2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

19 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Making a guy that started the game with an era over 8 look like Cy Young. 

Over 10, actually. Not that it matters. Everyone's Bob Gibson against us these days.

But you just wait. I've been told that the second time through the order we're going to get to this dude. What? That was the second time? OK, third time around things are going to change.

20 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It was over 10.

19 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Over 10, actually. Not that it matters. Everyone's Bob Gibson against us these days.

But you just wait. I've been told that the second time through the order we're going to get to this dude. What? That was the second time? OK, third time around things are going to change.

wow, even more embarrassing. 

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Tucker was destroying it since he got sent down so he was as likely to be successful as any of them. Easy to blame AJ but this is not his fault. 

Yeah, at some point all a manager can do is write the guy into the lineup and say, "Got get 'em." Part of what makes baseball such an amazing game is that while the better teams tend to win more often, every pitch, swing and fielding play is an individual effort. When individual hitters don't perform as planned, the team result suffers. One guy can pick someone else up, and that's usually what happens. But when no one is picking anyone up, it's what we've been seeing lately.  

I was just thinking, as yet another sub-mendoza hitter came to the plate against us in MMP, that he'd probably shut his eyes and knock one out. Lo and behold.

We're a pretty bad baseball team right now. Like it or not. We might not end up that way, but of late we have been.  

17 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I was just thinking, as yet another sub-mendoza hitter came to the plate against us in MMP, that he'd probably shut his eyes and knock one out. Lo and behold.

We're a pretty bad baseball team right now. Like it or not. We might not end up that way, but of late we have been.  

Other than JV, our pitchers have been outstanding this series.

This is all on the offense.

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Good enough for the best record in franchise history through 118.

Incredibly.

Good enough for the third best record in baseball.

Incredibly.

Yet, we're scrapping by in our division. 2.5 up after today with a good chance to lose the lead next week. Good going AL West

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Other than JV, our pitchers have been outstanding this series.

This is all on the offense.

Well, yeah. Which still arguably makes us a bad baseball team. Just as a team is bad when it keeps losing 8-7 because no pitcher can get a critical out. Good teams don't keep finding ways to fail when it counts. Sometimes that's on one side or the other, but if you're really good you find a way. Not to get too down over any one game or play, but the 30,000-foot view is uglier than it should be. And I can't convince myself that just because of injuries.  

Yes, we'll be really good again. Hope that starts in the next 15 seconds. But we aren't right now. Here's hoping we can somehow pull this one out and start moving in a better direction.

18 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Well, yeah. Which still arguably makes us a bad baseball team. Just as a team is bad when it keeps losing 8-7 because no pitcher can get a critical out. Good teams don't keep finding ways to fail when it counts. Sometimes that's on one side or the other, but if you're really good you find a way. Not to get too down over any one game or play, but the 30,000-foot view is uglier than it should be. And I can't convince myself that just because of injuries.  

Yes, we'll be really good again. Hope that starts in the next 15 seconds. But we aren't right now. Here's hoping we can somehow pull this one out and start moving in a better direction.

It's because of injuries.

The Astros are one of the best teams in baseball.

They are having a bad run during a 162 game season.

It's frustrating.

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Y’all joke about how getting a wildcard wouldn’t be that bad

Who said that?!

The WC means a one-gamer against the Yankees then a short series against the Red Sox.  Winning the division means a short series against Cleveland.

Failing to win this division would make things a hell of a lot harder.