2024 Astros Foundation College Classic

HendersonHorns

5 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Keep meaning to check out a game at Reckling and this would have been a good one...need to pay more attention to who Rice brings to town during the week...

easy peasy, great park 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I fucked up. I have gone to buy my 3 day pass about 6 times in the last two days at my desk and something pulls me away. Now they're sold out. I have a room for two nights and meeting 5 others there for the entire weekend. Is anyone has a 3 day they aren't using, please let me know, or an extra GA for tomorrow at the least and I can buy singles for Sat/Sun. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

• Rage+1 1

Weekend Rotations

FRI–Texas RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr. (1-0. 1.38) vs. LSU TBA

SAT–Texas RHP Charlie Hurley (1-0, 0.93) vs. Texas State LHP Jack Stroud (1-1, 9.45)

SUN–Texas RHP Cody Howard (2-0, 0.00) vs. Vanderbilt LHP Devin Futrell (1-0, 1.64)

3 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

Bought a club seat for Friday, lucky to have an out in a pinch. Will just have to miss the 3 day and get singles. Could be worse I guess. Few dollars more in the end and minor hiccup. 

club seating is very comfortable 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

club seating is very comfortable 

Why can't the Arlington tournaments do this?  Some good ball there the past few weekends but lol flosports.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/20/2024 at 1:06 PM, tx 3 putt said:

If you’ve never been, ut / lsu will be a very large crowd. LSU and Vanderbilt might be the two best traveling fan bases. Pre buy parking.  Stadium food will be limited, eat before the game

cobos is very close to minute maid, has good food. Itll be packed and hopping. Best one stop place and easy 

1820 bar is very close, no food 

if you’re going to ninfas pre game, be mindful of the wait. El tiempo is across the street, usually zero wait 

voodoo queen (good chicken strips), 8 rows flint (some food), and White rhino are a couple of blocks from an easy rail ride in. Check opening times, perfect for post games

street to kitchen just won a national james beard and almost in front of a rail stop.

champ burger is one block down from street to kitchen, damn good neighborhood spot. All walkable. I walk to all these places and the rail stop is right there 

up by the stadium / eado …

new little woodrows

rodeo goat

truckyard

8th wonder

hi way cantina

pizza by the slice spot 

ton of other spots. All walkable from astros parking lot. Street parking, be mindful - that area they love to break into cars. Keep them empty, trunks too. If you have a truck, they like the chances you have a pistol under your seat. Last playoffs, hpd had two bait trucks with pistols and maga stickers, both trucks got hit and it still took them an hour to track them down. It was Two guys and they had over 40 pistols 

@UTPhil2006 has a ton of recs …

Ninfas or El Tiempo in Navigation if you guys want the true Houston style TexMex. El Tiempo has the best fajitas in the world.

Fight me.

But their weekend breakfast / brunch is also the tits. You get a whole basket of Mexican sweat bread with it for free… 

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also might be fun for you guys to Uber to the St Arnold’s brewery Saturday morning if you’re up for it. Cool spot if 8th Wonder isn’t your jam but likely more families there so better stay away you degenerates.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh and if you don’t want to pay for parking, there’s usually always free street parking on the weekends further to the center of downtown / towards the Theater district. 
I would park there a lot of times, walk towards the stadium, stop in The Flying Saucer for a beer, and then continue on the game.

Now granted that’s usually for an afternoon / evening game and not in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 2

Friday:

11 am: Houston vs Texas State

3 pm: Louisiana vs Vanderbilt

7 pm: LSU vs Texas

Saturday:

11 am: Vanderbilt vs Houston

3 pm: Texas State vs Texas

7 pm: Louisiana vs LSU

Sunday: 

11 am: Texas vs Vanderbilt

3 pm: Texas State vs LSU

7 pm: Houston vs Louisiana

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Also might be fun for you guys to Uber to the St Arnold’s brewery Saturday morning if you’re up for it. Cool spot if 8th Wonder isn’t your jam but likely more families there so better stay away you degenerates.

Check the times on st arnolds kitchen

also:

8th womder brewery then walk towards mmp hit true anomaly brewery. (lot of food spots around here). then walk towards mmp, shots at cobos 

Equal Parts brewery on harrisburg, very close to mmp (uber)

Frost Town Brewery - walkable to mmp. Easy easy parking. Id ask if you can park their for the game before doing it. About 5 blocks away 

43 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Maybe if the Astros open up more GA seats we can afford another OF. Seriously though if there is demand, open up more seating 

still plenty of club seats seats for tonight 

4 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

We will miss G1 this morning but should be there in time for G2 and G3.

if you want the 2nd ward experience. Goto champ burger before hitting mmp. 

if you want the 3rd ward experience, goto Cream Burger. You’ll be the only white customer, get a shake. Cash only 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Maybe if the Astros open up more GA seats we can afford another OF. Seriously though if there is demand, open up more seating 

opening up right field tonight would be nice 

Posted (edited)

Crane is a business savvy / very smart owner. This is the 3rd (and biggest) college tournament at mmp this offseason. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/astros-college-classic-18695758.php

Schools like LSU and Texas have long-standing commitments to the tournament, which ensure they'll return every other season. The two faced off at Minute Maid Park in 2022. 

"We focus on the Big 12 and Southeastern Conference because that's our region, and then we like to have a local team in the tournament every year to create that local buzz," Grande said. "I love mixing in Texas State and Sam Houston State because they don't get an opportunity to play here like those other years." 

Because of the teams that come to town, people who are eager for a taste of baseball flock to Minute Maid Park. Grande said that there were 40,000 fans in attendance at the 2020 tournament (before the Covid-19 shutdown), and that number increased to 50,000 in 2022. He projects that this year will attract 60,000 fans. 

That's good for teams that often recruit in a hotbed of Texas talent in the Houston area. UH has 12 players from the Houston area on its current roster, while Texas has nine and Texas State and UL each have five. Vanderbilt and LSU both have one Houston-area player on their roster, with two local prospects among LSU's 2024 recruiting class.

hopefully they have texas and lsu on lock down 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Ninfas or El Tiempo in Navigation if you guys want the true Houston style TexMex. El Tiempo has the best fajitas in the world.

Fight me.

But their weekend breakfast / brunch is also the tits. You get a whole basket of Mexican sweat bread with it for free… 

The Navigation margarita at Ninfa's is heaven in a glass. 

On the rocks, or you're a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Navigation margarita at Ninfa's is heaven in a glass. 

On the rocks, or you're a pussy.

What's tequila do they use?

My go to lately, not in a margarita but in my ranch water, is Lalo.

That shit is smooth, with real tequila taste, no additives, and there's absolutely nothing offensive about it.

If you want to try it now, it's $39.99 at Total Wine.

It's dropped $2 in the last couple of weeks. IDK if it's b/c of agave prices tanking.

What were we talking about again?

Edited by Dnaguy

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

if you want the 2nd ward experience. Goto champ burger before hitting mmp. 

if you want the 3rd ward experience, goto Cream Burger. You’ll be the only white customer, get a shake. Cash only 

Champ is the closest.  Champ's it is.  Fixin' to roll in about 10 minutes. Thanks for the foodie tip.