Taylor Sheridan adapting “Empire of the Summer Moon”

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Comanche, given equal numbers, would have made the mongols turn tail and retreat in the face of warriors shooting a dozen arrows a minute from under the bellies of their horses.

If Mr. Arthur were a mongol he would tell people "We can't have that."

In mongol language.

This book is excellent. 
https://www.amazon.com/Captured-Story-Abduction-Indians-Frontier/dp/0312317891#:~:text=The Captured%3A A True Story,9780312317898%3A Amazon.com%3A Books
On New Year's Day in 1870, ten-year-old Adolph Korn was kidnapped by an Apache raiding party. Traded to Comaches, he thrived in the rough, nomadic existence, quickly becoming one of the tribe's fiercest warriors. Forcibly returned to his parents after three years, Korn never adjusted to life in white society. He spent his last years in a cave, all but forgotten by his family

• Like 1

I think Sheridan will do fine, given he doesn't have to create the source material.  Wind River slammed.  The first season of Yellowstone was fun as hell.  The guy has it in him, and the story is fucking incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:25 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Fantastic book but I wish someone else was doing the movie. Sheridan is becoming the Tyler Perry of this genre.

I am related to Cynthia Ann Parker and hence, the white side of Quanah Parker. Eager to see how the movie goes. The Comanche were fascinating and the greatest horse cavalry the world ever saw. Chased the Apache out of Texas and nearly pushed the frontier back to the Gulf.

On 1/24/2024 at 5:03 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

What's up cuz.  I, too, am related to Cynthia Ann.  I can take it one step further.  Davy Crockett himself (Fess Parker) is in the same lineage.  His mother was apparently a pain in the ass at my parents' wedding in 1969.  

OH, shit--is this the Parker-family meet-up thread?

• Haha 2

On 1/24/2024 at 4:45 PM, Eskimohorn said:

The Comanche’s impact on world history is dwarfed by the Mongol Empire, who ended civilizations with their horse calvary.

Beat me to it - Wrath of the Khan's is to me, the single best podcast series I've ever listened to (Dan Carlin).

Mongol's were a coordinated, orchestrated wrath of God.  Comanches were early adopters to the horse, but nothing compared to the well trained, well discipled Mongol riders who would time their shots when all four legs of the bounding/galloping horse were in the air.  The bows they used were also superior to the NA bows in almost every way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, strangulation! said:

i thought the biggest distinction between the comanch and other warring groups, at least per the book, was the continual, widely accepted use of torture.

I interpreted it as most of the plains tribes saw torture as BAU.  You just never gave yourself up, as torture was acceptable and standard for almost all of them tribes.

8 hours ago, dogbreath said:

This book is excellent. 
https://www.amazon.com/Captured-Story-Abduction-Indians-Frontier/dp/0312317891#:~:text=The Captured%3A A True Story,9780312317898%3A Amazon.com%3A Books
On New Year's Day in 1870, ten-year-old Adolph Korn was kidnapped by an Apache raiding party. Traded to Comaches, he thrived in the rough, nomadic existence, quickly becoming one of the tribe's fiercest warriors. Forcibly returned to his parents after three years, Korn never adjusted to life in white society. He spent his last years in a cave, all but forgotten by his family

Really enjoyed Captured as well as Empire of the Summer Moon. Going to order Blood and Thunder now because of this thread.

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Beat me to it - Wrath of the Khan's is to me, the single best podcast series I've ever listened to (Dan Carlin).

Heck yeah. I've listened to the really long podcast about WWI and the one about the survivors of the ship that sank during WWII/sharks.  I've been thinking about listening to another one, so I'll take your rec.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mongol's were a coordinated, orchestrated wrath of God.  Comanches were early adopters to the horse, but nothing compared to the well trained, well discipled Mongol riders who would time their shots when all four legs of the bounding/galloping horse were in the air.  The bows they used were also superior to the NA bows in almost every way.  

Well, mongols aint Texans like the Comanche so fuck em.
  • Haha 1