the channels stopped showing cartoons, and went to news coverage all about the same story. I was so confused, why not have 1 channel for news, why not have one show cartoons?

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Damn you are old!

I was had turned 5 a couple of months before  - and I remember that Saturday morning and all the channels stopped showing cartoons, and went to news coverage all about the same story. I was so confused, why not have 1 channel for news, why not have one show cartoons?

Unfortunately, Rupert Murdoch had the same thought.  

• Rage+1 1

200.gif
Rob Reiner, Soled O'Brien, and a few JFK researchers have a podcast going on where they claim some things and are going to release some names of shooters or whatever.

Who had the motive? The connections to pull it off? Joe DiMaggio. For both brothers fucking his ex wife then murdering her. How did Peter Lawford survive?

I knew the date but didn’t realize it was the Friday after Thanksgiving.  In Fort Worth right now near the hotel he left for Dallas.  Just recently saw the photo album of the event they had planned for later thst night in Austin at Palmer.   Eerie as fuck.  

my mom was hanging out with a group of Maine High school friends outside Chicago.  One of whom was Hillary Rodham (they didn’t really know each other FTR).  My father was on a Perry Class frigate off the coast of Morocco.   Communicated to the rest of the fleet what had happenEd not knowing if it was true.  

Actually Thanksgiving was the 28th. They had a LULAC dinner in Houston and flew to Ft Worth and stayed in the Hotel Texas (now the Hilton). Had a chamber of commerce breakfast event and then they flew to love field.

In San Antonio day before Kennedy and Johnson had a loud argument in the pres suite because LBJ had not settled the split between Connolly and Ralph Yarborough. That rift was never really mended and that was the early catalyst of the state moving to the GOP a decade later.

W. H. Auden, in one of the rightly best-remembered poems of the twentieth century, his “Musée des Beaux Arts”—the one about Bruegel’s painting “Landscape with the Fall of Icarus”—pointed out that horrible things take place “while someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along.” His point is that the things we recall forever—the fall of Icarus, the Archduke’s assassination—are actually tiny blips of action and explosion that occupy mere seconds of existential time, even while occupying endless presence in historical time.

It was surely what Walt Whitman was after, too, when, in the wake of that earlier assassination in 1865, he wrote the most profound and peculiar of American elegies, “When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom’d.” A poem that embraced the violent death of a President as, in the end, a positive and even sacred thing, emphasizing not only loss but the renewal that would take place—not through the cycle of nature alone but also through the collective action of the nation enduring and persisting: “the city at hand with dwellings so dense, and stacks of chimneys, / And all the scenes of life and the workshops, and the workmen homeward returning.”

Dealey Plaza is a moment in history, and it is just an ordinary place in an ordinary city. 

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-intimate-reality-of-the-jfk-assassination

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My Mom and Dad were part of those young JFK true believers.  She had already laid out mine and my brother's clothes for all of us to get dressed up and go to downtown Austin for the Presidential motorcade after JFK arrived from Dallas. 

My Dad came home from work unexpectedly (I assume to tell Mom the news), and she came outside tearfully to tell us that we wouldn't be going downtown after all.

They both took it pretty hard.  Rinse and repeat when RFK was killed.  We were camping out at Inks Lake when that news came down. 

I was 3, playing with my toys in front of the fireplace. My Mom started crying, and said a bunch of vocabulary that I didn't understand, ending with one word I knew: "present."

I couldn't understand what was wrong. A "present" meant happy times, toys, games. How could a present make you cry?

Of course, that was the day I learned the word for "President," which is what she was talking about.

My wife's grandfather was a Justice of the Peace in deep East Texas from the early 60s through the mid 90s.  He and my wife's grandmother had tickets to a Democratic fundraiser event in Austin the night of November 22, 1963 where JFK was speaking.  They drove up the day before and spent that morning in Austin.  My wife got two things when her grandfather passed.  His gavel and the two admission tickets to that event that were never used.  

https://shapell.org/manuscript/jfk-texas-november-22-1963-ticket/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Did she know Jake Epping?  I think sometime around 2011, he was a high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, ME.

• Hook 'Em 2

My mom was three years old.

Anyway, I always find this audio of the news being shared with the audience at the Boston Symphony to be particularly chilling.

https://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_D45936FAA8634E51B92408351A24CCAA#:~:text=On November 22nd%2C 1963%2C at,March from Beethoven's third symphony.

And a short article with a bit more context

• Like 3

I was 10 years old and in the 5th grade in Houston.  Our teacher, Harriet Hokanson, left the classroom and when she returned it was obvious she’d been crying.  She left the room again and Robert Kilmer, this goofy guy who still wore a Mickey Mouse ears hat in the 5th grade, told everyone our teacher had been fired.  We told him he was full of crap.  No announcement about the assassination was made at school.  However, when school ended that day the news spread quickly.  When I made it home, my mom met me at the front door and confirmed the news.  The rest of 1963 was surreal.  Camelot was no more.

13 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Haven’t heard as much conspiracy shit since Bugliosi came with a book thicker than my cock.

i still watch JFK as a guilty pleasure. Mainly for Candy and Pesci.

Shots ruined my dad’s 8th grade b-day party set for the next day.

My dad’s 30th bd was 11/22/63. Happy birthday!

• Hook 'Em 2

My mom was in nursing school at Parkland Hospital that day and was about to take her nursing exam. As the students were gathered in the room waiting for the exam to start, one of the ladies walked in all excited as she had heard JFK had come to Parkland. They were confused because he wasn't set to visit the hospital. They all went down to the ER area to see if they could get a glimpse of him only to find lots of police and military in the ER area. They were quickly ushered away by some of the staff and went back to their classroom. A student and her boyfriend came into the classroom. The boyfriend was an intern who was asked to wheel JFK's gurney into the ER. He informed the class that JFK had been shot and there was no way he was going to make it based on what he had seen. As they started to panic, the instructor came in and told them what she knew and that they obviously weren't going to do the exam today and to go home. My mom loved Kennedy. He was the first candidate for President that she was able to cast a vote for. She was devastated. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The funny thing about this topic is how small Dealey Plaza is in person.  I thought that it would be this giant thing and Oswald made some crazy 1000 yard shot and that's why all the conspiracy theories are true.  Standing on the X on the road where the killing shot hit, it's not even 75 yards to the window in the book depository.  It immediately made me realize that anybody with a gun rest and a scope who didn't have  Parkinson's would have a solid chance of hitting a target in steady, slow moving vehicle. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2