2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Holy crap. We still have the best record in the history of the franchise this late in the season.

That is almost unbelievable.

Actually, it is unbelievable. Of course, this isn't a franchise with a long list of 100-win seasons. 

If we didn't have the kind of pitching virtually every other team in MLB would kill for, we wouldn't be winning any division this year. Keep "hitting" like this and we eventually could find a way not to win it anyway. 

If we didn't have the kind of pitching virtually every other team in MLB would kill for, we wouldn't be winning any division this year. Keep "hitting" like this and we eventually could find a way not to win it anyway. 

Well no fucking shit!

If we didn't have the kind of pitching virtually every other team in MLB would kill for, we’d be the fucking Tigers

Oh, and we’ve also still scored more runs runs than every team in NL

18 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Well no fucking shit!

If we didn't have the kind of pitching virtually every other team in MLB would kill for, we’d be the fucking Tigers

Oh, and we’ve also still scored more runs runs than every team in NL

Hmmm. Maybe move back to the NL, then? I actually like the thought of that. We're not getting much out of the DH spot right now anyhow, and I miss hating the Cards so much. 

Given that we have pretty much the same hitters who last year drew comparisons to the 1927 Yankees, and then performed solidly in winning a title, many fans are bewildered that we aren't running away with the division behind this pitching staff. We know several of our hitters had career years in 2017 and have fallen off, but I just don't think anyone believed we'd have trouble scoring runs like this, injuries or not.

Of course, we'll either get back on track with our offense or we won't. If we do, I still love our chances. We have some dominant arms and some hitters who've come up huge before. To me it just doesn't have that feel, though. In part, I think it's because there are more up-and-coming teams than a year ago, and they're getting it together as we're going in the other direction. Hopefully all that reverses come October. 

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Our home record is honestly one of the most inexplicable things I’ve ever seen in sports.

Blow up MMP.  

or play balance of season home schedule in Astrodome...

12 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Actually, it is unbelievable. Of course, this isn't a franchise with a long list of 100-win seasons. 

And yet, we have a better record right now than at the same point last season.

Weird.

I do think we will play much better at home in the playoffs. If we make the playoffs, that is. 

We play better, I’m willing to bet, because the guys are focused on nothing but baseball.

I have no clue what they’re doing during the regular season when they aren’t at MMP but it’s clearly having a hangover effect when they do arrive

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Yep.
That and the WAGs/kids they probably see a lot more of when they are home

It's really unfair that MLB has saddled only the Astros with having to deal with family matters and Fortnite at home. They really should make all other teams cope with those distractions too, so they'll have worse records in their own parks than on the road.