2024 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Bones sees the writing on the wall.  JT is finished.  he's just not a serious threat anymore.  hope Bones goes back to on course reporting full-time.  he's fantastic.

I agree with the second half of this. JT isn't washed. In his own head? Yeah. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Most all golfers go through a lull, even Rory. It's rare to have a career where you're consistently dominant in the post-Tiger era (no one comes to mind). The competition is too great, the upcoming youth is far more skilled, and the number of swing thoughts, philosophies, etc is dizzying. So many opportunities to get punched in the mouth and then not know what to do about it and as someone more skilled than I said (paraphrasing), golf is the one sport you can practice 24/7 and get significantly worse at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Or Bones always being right was getting old.

Golf is obviously a very mental game if you let yourself go down the rabbit hole.

Sometimes, no matter how ridiculous it is, people need a change to get their head out of their ass. I think when Cheech fixes Costner on the range at the US Open in Tin Cup encapsulates the mental aspect of it really well. It’s real easy to overthink the game, your game, your life, and all the other shit at the same time. All just a tick here and there, and you don’t notice. Next thing you know your heads so full of shit you can’t find that calm and just play golf.

Posted (edited)

JT and Bones never gelled. Never liked what I heard in their on course convos. Always Bones talking JT into hitting something he wasn't comfortable with. JT needs a "show up, keep up, shut up" guy. Give him the yardage and let him do the rest.

Edited by Pam Cummings

30 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Jordan doing Jordan things - low round on the course -5 thru 15, 7 birdies, 2 wallys bogeys, to be in the top 10  (for now - afternoon tee times still to go)

Did you see him hit the sprinkler head on the fringe? It had to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My college roommate played against Phil junior golf through high school, and at night when everyone else was cutting up and trying to get people to buy them cases of beer, Phil was in his hotel room, with a legal pad, replaying every shot he had hit that day, taking notes and strategizing the the next day. Dude was on a whole other mental level.

I played a round with all the Lake Highlands golfers class of ‘90 at Royal Oaks and was in a foursome with Justin Leonard, about a month before he went to UT and he was so focused it was like he was playing alone. IIRC he shot like a 65. He was pleasant enough, but it was understood “all you chuckleheads are going to play juco golf, I’m out to win.”

Whole other level.

• Hook 'Em 1

I admire the hell out of anyone with a focus like that. Golf or whatever. That passion that never dies, is always hungry, and lasts a lifetime. 

That vid of Phil rattling off all that yardage shit like he’s having a leisurely morning coffee was insane. Knowing your number base, and then calculating all that is a pretty big task. Knowing if the lie is flat or angled in whatever direction, grain of the grass, the lie itself, wind, sun, humidity, altitude, the whole lot. And if it’s an approach shot, the green also factors in with its own set of most of the above.

Then that video of Scottie calling his numbers? Fucking hell. He obviously puts in a fuck ton of work for that, but he’s just got a raw talent that makes it look simpler than it is. 

• Like 1