Texas (-8.5) vs K State- 8pm on ESPN2

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Shaka never won an NCAA tournament game at Texas despite having multiple 1st round played in Mo Bamba, Myles Turner, and Jaxon Hayes. 

This Terry squad has only 2 decent players in Disu and Abmas.

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Bamba and Hayes are busts

They may be busts in the NBA (don't tell their career earnings that), but Shaka definitely could have leveraged their elite athleticism at the college level better. Add Greg Brown into that mix, as well. 

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Bamba and Hayes are busts

There are busts and then there are BUSTS.  I'd put Hayes and Bamba in the meh not playing close to their pick but have some decent skills.

Culver is a BUST

shaka recruited world class track and field athletes who couldn’t shoot a lick (perfect for his style of play) only to abandon his style play, asking said athletes to play slow, half court sets where everyone stands around the perimeter waiting to shoot a three/watch someone else shoot a three without ever crashing the glass. shaka is a one-of-a-kind terrible coach.

that said i agree with dcar, this team’s unpredictable, up-and-down nature defintely reminds me of shaka’s teams. no leadership from the bench, no identity on the court, no idea how we’re going to perform from game to game. this makes the team(s) capable of beating baylor and taking houston to OT only to lose to wvu and ucf. it’s pretty maddening. and it’s going to be  a lot worse next year when the team loses nearly everyone of consequence and we still have no real identity or direction.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Late Era Barnes was not good but it wasn't like this.

You mean like when we were ranked #1 in late January and ended up as an 8-seed in the tournament? Or the year when we finished #174 in KenPom AdjO? Or his final season when we scored over 70 points one time the final 13 games of the season before putting up a whopping up 48 points in our round of 64 game.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You mean like when we were ranked #1 in late January and ended up as an 8-seed in the tournament? Or the year when we finished #174 in KenPom AdjO? Or his final season when we scored over 70 points one time the final 13 games of the season before putting up a whopping up 48 points in our round of 64 game.

barnes’s teams had an identity, and did not have this unpredictable, up-and-down nature that shaka/RT’s teams have. they might have stunk, and been disappointing, but they weren’t devoid of direction/personality and so hot and cold from game to game.

also, and i just posted this in the barnes thread the other day, that last team of his didn’t lose to a single bad team. the worst of their 14 losses was an OT loss to NIT champs stanford, who finished as no.39 in kenpom. 11 of their 14 losses were to top 25 kenpom teams. again, they might have stunk, but they weren’t going to lose to any of the horrible teams that RT/Shaka teams will lose to.

Just now, 6th Street said:

Unless there's a big haul from the portal, next year's team looks quite awful. Losing the only two consistent players in Abmas and Disu and key depth pieces in Horton and Cunningham leaves us with next to nothing 

yep. if he keeps Tre Johnson, we get him for 1 year.  He's gonna have to kill it in the portal to put a team around him.  There will be other teams in that position as well.  We will see what he does.

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Unless there's a big haul from the portal, next year's team looks quite awful. Losing the only two consistent players in Abmas and Disu and key depth pieces in Horton and Cunningham leaves us with next to nothing 

Sounds about right coming from you.

And welcome to college basketball in the portal age. You get a new team almost every 1-2 years.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sounds about right coming from you.

And welcome to college basketball in the portal age. You get a new team almost every 1-2 years.

Right? Remember Beard’s First team? That was a lot of transfers 

Sure will be nice to have a real recruiting class set foot on campus for the first time in 2 years. And I couldn't care less what the guys with eligibility remaining do outside of Weaver and maybe Devin Pryor. If we find an actual PG next year to pair with Weaver, Johnson and Scott in the backcourt then things are already look better than the low bar set this year. 

We fell into the trap for years with the football team of thinking returning players=depth=winning and I refuse to let that seep into my basketball thinking, especially in the portal age. 

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

next year’s team is going to be bad. we’re getting out of the big xii just in time, which is such a fucking depressing thing to say. i love this league, but next years team would project to be a bottom dweller in the big xii.

Yay lower standards!

SEC! SEC! SEC!

Just now, Pancho said:

Yay lower standards!

SEC! SEC! SEC!

MBB is definitely the one sport making a massive downgrade next year among the big sports.

Football - hell of a lot better conference
WBB - way better conference 
Softball - WAYYYYYYYYY better conference
Baseball - elite conference
Volleyball - much better than that the Big 12
MBB - huge downgrade

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

MBB is definitely the one sport making a massive downgrade next year among the big sports.

Football - hell of a lot better conference
WBB - way better conference 
Softball - WAYYYYYYYYY better conference
Baseball - elite conference
Volleyball - much better than that the Big 12
MBB - huge downgrade

If this site is accurate, The SEC is #2 in RPI behind the Big 12.  More like a slight downgrade that ideally will get even slighter starting next year.

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

We have absolutely no idea what next years team will look like at this point in time 

…which is a pretty good indication that it’s going to be bad. 

gone: disu, abmas, brock, shedrick, horton

defintely returning: weaver, onyema 

may or may not be here: hunter, mitchell

likely additions: tre johnson, nic codie

so at best we’re building around this roster:

tyrese hunter

tre johnson

chendall weaver

dillon mitchell

ze’rik onyema

bench:

nic codie

and and worst you can delete hunter and mitchell from that lineup. so we’ve got that lineup, + whoever RT is able to sign, and RT is still the head coach. yeah. next year’s team is going to be bad.

Is Chris Johnson a rotation player?  I am hopeful he adds something next year.  I am starting to really like Mitchell - for what he is - but he feels like a transfer this offseason for some reason.  Pure speculation.  But he gets like 14 and 10 just about every game these days by purely being the best athlete on court.  If dude could just figure out a shot.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

On 2/20/2024 at 2:10 PM, ClubWhatever said:

As we've seen, a big haul is not necessarily a good haul.   It's easy to stock up on a bunch of jags, and I have no doubt we will.

There were a lot of teams in the country that wanted Abmas and Shedrick. Horton came with a near elite BTA game, which has cratered and Weaver was the freshmen of the year. He's been the 2nd best portal add behind Abmas and will likely be a really good player in the next 2 seasons. He does need to develop a floater because he's not going to consistenly score at the rim in the SEC. Something Hunter has never developed.

7 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Is Chris Johnson a rotation player?  I am hopeful he adds something next year.  I am starting to really like Mitchell - for what he is - but he feels like a transfer this offseason for some reason.  Pure speculation.  But he gets like 14 and 10 just about every game these days by purely being the best athlete on court.  If dude could just figure out a shot.  

Really depends on what they want to focus on in the portal. He was always going to be a guy that needed a year. He wasn't going to play at Kansas either.

Returning players will likely be Johnon, Pryor, Weaver, Onyema, Anamekwe, and Shedrick.

Recruiting class of Johnson, Scott, and Codie so far.

Portal needs are CG and a rotational wing.  Maybe a PG and/or Center depending on how they fell about what they have returning.

Johnson, Weaver, Johnson, portal wing, Shedrick

Portal CG, Scott, Pryor, Codie, Onyema