Kristen Welker is terrible at her job

Smax

Yeah yeah political morning talk shows... not a regular watcher but caught the past several weeks of Meet The Press and this woman is in over her head and has no business hosting this show.  Her guest walk all over her. She cant stand up for her questioning, lets guest steer the debate to where she ends up just sitting there looking like stooge.

Maybe this is by design but for the longest running show on tv, she's an embarrassment 

/grumpy morning rant 

Maddow would be just a smarter version of Chuck Todd in that every question would be a 59 minute preamble, followed by a close-ended, "Would you agree?" to the guest.  Russert really was the best of my adult lifetime, RIP.  

Stewart would be an option but I think he likes his newfound free-agency freedom.  

A really interesting option would be the Jonathan Swan from Axios.  I'm sure the olds would have a hard time understanding him on a Sunday morning.  But that doesn't take shit one from anybody but still comes across as amicable.  And of course, is always incredibly well prepared.  He's certainly TV appearance friendly, but I'm guessing he'd just frustrate everyone from guests to panelists to network brass to sponsors.  Some people in the industry I take real fucking serious tell me he's incredibly smart and has integrity.  So I'm guessing there's a reason he hasn't risen to a more prominent role in political journalism.  No matter which side you're on, we're all adults...there's a certain amount of sucking-up you gotta do to move up the ranks and apparently he's above it.  

But yeah, for the most part...the Sunday morning shows are just fucking garbage these days.  Which is a shame, because we need them more than ever this cycle.  I realize you can't bring your A game every single week with heavy hitters in politics and business.  But every once in a while, just for shits 'n giggles.  Do 10 minutes of research, ask the guest an open-ended question and then just shut the fuck up and let them sit in their pile of stupidity.  90% of the appearances are made by people who are well below the median levels of intelligence and morals.  Just let 'em embarrass themselves.  America loves a good reality show.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I just posted in the Abbott thread about how bad these tv hosts are at interviewing. Welker is bad, but she's not alone in letting the guests say whatever the fuck they want with zero threat of being called out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I wish just one of them would have the balls to (regularly) cut the mic on guests who are

1. Clearly lying

2. Dancing around the question refusing to answer it

3. completely changing the subject

To borrow a phrase from jim rome, have a take don't suck

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Smax said:

I wish just one of them would have the balls to (regularly) cut the mic on guests who are

1. Clearly lying

2. Dancing around the question refusing to answer it

3. completely changing the subject

To borrow a phrase from jim rome, have a take don't suck

I'd add shouting over the host and other guests to repeat the same shit over and over. For that, they should get the hook.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I'd kill for Jon Stewart or maybe even one of those British journos who doesn't care about being polite.

I was watching BBC this morning, and you’re dead right about their hosts.

They were interviewing the Deputy PM and asking him about some comments from some rando Tory MP. And he just wouldn’t say whether the comments were racist.

Finally, the interviewer just says, “and our viewers will have discerned by now that you don’t want to say whether the comments were racist, but ….” It was exactly right and very clever, because it kind of forced the guest to provide something of an answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'd add shouting over the host and other guests to repeat the same shit over and over. For that, they should get the hook.

spacer.png

I know you know, but that is a purposeful tactic. They know they are lying and have a limited timeframe to get their lies out. Talk fast and over the top of your interviewer to spray as much bullshit as possible before they can refute you. It’s fascism. Plain and simple. 

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I know you know, but that is a purposeful tactic. They know they are lying and have a limited timeframe to get their lies out. Talk fast and over the top of your interviewer to spray as much bullshit as possible before they can refute you. It’s fascism. Plain and simple. 

Yep. It makes watching those shows insufferable. But, ya know, ya gotta get both sides even if one is plainly assymetrical and dishonest.

Journalism!

We have the quotes!

9 hours ago, Smax said:

Yeah yeah political morning talk shows... not a regular watcher but caught the past several weeks of Meet The Press and this woman is in over her head and has no business hosting this show.  Her guest walk all over her. She cant stand up for her questioning, lets guest steer the debate to where she ends up just sitting there looking like stooge.

Maybe this is by design but for the longest running show on tv, she's an embarrassment 

/grumpy morning rant 

She’s horrible. Unwatchable.