2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

On 3/12/2024 at 5:04 PM, MisterP said:

I hope he doesn't so I can watch this @Macklemore boomer completely shit all over himself on the internet like my grandfather trying to make a facebook post. 

I’m a boomer and I have no trouble making a post on FB every damn day,  Your grandfather’s shortcomings are probably due to his dementia.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Whether you’re a millennial or Generation Z, you’re just a punk who doesn’t know shit.  Once you’ve accepted that, you’ll receive a higher level of consciousness. GL.

You may operate Facebook better than my grandpa, but get triggered just as easily. It's just the internet my friend.

14 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Let that be a fucking lesson…

Cutting Jimmie Ward would save $3.8MM this year so there’s a little more available if you want to upgrade at more of a center fielder type than a close-to-the line guy. I’m not as down on Pitre as a lot of people, I think if you can put him in a hybrid LB/safety role he can be a playmaker.

Cutting Robert Woods adds $5.5MM to that total, so if you want to upgrade Ward there’s $9.3MM available on top of the $21.55 listed above. If you cut Woods you probably want to draft a WR in the first three rounds, which I’d like to do regardless….

Regarding Jimmie Ward, institutional knowledge is important for DBs in this Fangio based defense. Ward can play both safety spots and nickel, and even if he goes into the season as a backup, I think they could keep him around 

Jacksonville is doing the wasting Andrew Luck in Indianapolis thing, and Tennessee traded away a star WR and then fired an above average head coach and appear to have an unhinged owner. Indianapolis has a good GM and head coach, but might have an injury prone QB and aren't quite the dumpster fire that the other two are, but it feelsgoodman that half of our division appears to be poorly run for the foreseeable future 

Posted (edited)

Fuck. We don’t have a starter at all for DT now. I really don’t get the Collins trade if we didn’t have a deal for Armstead. We are stuck with having to make a trade or hoping to land Byron Murphy, T’Sweat or Braden Fiske in the draft. I wanted us to draft a playmaker in the top rounds for the offense. Now we are forced to draft DT. Don’t like this at all. 

Edited by Macklemore

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Fuck. We don’t have a starter at all for DT now. I really don’t get the Collins trade if we didn’t have a deal for Armstead. We are stuck with having to make a trade or hoping to land Byron Murphy, T’Sweat or Braden Fiske in the draft. I wanted us to draft a playmaker in the top rounds for the offense. Now we are forced to draft DT. Don’t like this at all. 

This is my shocked face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They’ll sign a couple of guys with the money they didn’t spend on armstead and cobble together a rotstion, and it’ll be fine

I don’t think this necessarily means they’ll go interior DL in the first if there are better players on the board 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

They’ll sign a couple of guys with the money they didn’t spend on armstead and cobble together a rotstion, and it’ll be fine

I don’t think this necessarily means they’ll go interior DL in the first if there are better players on the board 

I agree. The same thing happened last year when we brought in Rankins, Collins, and lifetime Longhorn Ridgeway.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I’m not too worried; there are still rotational pieces left in FA, plus the draft will shake loose a few veterans; there’s also June 1st cuts and the trade market. Agree with the above that this doesn’t mandate that we take an DT in Round 1.

I’d say QB and DE are off the table because of existing talent on the roster, LB, S, RB, and TE because of a combo of positional value and the talent in this particular draft. That leaves WR, OL, DT, and CB - I’m good with BPA from that group, and there’s some good options there. This is a crazy-deep WR group…

EDIT - No way in hell we were going $17/year for AA. Good for him, and good for us. I like where we are right now, time to move on to the draft…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Didn't know where to put this news but Fred faour (espn 97.5 the blitz) passed away.

Oh no, that's terrible. I worked with Fred in a past life. He was super kind and a fun guy to hang out with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Didn't know where to put this news but Fred faour (espn 97.5 the blitz) passed away.

Pretty funny guy. Never looked really healthy. My wife and I were at Christian’s Tailgate during a live broadcast, and my wife was laughing her ass off in the background. RIP. 

The Mixon contract is more of a "why was this needed?" than a "that's a bad contract!". I guess they wanted a known quantity for the next three years (they can walk away free after two years, and walk away with a medium sized hit after one year). 

He never fumbles, gets the yards blocked for him plus one, and at times creates yards that aren't blocked

Draft him on your fantasy teams, he's going to be a workhorse 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Just super. Weeks of #23 pick speculation down the tubes. 

I always question draft pick moves so far in advance when teams don’t know who is on the board at the time of the pick. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 2

On 3/13/2024 at 11:43 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I doubt they trade back because Caserio has never done it before. 

I think they’ll make noise about moving up during the first round and stick/pick. Best DT or CB available. 

Oops

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eh, I don’t love it. All the good corners and DTs are going to be gone at 42. 

Feels like the Vikings robbed us. 

You do this trade if you think your first round grades are gone by pick 23 (teams typically have anywhere from 10-20 first round grades), and you have a cluster of players tiered together where you're confident at least one will still be on the board at 42

There will still be very good players available at 42, and likely some at the premium positions 

Some of the players on this list in the 30s (or maybe even late 20s) will likely be there at 42

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-3-0

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't fully agree with this because WR should have been on the table, but I would also add that there could potentially be a small run on QBs at the top of the second round too