R.I.P. Former Tennessee Titans TE Frank Wycheck

Vic Mackey

Fuck, that sucks. I really liked him when he was in the Skins.

We had one of the parents of some of my sons friends have this happen, luckily survived though. I actually think about it every time I bend over by the bathroom counter these days, mentally tell myself be careful not to take a header

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Family is donating his brain for study. If the information in this reddit thread is accurate, CTE has been wrecking his life for awhile. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/18f998w/former_titans_te_frank_wycheck_hero_of_music_city/

Football is as popular as ever. All of my kids' friends play and parents can't get them in tackle football soon enough.  I don't get it.  There is too much science that says football is a really bad idea. My 12 year old and 9 year old beg me to play. They play soccer and happen to have really strong and accurate legs. I told them their ticket to a football uniform is to continue to build their leg strength and accuracy, because if you can kick a ball consistency through an upright from 45 yards away, you can write your ticket in college.

9 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Football is as popular as ever. All of my kids' friends play and parents can't get them in tackle football soon enough.  I don't get it.  There is too much science that says football is a really bad idea. My 12 year old and 9 year old beg me to play. They play soccer and happen to have really strong and accurate legs. I told them their ticket to a football uniform is to continue to build their leg strength and accuracy, because if you can kick a ball consistency through an upright from 45 yards away, you can write your ticket in college.

I tell any HS football olineman or dlineman to learn to deep snap.  Shoot , Texas’ snappers are all about 225lb.   I think coaches would love a snapper that’s about 260+.  I remember Tony Siragusa said he basically made the Final Cut his rookie year because he said he could deep snap. 

anyways rip wychek.  Loved that era of the titans cause I was holding onto the memories of the oilers. 

18 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

We aren't a smart species. The science is pretty clear, and people still line up to bash their heads together. And plenty of us pay good money to watch it happen. 

9 hours ago, G650 said:

Fuck, that sucks. I really liked him when he was in the Skins.

Yeah me to. Very sad news.

I was trying to remember why he stopped playing for the Skins and went to Houston and read this little tidbit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1995/08/17/ex-terrapin-wycheck-is-cut-by-the-redskins/9f64a535-3315-44c0-b0a7-7a87adc337ea/

Nicknamed "Crash," Wycheck's two-year Redskins career was disrupted by two concussions and a four-game suspension for having tested positive for steroids. Wycheck has always said he was unaware that steroids were in a solution called DMSO, which he used on his own to treat a thigh injury in July of 1994.

"Crash" eh? Two concussions in just that short time he was with the team? Damn.

Probably some CTE there alright.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Now do smoking, unprotected sex, and pick your poison. There’s a lot of science indicating these are a bad idea, too.