2024 US Open - Pinehurst No. 2 (June 13-16)

Exempt players are https://www.usopen.com/2024/final-qualifying.html , click on by player

Less than a month away - final qualifiers have been completed in Japan and England

Today is the first day in Dallas https://www.usopen.com/2024/final-qualifying/dallas-texas.html 
 - it was 138/11 but a bunch of WD/DNF - 116 remain of note Molinari T3 at -5, Sergio at -4 ( See Molinari on the exempt list, I think it must be his brother at qualifying - Eduardo)

The rest are on June 3

1Cherry Hill ClubRidgeway, Ontario, Canada

2Lake Merced Golf ClubDaly City, Calif.

3The Bear’s ClubJupiter, Fla.

4The Golf Club of GeorgiaAlpharetta, Ga.

5Woodmont C.C. (North Course)Rockville, Md.

6Canoe Brook Country Club (North & South Courses)Summit, N.J.

7Duke University Golf ClubDurham, N.C.

8Ohio State University Golf Club/Kinsale Golf & Fitness ClubColumbus, Ohio

9Springfield C.C.Springfield, Ohio

10Pronghorn Resort (Nicklaus Course)Bend, Ore.

With its crowned greens, Pinehurst suits Scottie to a tee. Winning score will be single digits. Previous U.S. Open winning scores there were -1 by Payne Stewart in 99, E by Michael Campbell in 05 and -9 by Martin Kaymer in 2014, which is an outlier as he won by 8 shots. 

Pinehurst is a course that could host a major on a weeks notice.  Not ideal, but if they had to they could.  Those greens don’t give a shit about the weather.  It will be a putting contest.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

l have decided that I don't like the new PGA Tour schedule. I have been programmed so the longest day in golf (aka US Open final qualifying) is the day after Jack's milkshake-athon at the Memorial; but now because the Memorial is the week before the Open that means it was actually 2 days ago. And I completely missed it, and now I'm too lazy to go back and see how it turned out. So I'll just look and see who is qualified, wait a week to see tee times, and then tune in to see how difficult they have made #2 (meaning do get the greens to 15?)

• Hook 'Em 1

BTW - I just went to glance at the US Open website & the first page is all about ticket sales and free entry into daily drawing for an upgrade to the 18th hole reserved grandstand. Looks to me like they have some (meaning maybe a bunch) of unsold tickets.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

tune in to see how difficult they have made #2 (meaning do get the greens to 15?)

Long term weather forecast looks promising. No major systems moving through, hot with only occasional, typical, summer afternoon showers between now and then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/5/2024 at 7:38 AM, Wally Fairway said:

l have decided that I don't like the new PGA Tour schedule. I have been programmed so the longest day in golf (aka US Open final qualifying) is the day after Jack's milkshake-athon at the Memorial; but now because the Memorial is the week before the Open that means it was actually 2 days ago. And I completely missed it, and now I'm too lazy to go back and see how it turned out. So I'll just look and see who is qualified, wait a week to see tee times, and then tune in to see how difficult they have made #2 (meaning do get the greens to 15?)

Same.

i texted a couple of buddies last week to ask when the sectionals were. They didn’t know. I got sidetracked at work and didn’t look it up.

looked it up Tuesday and saw everything was over 

qualifiers after the [checks notes] Canadian Open isn’t how this is supposed to work 

But a couple of links with a good run down of the qualifiers (the first with a bio on most of the qualifiers. The 2nd link shows notables that didn’t make it).

for the Horns, Hossler made it. Hammer and Vegas did not.

Sam “Ridgewood was harder” Bennett made it as well.

glad to see Higgs win a playoff to get in. He’s been grinding and playing some good golf recently.

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/latest/2024/u-s-open-final-qualifying-scores-results-how-it-works-see-who-advanced-pinehurst-golf-longest-day

https://golf.com/news/2024-u-s-open-final-qualifying-sites-live-scores-qualifiers-notables/?amp=1

• Hook 'Em 1

The field is set at 84 - Adam Scott gets in (ranked 61 in OWGR, but Grayson Murray is 59 and dropped from the list), Sergio is in as 1 of 4 qualifying alternates who made it in on spots reserved for the last week and nobody else qualified from last weeks events) 

Field - https://www.usopen.com/players.html
List of how they qualified - https://www.usopen.com/2024/articles/current-exempt-players-124th-us-open-pinehurst.html

If I had to pick 4 players with the best chance to win it would be:
- Scottie (and I would take  Scottie in the Scottie vs. the field bet)
- Xander
- Morikawa 
- Brooks

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 1:56 PM, 4th&Five said:

I was a big Jon Rahm fan and still think deep down he's a good dude. I choose to believe his move to LIV was encouraged by his agent/team with the expectation that the two leagues would merge very soon and he might as well take the massive check from the Saudis. I find it all extremely disappointing, and will never root for him the way I used to. He almost feels cursed at this point.

His game has since gone down the shitter and he's clearly very unhappy playing Vegas nightclub bottle service golf that nobody gives a fuck about or watches, despite whatever he says publicly. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

Looks li

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Almost impossible to be in a good place mentally on or off the golf course when you say and believe this and then take the money anyways. 

Sounds like someone has buyers/sellers remorse. 
Rahm might be the first to come back to the Tour full time, though I'm sure there is a clawback clause from LIV/PIF on the 9 digit investment in getting Jon on their tour. 

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Looks li

Rahm might be the first to come back to the Tour full time, though I'm sure there is a clawback clause from LIV/PIF on the 9 digit investment in getting Jon on their tour. 

Looks like that was from 2022…don’t think that’s this current us open but could be wrong 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Looks li

That was from last year before he joined LIV. Changes it from "buyer's remorse" to "fuck that guy" pretty quick.

Fuck all this LIV shit. Said it 100x and I'll say it 100x more. You're doing nothing to grow the game, only kill it. At least the worst thing you could say about the PGA was that it wasn't growing the game enough but at least it wasn't destroying it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, 4th&Five said:

On 6/10/2024 at 10:44 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck that Peacock bullshit.

looking at the usga site - featured group coverage is available on usopen.com and the USGA app.

I am hoping they have a good site/app - thinking like the British Open, because nothing compares to what they've done with the Masters site/app

And just seeing that tee times are posted - https://www.usopen.com/2024/tee-times.html

Scottie is with Rory & Xander at 1:14 on Thursday (thinking that might just be one of the featured groups)
Defending champion Wyndham Clark with with Brian Harman and Nick Dunlap @ 1:25
of interest
Jordan, Rahm, Hideki @ 1:36
Tiger, Zalatoris, Matty Fitz @7:29 (off #10) - finally someone gets Tigers limitations and has him going early/late
JT, Brooks, Morikawa are at 7:40 (off #1) 

find your favorites at the link above

Here is a course flyover - I've watched about the first 6 minutes and the green complex with flow that they show presents that anything within a few feet of the edge of a green track off the green.

https://www.usopen.com/2024/videos/features/06/06/2024-u-s--open--pinehurst-no--2-course-flyover-6354433152112.html?__hstc=230596675.0603d442c8172cb9e426af0ed6579e08.1718118116332.1718118116332.1718135022994.2&__hssc=230596675.1.1718135022994&__hsfp=3523199817

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m torn as to where the winner finishes. I guess it depends on how far the USGA let the greens go. It’s not overly long and the wind isn’t really going to be a factor.  Previous US Opens winners at Pinehurst have finished -1, E and -9. My best guess is Scottie finishes - 3 to win his 3rd major. 

I think the more difficult bet would be where do you see the cut line; and how many over par do think the worst score is of those who make the cut. I am pretty sure there are going to be some big numbers out there, especially from some of the qualifiers, including the am's.

I still have the ball that Payne gave me after finishing 18, at the Colonial, prior to all this shit. He was actually paired with a friend that I drove early that AM, from Katy with my Dad, to him watch play with Payne. Tray Tyner in Payne's group that day, I was Tray’s his backyards connected/neighbors with mine and I played HS golf with his little brother.

Hook'em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

So Kim is a U.S. Open expert with his appearances. One MC and one T17. If he was giving opinions on where to buy some drugs, I might listen. 

This is kind of a weird response. Kim Is a PGA tour player (16 starts this season) that provides some inside access for golf fans on Twitter. He's great. 

• Hook 'Em 1