Texas @ Houston Series Thread

Horny Bull

TEXAS (20-14, 7-5) at HOUSTON (16-16, 4-11)
Where: Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park
Time: Friday at 6:30 p.m.; Saturday at 6:30 p.m.; Sunday at 1 p.m.
TV: ESPN+
Radio: The Zone AM-1300/103.1 FM

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUP
FRIDAY–
Texas RHP Max Grubbs (4-1, 3.00) vs. Houston RHP Owen Woodward (1-1, 6.27)
SATURDAY–Texas LHP Ace Whitehead (3-0, 3.58) vs. Houston RHP Cade Citelli (1-0, 3.14)
SUNDAY–Texas TBA vs. Houston TBA

At the corner of Elgin Street & Cullen Blvd?
They can gentrify the surrounding area all they want, but the same thieves tool around that whole area looking for marks. 
Nah, I like my car, and prefer to not have it stolen. 

I’d rather spend a week in the Gaza Strip than down there. TV for me.
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

At the corner of Elgin Street & Cullen Blvd?

They can gentrify the surrounding area all they want, but the same thieves tool around that whole area looking for marks. 

Nah, I like my car, and prefer to not have it stolen. 

phish please

i live 5 mins away. Hit cream burger, all cash. Get a milk shake

or the mega frenchy’s 

Edited by tx 3 putt

18 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Park in a garage downtown and ride the train.  If that scares you then you probably should just hunker down in your house

This. Park/pregame in EaDo. Get on train, go to game, get back on train. 

This always amuses me. I've been to Houston many, many times, but have never been around the UH campus.  You guys make it sound like a war zone.  How bad is it really? Equivalent to Fair Park? Worst parts of San Salvador?

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter and I were going to go, but we both have the coughing crud right now so probably not now. 

allergies have been horribad the past two weeks. Hope yall feel better 

1 minute ago, zlavydra said:

This always amuses me. I've been to Houston many, many times, but have never been around the UH campus.  You guys make it sound like a war zone.  How bad is it really? Equivalent to Fair Park? Worst parts of San Salvador?

i live 5 mins away or so. Places to hit pre game :

Rodeo goat - they break into cars around here. Glass everywhere. Very good burgers

tiny champions - pizza. Very busy, get a reservation 

eadough coffee on polk

maga’s cafe for brunch before sundays game. Excellent food

villa arcos on navigation - best tacos in hou. Use the toastly app to order

Champ burger - open on saturday for second Saturday in my hood. Cool event. Call in order

street to kitchen - world class thai

voodoo queen - damn great dive bar and excellent chicken strip / shrimp baskets. Great hushpuppies 

cream burger - across the street from the stadium. 3rd Ward institution. All cash , great burgers and shakes. Chili is meh. Youll be the only white customer

frenchy’s chicken - the ‘original’, get a bucket and enjoy

Rado mkt - very very underrated / nice spot. Pick up lunch and head to the park. good food
https://www.radomarket.com/

I would never live in the 3rd ward, but the 2nd ward is damn great

15 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Even if it was nice (it isn’t) there ain’t really anywhere to go before and not a lot of parking options that are convenient

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I would never live in the 3rd ward, but the 2nd ward is damn great

I feel like I mostly only hear about the 3rd and 5th wards and none of the others

Just now, UTPhil2006 said:

Even if it was nice (it isn’t) there ain’t really anywhere to go before and not a lot of parking options that are convenient

I've not been to the Houston campus.  But is it any worse than the area around Reckling?   I never felt unsafe as a younger man but I would not ask/expect my GF to walk with me in those areas to a game.

4 minutes ago, petscii said:

I've not been to the Houston campus.  But is it any worse than the area around Reckling?   I never felt unsafe as a younger man but I would not ask/expect my GF to walk with me in those areas to a game.

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, petscii said:

The Rice University campus is patrolled by the Rice University PD and most of the exterior area that borders the Rice campus is heavily and safely patrolled by the West University Place Police Department (and not Houston PD), since West University Place is its own incorporated city that exists separate from the city of Houston, even though it's surrounded by Houston.

Even before the decades where the mc-mansions started appearing across West U, West U was a safe place to walk the streets at night by yourself.

Edited by BachelorTrek

15 minutes ago, petscii said:

But is it any worse than the area around Reckling?   I never felt unsafe as a younger man but I would not ask/expect my GF to walk with me in those areas to a game.

WTF? This area is probably one of the safest areas in the city.

• Haha 2

For real?

And stay away from river oaks! It’s a nightmare over there.
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, mycox said:

WTF? This area is probably one of the safest areas in the city.

now now, those virgins from Rice can start a weekend long LARP session, or a dungeon and dragons marathon and things can quickly get out of hand 

summer glau battle GIF by Knights of Badassdom

• Haha 1

What's going on with Houston's pitchers? The two guys listed as starters tonight and tomorrow have started one game between them. Are the top 2 guys (Jean and Jelkin, according to their stats) hurt?  Or are the listed guys just openers?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

What's going on with Houston's pitchers? The two guys listed as starters tonight and tomorrow have started one game between them. Are the top 2 guys (Jean and Jelkin, according to their stats) hurt?  Or are the listed guys just openers?

They said Jelkin was dealing with arm fatigue or something similar a few weeks and he threw out of the bullpen against K-State before making a normal start against TCU and being skipped completely against Tech.

Not sure about Jean but he was roughed up his last two outings.

Jelkin and Jean are two of the better pitchers in the conference so it would be a fortunate break for us if neither is available.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

X2 on Cream burger.   Champ Burger is closed on Sunday, damn.  I'll check into Maga's cafe or Tiny champions for Sunday.

In the meantime,....

TEXAS!

Looks like Maga's is the winner.  Tiny Champs will open Sunday until 4pm

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

X2 on Cream burger.   Champ Burger is closed on Sunday, damn.  I'll check into Maga's cafe or Tiny champions for Sunday.

In the meantime,....

TEXAS!

Looks like Maga's is the winner.  Tiny Champs will open Sunday until 4pm

maga serves an excellent breakfast / brunch

my fave is the maga omelette 

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

3ea3f0a8-de24-453c-8f09-62fc55c84d48_tex

Ok, the area by the school and the medical center stuff was fine.  Maybe it was the train from Reliant/Astrodome/Rodeo to downtown that was coloring my memory.  I also greyhounded into Reckling several times as an angry young man.