New Music 2024

mdmost

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s been out a bit but Kim Gordon’s new album is amazing. No 70 year old should be releasing shit like this.

I haven’t listened to this album or anything, but my first impression of this song and video is that it’s one piece of a story told within the album. I listened to the song and thought “are these lyrics her shopping list?”

As the song progressed and given the title “bye bye”, I wondered what is she fleeing from? What is her destination?

This is art.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:03 PM, Red Five said:

I must be missing something with Vampire Weekend. I’ve tried, and I don’t think I’ve heard one song of theirs that I enjoyed.

i for the most part agree with you, but do really enjoy "this life."

On 4/6/2024 at 9:01 AM, CooterBrown said:

It’s been out a bit but Kim Gordon’s new album is amazing. No 70 year old should be releasing shit like this.

I loved Sonic Youth, but this was too experimental for me.  Felt like she was channeling Ciccone Youth.

I'm really digging the new Old 97's record. I think it's my favorite of theirs since "Most Messed Up."

The first three tracks are classic Old 97's rockers. Also really dig the two Murry songs and also "Western Stars."

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah really love the new Vampire Weekend.

While I liked the sprawling “jam band” vibe of “Father of the Bride” at the time, I don’t go back to it too often just because it’s so unweildy.

”Only God Above Us” feels more like a proper follow-up to “Modern Vampires of the City.”  I’m really, really liking it a lot.

The more I listen to "Only God Was Above Us" the more I absolutely love it.

I don't think Vampire Weekend will ever top the masterpiece that was "Modern Vampires of the City" but this one is right below it in my book as their 2nd best album.  It's just really really excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1

I heard the whole album twice last night at one of the theater listening events.  I liked it.  The 3 that have been released wouldn't be amongst the best songs on it imo.  Mike and Matt are working hard on this one and I think pretty much every song they end up playing live will be better than on the record. Upper Hand is probably my early fave.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, stc said:

that one's my favorite of the 3 that have been released, strong "learning to fly" vibes. 

Same.  Pretty much everything I've read from people who've heard it is that the lead singles aren't anywhere near the best stuff on it.  Really getting excited for this now.

Thus far Waxahatchee is my album of the year.  I've been a big fan of Katie Crutchfield for a few years (the Plains album a few years back was phenomenal) and this is as good as anything she's done.

23 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Thus far Waxahatchee is my album of the year.  I've been a big fan of Katie Crutchfield for a few years (the Plains album a few years back was phenomenal) and this is as good as anything she's done.

She's playing her first show ever at Cain's on May 8. I'm so bummed I'm gonna miss it because I'm gonna be in Houston for work.. ugg. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

She's playing her first show ever at Cain's on May 8. I'm so bummed I'm gonna miss it because I'm gonna be in Houston for work.. ugg. 

I was in Tulsa 3-4 weeks ago (the day it came out, actually) and my cousin was trying to get me to come back for it.  Dead ass middle of planting season, so there's absolutely no chance.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was in Tulsa 3-4 weeks ago (the day it came out, actually) and my cousin was trying to get me to come back for it.  Dead ass middle of planting season, so there's absolutely no chance.

Bummer dude.

Have you ever been to a show at Cain's?

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Bummer dude.

Have you ever been to a show at Cain's?

Yeah, saw the Damn Quails there when there were still some Covid precautions.  You had to buy a whole table, so we did.  Not the full experience, but still a great show and a great time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, saw the Damn Quails there when there were still some Covid precautions.  You had to buy a whole table, so we did.  Not the full experience, but still a great show and a great time.

Nice. Yeah you need to come back and experience it in its full glory.

You should also check out the Woody Guthrie Center and the Bob Dylan Archives some time when you're in town if you haven't. Also the Church Studio... those are must-sees for music fans.

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Just finished the new PJ album.  (twice)

Easily their best effort since Yield.

Bravo

that's quite an opinion. waiting for stevie and wreckage are good, the rest doesn't do much for me. this one goes in the same category for me as everything post avocado...probably will never listen to it again after this tour.  

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just posted this exact same thought on another board.

I really like Riot Act and Avocado, but this tops both of them.

McCready just slapped his dong all over this one.

After about a week of listening, one thing I’ve noticed is that this new album is a blend of all the previous PJ albums.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

The new Taylor Swift album is boring garbage that sounds like AI probably heavily assisted.

I'm not a Swift hater - she has songs I like -  but the album title is fucking hysterical.

Yes, TayTay, you're such a tortured poet. Despite never penning an edgy lyric in your career. 

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not a Swift hater - she has songs I like -  but the album title is fucking hysterical.

Yes, TayTay, you're such a tortured poet. Despite never penning an edgy lyric in your career. 

Im not a hater either. I only posted here because I dont want to shit on something my gf likes to her. But even she isnt a big fan of the album.

Truth, dare, spin bottles

You know how to ball, I know Aristotle

Brand new, full-throttle

Touch me while your bros play Grand Theft Auto

This is an actual lyric

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Im not a hater either. I only posted here because I dont want to shit on something my gf likes to her. But even she isnt a big fan of the album.

This is an actual lyric

Fuck - she knows Aristotle? Guess she is tortured.

Or maybe the title is about Travis Kelce's penis?