2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

13 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This here was good advice.  I didn't use it as effectively as my old man did but he is also on this train with alignment.  Appreciate the help.  I have a very hard time taking lessons from the range to the course because no one can give me practical items I can do on the fairway or from the rough.

Side note, PXG is selling the gen1 irons for $175 a stick if it hasn't been mentioned.

Get a pro to spend two hours with you on the course.  Do it on a slow day when you can get about 12 holes in a couple of hours.  I did that a few years ago and it was well worth it.  A pro can give you great tips on course management and how you should play specific holes according to your skill level.  Sometimes the shot selection and strategy is not as obvious as you would think.  His advice on and around the greens was especially helpful.

15 hours ago, drewlaws said:

Amazing. Thanks for posting. I've never seen any photos from the rooms. Definite bucket list item.

I highly recommend staying in the Inn (where this was taken).  It's less expensive than the cottages and in the main Lodge (pictured), nicer and better located than the Lily Pond rooms, and has its own lounge/bar.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:16 PM, DDD Dad said:

Saturday at sunset on Pacific Dunes.

Absolutely stunning.

96a457a6f62fbb850c74423a2a0b7176.jpg

Apparently that's me in the foreground (orange hat).  Didn't even realize it when I posted.  One of the guys in the group behind us took the pic and I didn't look closely until someone in the group pointed it out.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:27 AM, Jhawk said:

This here was good advice.  I didn't use it as effectively as my old man did but he is also on this train with alignment.  Appreciate the help.  I have a very hard time taking lessons from the range to the course because no one can give me practical items I can do on the fairway or from the rough.

Side note, PXG is selling the gen1 irons for $175 a stick if it hasn't been mentioned.

I fired on that deal. Hit the range for a bit yesterday. Jury is out but it was cold and wet so a bit hard to get a great feel.  First impression is no distance gain relative to my old ping isi set.  One thing that most consider a plus is there are very straight. I was hoping for a bit more maneuverability.  Got the 311 xf 3-5 and 311 6-W. 

6y1qtf.jpg

Edited by brown water
  • Like 1

It has come to my attention that is is time for some lessons. I’m in Richmond, on the west side of Houston. Anyone on here provide lessons or know someone in my area?

Try the staff at Meadowbrook Farm. I took lessons from Layne Ricks years ago and he was good. He is the GM of the club now.

He’s at Shadow Hawk and I don’t know if he can give lessons to nonmembers but Scott Hause would be very good as well.

I’m an old man now. Ain’t much time left, but there are three things that made life worth living.

First, hitting your first home run. A life changer for sure. It makes a young boy feel like a king as he rounds the bases, especially third and he sees home plate for the first time. Only after does the boy realize how awkward he did it because he never thought about what to do after hitting the home run.

Second is bringing in a large game fish. It don’t have to be Marlin, just big and hard to get in the boat. Something primordial satisfying about beating such a wonderful animal in their own environment.

And lastly, and to the point of this thread. The perfectly hit long iron. Preferably in the 180 to 200 yard range. A swing where you can’t quite remember how you pulled it off afterwards. A swing where you stayed within yourself and were able to coordinate your body to release the club head at the perfect time. To catch it dead in the screws as they say. The feeling of how effortlessly such a perfect swing produces not only a perfect flight of the ball. But the trance you fall into watching it track towards the target. Then seeing confirmation when it hits the green bounces once, maybe twice and checks like it had Benbo brakes stopping but a few feet from the flag. Very few of us hit such shots like that frequently, and that is what makes those shots, as well as the game of golf super special. 

• Like 3

Well I've officially ordered my netting and a truestrike mat for my indoor range.  Next month I'll grab my projector, ballistic screen, and skytrak to complete the indoor simulator.  With that, I'm setting some goals for myself going into May 2019 and then through the season.

Keep in mind that I finished the season with a 19.1 index.

1. Hit 10,000 balls by March.

2. Play 6 winter rounds (travel golf being that I'm in KC)

3. Shoot sub-90 in my first 10 rounds of golf next season (in season, not counting the travel rounds)

4. Attend an aimpoint putting class/seminar

5. Get new wedges.

6. By the end of August get my index below 14.

7. Play 40 rounds of golf in 2019.

What are your goals to get better?

Guys, I know I’ve been lacking participation this year in the thread. Mostly because I was grinding to advance my career. (Some of you in this thread have known for a while)

Well, a few weeks ago it happened. I was offered and accepted a position at Titleist world HQ here in Massachusetts. I am beyond pumped. While the club pro life was a blast but it’s time to take my career to the next level.

I will happily help if any of you are interested in our stuff. Anyways, just wanted to give a quick update. Ok cool. Hook ‘Em. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, longhorn10 said:

Guys, I know I’ve been lacking participation this year in the thread. Mostly because I was grinding to advance my career. (Some of you in this thread have known for a while)

Well, a few weeks ago it happened. I was offered and accepted a position at Titleist world HQ here in Massachusetts. I am beyond pumped. While the club pro life was a blast but it’s time to take my career to the next level.

I will happily help if any of you are interested in our stuff. Anyways, just wanted to give a quick update. Ok cool. Hook ‘Em. 

Congrats.  I need a new 3 wood and about 500 prov1s.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

500?!?

Are you playing with @OCSpur?

I'm planning on dominating the 2019 Thread.  Turn 40 next year and using every inch of rope wife will give me for trips.  Got something in April, June, July, and September lined up and have a couple of potential lifetime course goals being worked on.

That's impressive.  I lose about 2 balls every 3 rounds and the two courses I would consider "home" are tight off the tee.  I think that is insane for a 19 index.  That should tell you everything you need to know about my game.  Short game and alignment have to come into focus next year.

8 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Congrats on the job. That’s awesome. A golf career is a dream of mine. Feel like it’s one where you are really stepping off a ledge and you either are all in or all out. Happy to hear you’re making the most of it!

The club pro side is definitely a wild ride but fun. A lot more of the stepping off the ledge type than the corporate side(if you can get in). I was all in and it paid off. Appreciate the kind words guys.

Edited by longhorn10

2 minutes ago, chitwood said:

You have to work hard to lose a ball at Bandon.

Oh I've done it.  But yes, even more so now than before they undertook some pretty massive gorse removal, the courses are pretty wide open off the tee.

Bandon Trails offers the most opportunities to lose balls.  That didn't make the rotation this trip.  Old Mac is completely wide open, and I just happened to hit it pretty straight this time.  Didn't putt worth a lick (never broke 80 but shot 80 once or twice).

11 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

50-75 yards out in horrid AF. I fly long every shot guaranteed.  I’ve found myself laying up now trying to land 1-125 out because I’m more accurate. Other than hitting a 10000 balls in this range for practice. Any tips?  Anyone else struggle with this yardage? 

I usually just swing a little less hard, but that's me.

50-75 yards out in horrid AF. I fly long every shot guaranteed.  I’ve found myself laying up now trying to land 1-125 out because I’m more accurate. Other than hitting a 10000 balls in this range for practice. Any tips?  Anyone else struggle with this yardage? 

What degree wedges do you have to start with? Do you have three as I think most of us do at this point? For me, a comfortable (80%ish, shoulder high to shoulder high) swing with my 60* is 60 yards, 56* is 75 yds and 52* is 90yds.

Also, with all of my clubs, I am comfortable choking down the club 1-3”, with the expectation that each inch represents 7-10% of that club’s distance.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

How often do you see tour players with that yardage?  Never. There's a reason for that.  Too far to just use feel and too short to swing full.  But tour pros practice 80 to 40 yards non stop.  And all of them use different philosophies.  Everyone struggles with those yardages to answer your question.

Here's what I do now.  I have a swing with my 60 deg wedge that I know will carry exactly 50 yards.  Full grip, ball back in my stance, left arm to what feels like 9 o'clock on the backswing, and accelerate through impact to a cutoff finish.  If I need to carry it 60 yards.. same exact swing with my 54 deg.  70 yards is same swing with my PW.  80 yards is a full swing 60 deg for me so my gaps are now covered.  If I have 55 yards I still use the same exact swing, but I'll just choke down on the 56.  That gives me 5 yard gaps using the same swing from about 45 yards to 70 yards.  Like I said though, everyone has their own method.. and yes, you have to practice a lot or just keep laying up to 100 yards...

apreciate it.  I felt like i was a solid 65-75 with my 56 pretty consistent.   Saturday i flew every green from that distance with what I thought was easy swings.  that was the 2nd weekend in a row that occured.   glad im not the only one  appreciate it gents

hit em straight

Always start by looking at the line from 90*. Obviously this helps clarify uphill/downhill, even though your speed is good. But, it also reminds you to check the left/right break from the lower end. Ie, a downhill putt you want to check from behind the hole. An uphill putt, you can usually just check left/right break from behind the ball.

Make sure your not visualizing a breaking putt entering the middle of the hole as you look at it. Ie, a lightly breaking right to left putt will enter the right corner of the hole. A strongly breaking putt will almost enter the side.

Uphill putts will break more as they have more time to turn. Downhill putts will break less because they have less time to turn.

Go stand directly over the cup and see if one edge is brown. If so the grass is growing in that direction (if it was growing the opposite direction it would cover the brown spot, which is why the other side of the hole from that brown edge is probably the greenest). Putts will have a tendency to break in that direction right as they die, so account for that.

• Like 2

Actually I’m pretty good from about 40-65 yards. One of the better areas of my game.

For me it’s a 60 degree wedge and all feel. The key is to accelerate through but adjust the length of the backswing and choke down as you get closer.

My full swing 60 is about 75 yards.

Also I’m a big feel player and have pretty good hands due to playing lots of tennis growing up.

Put this bad boy up just before thanksgiving. I started tracking how many balls I hit on Friday. Between Friday and Sunday I hit 530 balls. Played on Saturday. Skytrak monitor is on order this week so I can have some feedback. Going to study good practice range routines this week so I can practice with a purpose.

be95814b89bb64e666226359190d5030.jpg

3024986bca927925cad15a6e5ff5afb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Homecourse golf for the screen/net and landing pad underneiath.  $2k for the screen and $150 for the pad.  It comes with ceiling mounts but I have 14 foot ceilings in my loft so I went and bought heavy duty L-Brackets at home depot and mounted it on the wall.  It mounts about 8'10" up and hangs perfectly. 

The hitting mat is truestrike which is probably on eof the most premium mats on the market at $750.  Doing the research I found that most mats have a feedback fluctuation of 15-20% off from what your ball will actually do.  Some kill distance and some enhance it.  I'm trying to really document my distances this winter so I paid up.  The truestrike mat is allegedly at 5% variance which is best in market.

SkyTrak (made by skycaddie) is on order and currently on sale.  Original price is $2k but it is $300 off right now so I popped for that.  Trackman at $15k+ is out of my budget with the other stuff (non-golf) that I want to do this winter so I went with something that can give me a good reading and won't break the bank because of radar sensors and whatnot.  I read a side by side comparision between Skytrak and trackman and it averaged 2% off from what the trackman measured.  The biggest variance was in long distance shots (driver) and the only metric that was "considerably" off from trackman was the driver.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get from a projection standpoint.  My room is about 18" wide and the net hangs 20" away from the wall.  Once again the high ceiling could cause me some mounting issues there.  I'll probably grab a douche from an electronics store to come over and help me with my options there.  Parents said they'd grab me a projector for a bday/xmas combo gift.  I should be all in at around $5k not including the cost of the projector.

I played Falconhead for the first time last week with @Horn21.

It was a great course.  I didn't score for shit (I'm blaming the fact that I'm 1/2 way through a swing renovation), but it was tons of fun.  It's the typical deal, there were a few great shots that always keep me coming back.  We teed of a 2p and I thought we'd have a chance to make it around before dark, being a Tuesday afternoon and all, but we ran out of light with 4 holes left.  Not worries tho, Horn21 to the rescue with light up golfballs.  We finished 18 in complete/utter darkness.  It was a blast, I'd like to do it again soon.

Another ridiculous round Sunday at Lakeside.  Bombing drives on the front and irons are comically bad.  Lost 6 balls.  One swing thought change and then it's 4 approach shots within 10 feet on the back including a kick in on 16.

9 shots better on the back.  I need to play more.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:08 AM, Jhawk said:

Put this bad boy up just before thanksgiving. I started tracking how many balls I hit on Friday. Between Friday and Sunday I hit 530 balls. Played on Saturday. Skytrak monitor is on order this week so I can have some feedback. Going to study good practice range routines this week so I can practice with a purpose.

be95814b89bb64e666226359190d5030.jpg

3024986bca927925cad15a6e5ff5afb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet setup jhawk, a shank into the TV screen would be both heartbreaking and comically unmatched...

13 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

sweet setup jhawk, a shank into the TV screen would be both heartbreaking and comically unmatched...

I haven’t had a hozzle rocket in a few years. Hopefully I can keep that from happening. Hit another 150 balls last night. Been keeping track of how many I hit in a spreadsheet. I’m currently on pace to hit over 20k balls with 94 days left until 3/1. I also got 1 round in Saturday and just booked Quintero, Troon north, and boulders on the troon pass with my old man for the weekend of the 27th. That’ll put me at 4 offseason rounds out of my goal of 6. Headed to Orlando in February to get 4 more in. Going to be ready for 2019 come opening day. 

As an aside, it dawned on me that I can hit balls with each club to groove good contact but that won’t necessailry help with skill shots. Getting with my pro this week to get a solid range routine out together so I’m proficient in various shots with all my clubs. 

On 11/27/2018 at 12:13 PM, Mileslong said:

hear is a nice breakdown of 20 of the new golf rules for 2019

There will be some screw ups at first.  I know a guy who was certain that effective 1/1/19 he can legally ground his club any time in a bunker.  

I like the new flag stick rule as well as the change regarding dropping on the opposite side of a lateral hazard.