2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Reddick might be DiMaggio the rest of the way, but I’m just not getting a positive vibe. Then again, I’m in my living room, not the dugout. Still, the dude needs to get back to hitting.

Tucker may be defensively polished enough by the break to bring up.

31 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Reddick might be DiMaggio the rest of the way, but I’m just not getting a positive vibe. Then again, I’m in my living room, not the dugout. Still, the dude needs to get back to hitting.

Agree, you can really get a good idea after 7 PA

No shit.

A world championship has made a lot of our “fan base” insufferable. Between this and the Giles bashing, it could be a long season on this thread (sidenote: Kenley Jansen picking up right where the Astros left him in the World Series)

In other news, I can’t believe the Astros have lost the last two games that Fister has started for the opposing team.

We suck.

• Like 1

Call this game a mulligan for him.

This game was thisclose to giving me the heebie jeebies/nightmares of 2016 where he would have an early inning that he just could not get out of (where he would give up a walk, get squeezed by the ump, some rotten luck blooper, etc)
I thought the fourth was going to be that but fortunately Correa made a helluva play on Rua.
Still seemed like more deep fly balls than normal.

7 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Just another of my random in-game frustrations, for sure. But I was basing it more on the end of last year than the start of this one. I know those two things really shouldn’t be related, but I’m just eager to see the guy get it going. Trying to figure out if he still is as solid a hitter as he was during the 2017 regular season. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Reddick is coming off a career year in terms of BA, slugging, and WAR. Have to expect at least  some regression to the mean but obviously way too early to tell how his season will go.

i almost wish Tucker didn’t have such an impressive spring. Hasn’t been too bad here yet but until he gets called up there’s gonna be UT freshman QB-esque talk of him being the savior to our outfield. 

I’m not to the point of hoping our guy in the minors really isn’t the next Ted Williams. But you’re right about some guy who isn’t playing often being seen as better than one who is. Guess it’s up to Reddick (well, actually, Fisher) to keep Ted in the minors...for now. 

I really don't think we should overreact to yesterday. The Rangers, for whatever reason, always play us tough. They have a really good pitching coach (Brocail) who has consistently produced results better than the sum of their parts. The Rangers should have lost 90+ games last year based upon the talent of their pitching staff. They weren't great by any means, but the guys ability to get average results from washed up pitchers is pretty impressive. Luckily for us, Strom is just as good if not better at the same thing (with better available talent).

The Rangers know we are a fastball hitting team and just didn't throw anything over the plate for us to hit except off speed stuff. We were taking their off speed pitches for strikes and waiting on fast balls which just never really came. I don't see them continually being able to locate like that for an entire series like they have the first two games. These were their best pitchers and they pitched well (even the game we won). It is what it is. 

On our side, DK didn't pitch all that bad, the Rangers just hit some balls really hard that weren't located all that poorly. Some times you just have to tip your cap. I'm not the least bit concerned until we start wildly swinging at pitches in the dirt and taking fast balls. That would be a return to 2016, we were very disciplined last year. We punish bad pitches and fast balls over the plate. As soon as their pitchers start making mistakes the runs will come. Rangers fans should be excited about the way they've pitched to start the season. You couldn't really ask for more. 

11 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

A world championship has made a lot of our “fan base” insufferable. Between this and the Giles bashing, it could be a long season on this thread (sidenote: Kenley Jansen picking up right where the Astros left him in the World Series)

In fairness, I've been Giles-bashing since April 2016. 

Just now, Mez2 said:

You guys all need to chill the fuck out.

Pressing after two games? Reddick a lost cause? Putt not getting laid?

I'll tell you when it's time to worry and it's not even in the same zip code for worry time.

JD's at bat yesterday is the textbook definition of pressing. Bases loaded, gotta be a hero, swing at balls 3 & 4.

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

You guys all need to chill the fuck out.

Pressing after two games? Reddick a lost cause? Putt not getting laid?

I'll tell you when it's time to worry and it's not even in the same zip code for worry time.

I intend to offset my current angst with a like amount of irrational exuberance the first time we score 10 runs. 

Evidently, Marwin thinks the ball will hit itself...

Fuck you for watching three called strikes that were not even remotely close to being borderline while there are runners in scoring position.

He sucked last night and is continuing the suckage.

Swing the gotdam bat you motherfucker.