Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy.

shadow_operative

Lulz.  I saw this quote the other day on here.  Didn't recall it.  Randomly decided to watch Lonesome Dove for the first time since, oh, 1997.  There it is.  Love this series, but the geography is driving me crazy.  I'm guessing the series had to speed up the book - hence Gus seemingly ending up in the panhandle (Llano Estacado) just after Lane's character gets taken outside of San Antonio.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.  I saw this quote the other day on here.  Didn't recall it.  Randomly decided to watch Lonesome Dove for the first time since, oh, 1997.  There it is.  Love this series, but the geography is driving me crazy.  I'm guessing the series had to speed up the book - hence Gus seemingly ending up in the panhandle (Llano Estacado) just after Lane's character gets taken outside of San Antonio.

I just finished the book a couple of days ago. Started watching the mini series yesterday. That's one thing that bothered me even in the book - some of the distances traveled in a short period of time on horseback. Also sometimes the geography is just plain wrong - mainly in regards to certain rivers' proximity/orientation to the towns/cities. My guess is that he was liberal in his use of "east" or "west" just as they probably were back then. That's how I justified it to my own brain. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I just finished the book a couple of days ago. Started watching the mini series yesterday. That's one thing that bothered me even in the book - some of the distances traveled in a short period of time on horseback. Also sometimes the geography is just plain wrong - mainly in regards to certain rivers' proximity/orientation to the towns/cities. My guess is that he was liberal in his use of "east" or "west" just as they probably were back then. That's how I justified it to my own brain. 

Got it.  I hate when folks pick nits, so I try not to do so.  They just about criss-crossed the state when heading north.

In reading about McMuttry, paint me surprised that he also wrote Terms of Endearment.  I had no idea.  Also, funny side note that you probably already know since you read the book.  The original town of Lonesome Dove was actually located in modern Southlake.  Weird.

20 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Got it.  I hate when folks pick nits, so I try not to do so.  They just about criss-crossed the state when heading north.

In reading about McMuttry, paint me surprised that he also wrote Terms of Endearment.  I had no idea.  Also, funny side note that you probably already know since you read the book.  The original town of Lonesome Dove was actually located in modern Southlake.  Weird.

Dad gave us Lonesome Dove and The Last Picture Show. Son gave us Choctaw Bingo and Blackberry Winter. 
Not bad. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:55 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

You probably shouldn't watch 1883 then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1