R.I.P. Joe Flaherty

My favorite memory of him was the scene in 'Stripes' when they're breaking back through the border crossing and he's in his long-johns and does that little shake dance with his fellow guard.  My dad I literally bent over crying watching that scene.  He was great on "Freaks & Geeks" and almost everything else he ever did like "Happy Gilmore", et. al.  But that Czech border scene is etched in brain forever for some reason.  Just the little juke move and facial expression, just subtle comedy that somehow went over the top-hence the genius of it all.  RIp, Mr. Flaherty.  Helluva run...

• Hook 'Em 1

too soon man, too soon.  

But he remembered him from SCTV which we could only get from this rip-off 'cable' service in Chicago called ONTV.  And my dad always found Flaherty hilarious.  I was too young to really get the jokes but his subtle physical comedy alongside guys like John Candy and Rick Moranis stuck with me.  They were witty, and goofy, but they had another level to them in their subtleness that I only grew to appreciate later in life.  My dad was very high level humor like Stephen Hawking on acid.  But just bawled at the scenes with Flaherty in "Stripes" and his shit on SCTV and a few other things.  Anyway, fond memories of Mr. Flaherty's comedic spectrum.  He did it and did it well.  Godspeed, Joe

• Like 1

I had never seen that spot on Letterman.  And all due respect to the passing of Flaherty, notice what John Candy and Letterman did at the beginning connecting the University of Chicago and Harry Truman.  So fucking clever and almost nobody noticed it.  It 'bombed'      But in a good way.  I miss guys like this.  When we used to appreciate high-level comedy.   Growing up on SCTV, SNL, the Muppets, Carson.  It was accessible but still smart.  Damn that interview with those two guys, now both gone, little choked up.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh man I hate losing these SCTV greats.

Loved his characters like Guy caballer FF, Count Floyd, Big Jim McBob, Sammy Maudlin, Norman Gorman,

Celebrities impersonated by Flaherty on SCTV include: Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston, William F. Buckley, Jack Klugman, Robert Mitchum, Bing Crosby, Don Knotts, Yassir Arafat, Richard Nixon, Alistair Cooke, Slim Whitman, the corpse of Albert Schweitzer, Gregory Peck, Eddie Anderson (as 'Rochester'), Alan Alda, Elvis Presley, Hugh Beaumont, John Huston, Larry Fine, Pope Paul VI, Geraldo Rivera, Art Garfunkel, Broderick Crawford, Jacques Cousteau, Lowell Thomas, Henry Fonda, Marcello Mastroianni, Sylvester Stallone, Shoo Boxx, Paul Bradley, Aaron Copland, Dom DiMaggio, Dick Beddoes, Gavin MacLeod, Prince Philip, Tom Wolfe, Peter O'Toole, Salvador Dalí, Gene Siskel, Hugh Hefner, and musician Paul Revere

• Hook 'Em 3

The first time I smoked amazing hydroponic weed, my big brother left me in front of a huge projection TV with a Maniac Mansion marathon playing on the Family Channel. Joe Flaherty’s face has been burned into my brain ever since. 

15 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Oh man I hate losing these SCTV greats.

Loved his characters like Guy caballer FF, Count Floyd, Big Jim McBob, Sammy Maudlin, Norman Gorman,

Celebrities impersonated by Flaherty on SCTV include: Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston, William F. Buckley, Jack Klugman, Robert Mitchum, Bing Crosby, Don Knotts, Yassir Arafat, Richard Nixon, Alistair Cooke, Slim Whitman, the corpse of Albert Schweitzer, Gregory Peck, Eddie Anderson (as 'Rochester'), Alan Alda, Elvis Presley, Hugh Beaumont, John Huston, Larry Fine, Pope Paul VI, Geraldo Rivera, Art Garfunkel, Broderick Crawford, Jacques Cousteau, Lowell Thomas, Henry Fonda, Marcello Mastroianni, Sylvester Stallone, Shoo Boxx, Paul Bradley, Aaron Copland, Dom DiMaggio, Dick Beddoes, Gavin MacLeod, Prince Philip, Tom Wolfe, Peter O'Toole, Salvador Dalí, Gene Siskel, Hugh Hefner, and musician Paul Revere

His Quincy, M.E. impersonation trying to determine how Sylvester the Cat died was priceless.