USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

21 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Jesus Christ, there is Marsh right there!!!  Just pluck him out of the booth and kick Gregg into the Gggutter.

Tony Meola may not know all the names of his players, but he seems more knowledgeable than Gerg.

Gotta admit--in the waning seconds of the match, just before the accidental equalizer, I found myself resigned to a loss but hoping for a silver lining, i.e., this embarrassing result would finally motivate USSF to dump Gergg and get a real coach.

So when the tying goal found the back of the net in bonus stoppage time, I was simultaneously elated and disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Gotta admit--in the waning seconds of the match, just before the accidental equalizer, I found myself resigned to a loss but hoping for a silver lining, i.e., this embarrassing result would finally motivate USSF to dump Gergg and get a real coach.

So when the tying goal found the back of the net in bonus stoppage time, I was simultaneously elated and disappointed.

I didn’t watch, but I would have loved a loss. 

Jamaica with their scrub team beating our best 23 man roster in years…

That would have been glorious for those of us who hate Gregg & US Soccer’s bullshit. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I love that we won last night, I really do, but fuck that. Seconds away from a loss because GGG plays the dumbest fucking strategy in the history of US soccer. That second half was fucking infuriating. 

Down 1 in the 93rd minute GGG fucking behinds the back an out of bounds ball. I was about to punch my fucking TV. 

Then he gets fucking validated that his shit style of just do nothing and hope for a corner goes in. I guess we needed that behind the back mojo.

Happy, but pissed. 

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This is exactly how I felt. Like this is going to get GGGGGGG fired, and then that.

Edited by Juicy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I don't think we have any evidence for that. 

You're probably right--for whatever reason, Gergg is bulletproof. But as a fan, I was striving to find a silver lining to what would have otherwise been an embarrassing defeat.

• Hook 'Em 2

I can't root against our guys so I'll never want them to lose, but it infuriates knowing they stand little chance of putting their best feet forward at the expanded Copa America this summer. I'm almost as excited for that as I would be for a World Cup.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Ggerg is bullet proof as long as he wins. But this team is going to run into teams very soon that we won’t beat and things could change. 

I don't think losing to Uruguay is going to have the same stink of failure as losing to Jamaica. But one could hope. 

45 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I don't think losing to Uruguay is going to have the same stink of failure as losing to Jamaica. But one could hope. 

The bigger problem is that I really think with Ggerg coaching these guys, we could easily fail to make it out of the group. A loss to Uruguay + 1 more inexplicable loss and we don't advance.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah this is fucking atrocious. 

Hey man - y'all fucking do. A lot. 

But sometimes - like tonight - he's just that shitty. 

Going back to this really quick

The problem is that he's ALWAYS shitty. He doesn't bring out the best in these guys, and its infuriating since we've seen two interim coaches do so much more with this team.

Herc nails it here:

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

• Hook 'Em 1

I think that Herc Gomez is on the outs with US Soccer, but ESPN loves that he has experience playing in Mexico 🇲🇽 & the USA 🇺🇸, plus USMNT experience at a World Cup. 

No one else feels comfortable speaking the truth, because if they do then they won’t be selected to call USMNT games or be part of the studio team. For people who have almost no other bankable skills but to talk about soccer, that is a huge deterrent to speaking the truth. 

It isn’t like all of these former players think that Berhalter is great. They know that he’s shit, but he is friends with the powers that be and US Soccer feels comfortable with him. 

I really wish that there hadn’t been an own goal at the buzzer.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that Herc Gomez is on the outs with US Soccer, but ESPN loves that he has experience playing in Mexico 🇲🇽 & the USA 🇺🇸, plus USMNT experience at a World Cup. 

No one else feels comfortable speaking the truth, because if they do then they won’t be selected to call USMNT games or be part of the studio team. For people who have almost no other bankable skills but to talk about soccer, that is a huge deterrent to speaking the truth. 

It isn’t like all of these former players think that Berhalter is great. They know that he’s shit, but he is friends with the powers that be and US Soccer feels comfortable with him. 

I really wish that there hadn’t been an own goal at the buzzer.

Is that how it is in Argentina too or are they constantly talking shit?

50 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

There were 4 sports channels when I lived there and each channel had round table shows discussing soccer.

It’s everywhere, so you could point out the failings of managers and still work. 

I think that even Diego was getting criticized for stinking up the place during qualifying for 2010, especially after Argentina lost 6-1 to Bolivia (or 6-0) due to Diego’s plan of flying to altitude the day before the game and then pressing all over the field. (La Paz, Bolivia is over 2 miles above sea level.)

And when Diego & friends finally secured qualification (in a downpour on a marginally offsides goal before the days of VAR), Diego repeatedly barked to reporters in the hall outside of the locker room:

”Who’s going to suck me next?”

In English we would say “Blow me” or “suck my dick”. 

A national hero on the pitch and a national embarrassment off of it. You could take Diego out of the ghetto, but you couldn’t take the ghetto out of Diego.

But Diego was chosen as the manager after the previous manager had been fired during qualifying. In Argentina, it wasn’t unheard of for a manager not to make the it through qualifying, but the federation tried to choose wisely so that they didn’t have to make a change, but the press didn’t refrain from criticizing the manager if the guy sucked ass. 

Diego Maradona & Lionel Scaloni are the only two managers I know of who had less of a managing resume than Gregg, but one was a legend and the other was an assistant coach that filled in on a temporary basis and proved to be amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:08 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Tearing down national managers is a past time in most countries. The federations close ranks, but the media calls them out  the US might be an outlier  

Speaking of breaking down … this is a great watch. 

4 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

... and all of the firstrowsports streams seem to not be working.  Anyone have something?

I took advantage of a free Paramount+ trial ... 7 days, but if you don't cancel before then, you'll have to pay a sub fee.

So just cancel after today's stream.