new Curb tonight, mofos

Gil Bang

A number of standup comics cycled in and out of the show over the seasons when you think about it.  Usually playing themselves.  But to your point, she a more prominently featured one who just faded without an explanation.  I'm guessing it had something to do with her being Cheryl's good friend and when she and Larry split up, it would be too weird to wedge Wanda into later seasons.  Larry had enough foils without needing Cheryl's friend to just randomly pop in and fuck with him.  If you think about it, he basically invented hundreds of characters to call him out on his shit and/or screw with him.  Eventually, there was only so much screen time.  Wanda could have also been based on a real life friend (non standup) of his then real life wife and that plotline just kinda wound itself down as it did in real life and the people along with it.  The weird pivot that unfolded with Ted Danson and Larry on the show once Cheryl finally left him is one of the more subtly brilliant subplots on the show the last few seasons.  The way they quietly fucked with each other without ever really saying what it was really about, was both hilarious and subversive.  

35 years and the laughs never stopped.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought seasons 9-11 were pretty much on par with the rest of the series.

But I watched seasons 1-6 in essentially one month long binge in 2008, and then saw the remainder of the series as it became available.

Ive rewatched most of it over the years, and I think 8 is my favorite, 12 is my least favorite, and the rest are pretty even.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

\\

After Curb, where will the next generation of Jewish comedians come from? It feels like an end of era that stretched from Catskills acts of the 1920s to Seinfeld to Curb. 

It's not the deep bench that it used to be but remember Jerry Seinfeld is still working and taking out young openers on the road with him. 

Nick Kroll, Iliza Shelsinger, Dan Levy, the two women from Broad City, the incredible Mr. Gary Gulman, Ari Shaffir, et. al.  

I used to wonder why there was this 'inside' joke on late night shows that Jews were the funny ones (I'm a quarter Jewish and a quarter funny).  But when I got older, I met a lot of Jewish writers and comics and realized that it wasn't a stereotype or an insult, it was a reality.  And there's running jokes as to why they've been funny from the Borsch Belt to the re-establishment of Israel to Mel Brooks to SNL.  Sorry Christians, they're just fucking funnier than the rest of us.  But there will absolutely be a huge gap left when folks like Mel Brooks and Larry David are gone.  They were the brilliant ties from the bygone era and the modern era.  But as has always been the case, some  new ones will pick up the mantle and carry the humor torch forward into the darkness.  But to your point---in our lifetime, maybe due to production platforms/show-runners or whatever, we will probably not live to see another universe as hilarious as Seinfeld/Curb.  Glad I was around to see all of it, glad to know so many funny Jewish people, glad they let us in on their twisted sense of humo

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's not the deep bench that it used to be but remember Jerry Seinfeld is still working and taking out young openers on the road with him. 

Nick Kroll, Iliza Shelsinger, Dan Levy, the two women from Broad City, the incredible Mr. Gary Gulman, Ari Shaffir, et. al.  

I used to wonder why there was this 'inside' joke on late night shows that Jews were the funny ones (I'm a quarter Jewish and a quarter funny).  But when I got older, I met a lot of Jewish writers and comics and realized that it wasn't a stereotype or an insult, it was a reality.  And there's running jokes as to why they've been funny from the Borsch Belt to the re-establishment of Israel to Mel Brooks to SNL.  Sorry Christians, they're just fucking funnier than the rest of us.  But there will absolutely be a huge gap left when folks like Mel Brooks and Larry David are gone.  They were the brilliant ties from the bygone era and the modern era.  But as has always been the case, some  new ones will pick up the mantle and carry the humor torch forward into the darkness.  But to your point---in our lifetime, maybe due to production platforms/show-runners or whatever, we will probably not live to see another universe as hilarious as Seinfeld/Curb.  Glad I was around to see all of it, glad to know so many funny Jewish people, glad they let us in on their twisted sense of humo

Nick Kroll is awful. he has the unique ability to be the least funny character on every shows he’s cast in. See The League and Shadows. Dan Levy is funny but I think he typecast himself in Schitt’s Creek. Politely, you gotta be kidding on the other names you mentioned. 99 out 100 Americans couldn’t pick them out of a lineup. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Politely disagree on Nick Kroll, though I get your point---his standup isn't that strong but his comedic acting and writing are fantastic.  As for Dan Levy, I'm not talking about the actor---there's a standup comic I know through Mulaney with the same name but his surname is pronounced different than the actor from that hit show.  He's not well known  yet, but he'll get there as most comics need time on the road to get good specials.  You're right about most of the rest of my list, vast majority of Americans wouldn't know them because most Americans taste in comedy is fucking horrible.  Which is what made the Seinfeld/David duo, and also Mel Brooks so genius.  They made really smart comedy, but somehow it was accessible to even the dumbest of us.  

You could argue the Coen Brothers and Woody Allen are comedically prolific Jewish humorists, but to your previous point---maybe 5-10% of Americans watch their films.  We celebrate them on this website, but we're a very much exception to the rule.  Just the nature of the industry and the idiocy of our populace, I suppose.  But again, whey Jerry/Larry and Mel stand alone for all time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Politely disagree on Nick Kroll, though I get your point---his standup isn't that strong but his comedic acting and writing are fantastic.  As for Dan Levy, I'm not talking about the actor---there's a standup comic I know through Mulaney with the same name but his surname is pronounced different than the actor from that hit show.  He's not well known  yet, but he'll get there as most comics need time on the road to get good specials.  You're right about most of the rest of my list, vast majority of Americans wouldn't know them because most Americans taste in comedy is fucking horrible.  Which is what made the Seinfeld/David duo, and also Mel Brooks so genius.  They made really smart comedy, but somehow it was accessible to even the dumbest of us.  

You could argue the Coen Brothers and Woody Allen are comedically prolific Jewish humorists, but to your previous point---maybe 5-10% of Americans watch their films.  We celebrate them on this website, but we're a very much exception to the rule.  Just the nature of the industry and the idiocy of our populace, I suppose.  But again, whey Jerry/Larry and Mel stand alone for all time.  

We’ll just have to disagree on Kroll. He ruined a few scenes on Shadows.

I think the Young Larry premise could work with tweaking in the right hands. 

Hell, Jerry was roommates with George Wallace for a decade. That’s a show. 

• Like 1

Loved the finale and will really miss the gift that was this show.

The Wanda Sykes talk reminded me of one of my favorite scenes and I think of her line at the end every time I see her:

“What you been doing? Scrounging around looking for asses?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll never forget when Wanda grills Larry about why his pants are dirty "fumbling around under the bleachers looking for ass", be both spit out our drinks at the exact same time.  How David kept his composure when she ad libbed that, a festivus miracle....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 9:02 PM, tx 3 putt said:

man, Lewis got me choked up here!

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

Lol, I didn’t realize that line stuck with others too. Every now and then if I get a “what’s all over your shorts?” from the wife I say I was scrounging under bleachers looking for ass.

username checks out

ending was very meta and very funny. 

i think several scenes felt too forced this season. like the initial 'joke' would be funny but then they would just take it too far trying to make it extra funny - too much yelling, too much physicality, kind of running a joke into the ground at times. Leon never stopped being funny to me. 

exceptional show. those intro notes are going to stick around for eternity. 

good job, Larry...you created two of the funniest and most memorable shows in television history, and i'm thankful for it! 😊 i wonder if he'll actually retire now? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

image.png.cb2dae066b3a6c17bec3df5e17d6bd76.png

I’m shocked at all of the positive reviews here of the Curb finale. It was the same basic concept as the Seinfeld final. The writers showed zero creativity and the episode was a rehash of the same Seinfeld stuff. Terrible finale. Second worst in history behind Game of Thrones. The final season pretty much stunk too, with the same tired Leroy fuck jokes over and over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m shocked at all of the positive reviews here of the Curb finale. It was the same basic concept as the Seinfeld final. The writers showed zero creativity and the episode was a rehash of the same Seinfeld stuff. Terrible finale. Second worst in history behind Game of Thrones. The final season pretty much stunk too, with the same tired Leroy fuck jokes over and over. 

Totally agree. Leon was a one note character. I can't believe so many here love the guy so much. 

50 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Totally agree. Leon was a one note character. I can't believe so many here love the guy so much. 

Yup. He should have been phased out a long time ago.  He was forced and didn't really fit right.  Larry would crack up at him now and then, but probably a pity laugh.

Sad to see this show end. Not the best season, but the overall series is pretty consistent with a few misses.  Which is hard to do for 12 seasons.

Guess we never will find out if Fish Dead or Fish Sick.  Figured they would have looped that back in in the end lol.