Predict Texas Football's 2018 Record

gmr548

Predict Texas Football's 2018 Record  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Texas will finish the regular season with a record of...

6 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

There's only one right answer, guys:

Maryland - Win
Tulsa - Win.
USC - Win.
TCU - Win.
K-State - Win.
OU - Win. (OU's only loss of the regular season)
Baylor - Win.
oSu - Win.
WVU - Win.

Tech - Win. 
ISU - Win.
KU - Win.
Big XII Championship game vs. OU - Close win in overtime

Playoffs:
1 seed Texas vs. 4 seed OU - Texas blowout win.
2 seed Bama vs. 3 seed Ohio State - tOSU wins
National Championship: Texas vs. Ohio State - Texas basically beats tOSU like we're Zach and they're Courtney.  The student has officially become the teacher.

Beat ou three times in one year? I like the way you think. 

• Haha 1

11 days from kick - training camp is over, the two-deep is set, and game prep has begun. It is time to call your shot.
I'm going 7-5. Honestly, it's hard to even justify, because this team should be better than that, but you'd be pretty damn accurate over the past five years or so by taking a couple games off of whatever the prevailing opinion of the fanbase is.
@MD - W. Despite the turmoil, Maryland is not without talent and they will obviously believe damn well they can win despite the big spread. Tighter than expected, fans get a bit riled up.
Tulsa - W. Not a bad team for a G5 cupcake - competitive first half, Texas pulls away in the third, get a look at the youngsters in the 4th.
USC - L. Tossup to me but I need to find five losses. Team will be competitive but not quite ready for the big time. Sounds a little too familiar...
TCU - L. Four straight losses by a total of 153-33, Texas scoring no more than 10 points during that stretch. TCU won the game on cruise control last year. I'm gonna need to see a W to believe it at this point.
@KSU - L. The last time Texas won in Manhattan I was 10 years old. I am 26. Should win on paper to be honest, but same as above, I'm gonna need to see it to believe it. Definitely not picking it.
OU - W. OU sucks. 3-3 isn't what anyone hoped for, but everyone loves winning this game.
Baylor - W. Also sucks, feels like a bit of momentum is being built.
@OSU - L. Another toss up that I am using to get to five. Could see us get caught flat out of the bye after starting to feel good about ourselves and overlooking an OSU team that is perceived to have taken a significant step back.
WVU - L. WVU comes in 8-0 and Grier makes up for last year by making a statement on the road. 4-5, bowl looking iffy.
@Tech - W. Losing coach going to feel some extraordinary heat. Fortunately, as scary as Lubbock is to some teams, Tech has done their damage in Austin recently.
ISU - W. They are well coached, but Texas has superior talent and depth towards the end of a long season.
@KU - W. Might suck to play Kansas as an also ran on Thanksgiving weekend, but at least we can enjoy the first trip to Lawrence since 2014 since the 2016 game was weirdly cancelled at the last minute and never played.
Win the bowl against a middle of the road P5 that can't match the talent and athleticism, much like the Texas bowl last year. Another offseason believing next year is "the" year...
Hope I'm wrong on each of the L's.
You sir have a dangerously low koolaid level, you better chug until the jug is dry just to be safe..

I did a double take at your 2016 KU thing, then I understood..

10-2 Losses to USC and Ok St
Replace USC with a decent WVU team seeking revenge for fucking their season last year and that's my final prediction.

I will admit there are a couple other teams I could swap out for what I think will be an overrated Okie Lite, (OUsux or Kstate) but that's what I'm going with..stumbles against the Pokes and hillbillies, followed by a decent bowl that we win.

So this is where I'll throw in some semi-contrarian opinion:

USC - I have a hard time knowing what to expect from this game. Even though we were a Sam Ehlinger fumble away from winning this last year which should portend to us winning this year since we bring a lot of experience back, USC will bring the ultimate wildcard into this game in true freshman JT Daniels, who will play whether as the starter or come in after their starter struggles and start lighting it up. Either way, we don't know what dimension that will add since there will be little to no film on the guy. Only OU will have a similar level of raw talent on teams we play this year and raw talent (as we saw last year in this game) can be a great equalizer if it comes to play. The big advantage Texas has is USC has to go to Stanford the week before and that frankly is a more important game for them to get, even if it doesn't have the same cache as beating us. If they lose to Stanford however, the chances of them beating us go up significantly. It is just how it goes. 

TCU- All of the handwringing over the Frogs is a bit funny-"we can't assume a win because we've sucked against them the last 4 years". As if past performance always guarantees future results. Considering that TCU will be breaking in both a quarterback and an offensive line this season, getting them in September is very advantageous. Not to mention they'll have their version of USC game the week before as well when Ohio State comes to Jerry's place. Someone above mentioned how good the Frogs quarterbacks were. Can anyone really say that what little they've seen of Shawn Robinson and what they haven't seen of Justin Rogers behind an inexperienced line is somehow a significant advantage to TCU, especially against a very good defense (yes the Longhorns will be a very good defense). I'll make a bold prediction that Texas fans will come away much more impressed with USC's freshman JT Daniels than whoever the Frogs throw out there the following week. With the loss of Blacklock and some expected improvement from the UT offense (remember Sam didnt play in Ft Worth last year), Texas should be primed to grab this game in a way they haven't been the past few years

KSU - This is a real toughie given where it falls on the schedule, coming off of 2 intense home contests. Nothing to do with the so called KSU curse, but more to do with the fact that KSU will use 2 different QBs with 2 different skill sets and given the limited preparation time and where this game falls in the schedule will make it extremely challenging to win. I would not be surprised to see Texas roll into this game ranked and with a sparkly record and get knocked back down to earth, especially with OU looming.

OU- Schedule will also play a factor here, especially since OU's is markedly easier leading into this game. Texas will bring the intensity, but can they sustain it for 4 quarters, especially since they haven't had a bye week yet and the intensity of the 3 previous games. OU wins the war of attrition in this scenario. Had Texas played say Baylor or KU the week before, I'd probably think differently because the teams are fairly close otherwise. 

WVU - With limited depth, the Mountaineers need to stay relatively healthy to achieve their season goals. Fortunately, their October is tailor made for this with a bye week and games against KU and Baylor sandwiched around a trip to Ames. The good news for Texas is that their schedule has also lightened up at this point and makes this a really interesting game. If WVU comes in relatively healthy and has found something of a defense, then this tilts it in favor of WVU but I need to see how their season plays out before making a bold prediction. They need very good injury luck. 

Yes....schedule matters.......a lot! I would argue it is a much more significant factor than many folks doing analysis give it. 

Given that I am a pencil pusher, I would give the probable range of outcomes (assuming normal luck on injuries) to be between 8 and 11 wins with 9 being the most likely outcome. The Big 12 will not be as good as it was last year, so finding at least 2 additional wins to achieve the floor is not that difficult, unless the Horns have worse than average turnover and injury luck. Texas acheived +2.3 points from turnovers per game last year at a +8 number. That's slightly above average but not so high that the team will have a difficult time repeating it (Iowa State's was almost double this if you want to look for a team that may see more of a regression to the mean). Injuries are always a great unknown.  

TL:DR  - Some folks are big gaping vaginas on TCU, other teams may be tougher to beat this year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don’t really get the love for WVU. We hung with them just fine in Morgantown in the cold even before they lost Grier. Sounds like their defense has gotten worse sense last season. We are matching strength against strength (their O vs our D) which hopefully offset each other. I like our offense in a home game against their defense. I think we win by 1-2 TDs.

23 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

We hung with them just fine in Morgantown in the cold even before they lost Grier. 

I wouldn't go that far. Prior to Grier going out (in the first quarter) and WV turning the ball over at our goal line as a result, we had two drives for 14 yards. Had Grier not gotten hurt and WVU scored that TD, it might have been a different game. Clearly we played well from that point forward, but I can't say we would have won without that injury.

Grier might be the best QB we see all year. 

I went 8-4. Seems like the team is generally better than last year with a full season and two off seasons under Mensa. Not totally sold on the Mensa regime however.  I may get negged off the board for this but this staff evokes the same excitement in me as the Mackovic staff did, which is not much, really a lot of meh.  They’ll win some they shouldn’t, lose some brain dead games but beat most of who they should.  A little better than last year, but I would love to be wrong and we run the table. 

4 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

I wouldn't go that far. Prior to Grier going out (in the first quarter) and WV turning the ball over at our goal line as a result, we had two drives for 14 yards. Had Grier not gotten hurt and WVU scored that TD, it might have been a different game. Clearly we played well from that point forward, but I can't say we would have won without that injury.

Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield were both better QBs than Grier and we fared pretty well against them on the road and in the cotton bowl. I have faith that the defense will be able to play pretty well against Grier at home.

• Like 1

Playing WVU at the end of the season doesn't scare me, especially their depth (lol) chart. But but but Will Grier and. Uh. That receiver is really good, probably all the land. GTFO.

Holgo will come to Austin, get fucked up the night before and will just try to make it out and survive his pounding headache and fire burps. 

I believe I was 1 of 2 posters who correctly predicted a 6-6 record and a bowl win last August for the 2017 season. This year I’m saying 7-5 with a bowl win.

Maryland- W 

Tulsa -W

USC -W

TCU -L

KSU -L

OU -W

Baylor -W

OK St -L

WVU -L

Tech -W

Iowa St -L, Annual “Herman Head-scratcher” loss

KU -W

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I believe I was 1 of 2 posters who correctly predicted a 6-6 record and a bowl win last August for the 2017 season. This year I’m saying 7-5 with a bowl win.

Maryland- W 

Tulsa -W

USC -W

TCU -L

KSU -L

OU -W

Baylor -W

OK St -L

WVU -L

Tech -W

KU -W

So you’re saying 7-5? Hope not.

6 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

I'm hoping Kyler Murray is the best QB we see, hoping he survives the season long enough for us to knock him out of the game in the 1st Quarter.

10-2

Losses to USC and WVU. Win the big 12, hopefully get a playoff invite. Blow out Miami then a chance to beat Ohio "sex toys" State in the title game :)

Edit: beat blowU on a neutral site for the 2nd time and that solidifies our playoff bid.

double edit: I hate the stupid fuck who thought we needed a championship game AND only 10 teams that all play each other every year. Until we shit on OU twice in the same year I hate this stupid fucking conference. 

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 2

ou is and always be a pick-em simply because of the two schools traditions in that game. The better team has not always managed a win. And they have another midget....and we struggle with midgets. He won’t have Bakers arm, but the little shit can run. And I believe that is the only style that can consistently cause breakdowns and move the chains against our D.

For me the other is USC. I don’t like them, but they have some players who will play at the next level. And they will not fall into the same trap thinking they just have to show up like they did last year. They will start the game better prepared.

I say 10-2, only because I can’t bring myself to go 12-0.

Maryland - W.  Revenge for last year/they’ve got a shit ton of distractions

Tulsa - W.  It’s Tulsa. My sis went there and we saw plenty of shit football 

USC - W. New QB, loss of some guys and hostile environment with the help of CDCs changes. 

TCU - L. Can’t write win till they actually beat fatterson. 

KSU - W.  Gut feeling.  Nothing else.

OU - W. All aboard the Murray bust train. We key in on Anderson and make the midget beat us.  He doesn’t.

Baylor - W. Good game to have post OU high.  Win but very sloppy. 

Okie Lite - L.  We haven’t looked good in stilly for a while. That continues.

WVU - L.  Grier and the couch burners are rolling by this point and we’ve played bad 2 weeks in a row.  Surly meltdown is at a high point for the season.

TTU - W.  Coach Bro’s nail in the coffin.

ISU - W. Ugly win but we’ll take it 

KU - W.  Or fire everyone.

9-3 with invite to a NY6 bowl. Sam pass yards leader, Watson rushing leader, LJH receiving yard leader.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Tulsa - W.  It’s Tulsa. My sis went there and we saw plenty of shit football 

USC - W. New QB, loss of some guys and hostile environment with the help of CDCs changes. 

TCU - L. Can’t write win till they actually beat fatterson. 

KSU - W.  Gut feeling.  Nothing else.

OU - W. All aboard the Murray bust train. We key in on Anderson and make the midget beat us.  He doesn’t.

Baylor - W. Good game to have post OU high.  Win but very sloppy. 

Okie Lite - L.  We haven’t looked good in stilly for a while. That continues.

WVU - L.  Grier and the couch burners are rolling by this point and we’ve played bad 2 weeks in a row.  Surly meltdown is at a high point for the season.

TTU - W.  Coach Bro’s nail in the coffin.

ISU - W. Ugly win but we’ll take it 

KU - W.  Or fire everyone.

9-3 with invite to a NY6 bowl. Sam pass yards leader, Watson rushing leader, LJH receiving yard leader.  

You must be confusing okie state with someone else. We suck and lose at home but play decently and win over there. 

Intangibles for me impact much looking forward. Working in favor of Texas is the thought they might have some real tight ends to produce yards in tough situations. Something seems to be insinuated by the DC - they will increasingly use the lightning package to maximize overall team speed. I recall Jimmie Johnson once saying he didn't care if a player made a mistake if he could ultimately outrun it. It seems to me with lots of young fast guys that might prove critical against several teams - Maryland, USC, and OU come to mind. Team leadership seems better and there is depth at most positions. I am not buying yet but the team has enormous potential - as much as anyone that has hit the field since 2009. On the low side they go 7-5. On the upside they could go undefeated ( yes - undefeated), not just because of the upside but because many other teams they will face have more obstacles than they did last year - TCU, OU, USC and OSU all replace QB's. Others are having to rebuild defense. I think the biggest surprise will come against TCU and that remains the game that will define where Texas goes from there. If they can score against a defense that only gave up 19 points per game, it will say much about what to expect down the road. Also, the strength of schedule is in their favor and lends itself better for absorbing injuries later in the year. Only real reservation is the kicking game...losing their punter and not having a proven kicker may cost them at some point. All this said, one thing few people discuss is Texas kept things close in almost every game last year. For that reason, the few changes I see could be a huge difference. Unfortunately, I also bought on Charlie Strong and have never gotten over it....

Maryland-- We are better this year.

Tulsa-see above.

USC- Close game.  they are breaking in a new QB.  "Roland" Jones II gone.  We win by 3.

TCU- they are breaking in a new QB.  Ross Blaylock out  We finally keep it close.  We win by 6.

Kansas State-Manhattan early in the year.  Good weather.  Wizard keeps it close, but we win on the road by a FG in overtime.

OU sucks-They are good, but we are better this year.  Mayfield, Andrews, that fullback are gone.  Midget and Little Linclon are not enough to overcome Mike Stoops doing his defense version of GDGD.  We win.  

Baylor--Close game.  Closer than expected.  We win because we are at home and the crowd will be nuts since we will be undefeated when we play those assholes.

OSU-  Is their former walk-on QB really the shit?  Will their true freshman QB be starting by then?  Close game, but unless we have a huge letdown or are injury riddled- we win.

UWV-  At home. We twist Will Grier's other fingers in a knot.  We win. 

Tech-  Brain fart loss to these clowns.  Kliff saves his job again.  

Iowa State- Bounce back win at home after losing at Lubuttock.

Kansas-Win

11-1, but with a few breaks at Tech--12-0.  

Average to good QB and OL play will make the above happen.  This reminds me a lot of Shock the Nation and 2008.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Maryland-- We are better this year.

Tulsa-see above.

USC- Close game.  they are breaking in a new QB.  "Roland" Jones II gone.  We win by 3.

TCU- they are breaking in a new QB.  Ross Blaylock out  We finally keep it close.  We win by 6.

Kansas State-Manhattan early in the year.  Good weather.  Wizard keeps it close, but we win on the road by a FG in overtime.

OU sucks-They are good, but we are better this year.  Mayfield, Andrews, that fullback are gone.  Midget and Little Linclon are not enough to overcome Mike Stoops doing his defense version of GDGD.  We win.  

Baylor--Close game.  Closer than expected.  We win because we are at home and the crowd will be nuts since we will be undefeated when we play those assholes.

OSU-  Is their former walk-on QB really the shit?  Will their true freshman QB be starting by then?  Close game, but unless we have a huge letdown or are injury riddled- we win.

UWV-  At home. We twist Will Grier's other fingers in a knot.  We win. 

Tech-  Brain fart loss to these clowns.  Kliff saves his job again.  

Iowa State- Bounce back win at home after losing at Lubuttock.

Kansas-Win

11-1, but with a few breaks at Tech--12-0.  

Average to good QB and OL play will make the above happen.  This reminds me a lot of Shock the Nation and 2008.  

When life hands you lemon and a Turd, you make a big old pitcher of kool-aid. Then you put another Turd in the damn thing. Loss to tech? Get that shit outta here. And why does my autocorrect capitalize Turd?

2 minutes ago, DeweyCox said:

When life hands you lemon and a Turd, you make a big old pitcher of kool-aid. Then you put another Turd in the damn thing. Loss to tech? Get that shit outta here. And why does my autocorrect capitalize Turd?

I know, I know, but bad shit happens in Lubbock.  Especially if it is at night.  It may be capitalized because Turd is my last name.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:36 PM, Helobious said:

Maryland- W 

Tulsa -W

USC -W

TCU -L

KSU -L

OU -W

Baylor -W

OK St -L

WVU -L

Tech -W

KU -W

We'll beat West Virginia. It only takes one broken finger to ensure victory. lol

Remember Strong's year-2... Everything was supposed to be better, even though we were keeping our sub-standard OC.   It didn't work out well then, and I can't see it working out now.   Beck isn't anywhere as bad as Watson, but really, nobody thinks he's one of the better OCs in the Big12.     Maybe the days of us winning in spite of an uninspired OC will return under Herman, but we're not there yet.   I'm in need of some Koolaid.

9 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Remember Strong's year-2... Everything was supposed to be better, even though we were keeping our sub-standard OC.   It didn't work out well then, and I can't see it working out now.   Beck isn't anywhere as bad as Watson, but really, nobody thinks he's one of the better OCs in the Big12.     Maybe the days of us winning in spite of an uninspired OC will return under Herman, but we're not there yet.   I'm in need of some Koolaid.

This is true, but we were three brain fart plays and an OU wheel route to Andrews away from 11 wins last year.    USC, Tech. Okie Lite and OU were just flat out depressing for the way we lost.  

7-5

I was really disappointed to not get the big win last season, regardless of how close they were because that is supposed to be a staple to Herman coached teams. On the flip side of it, we saw where Herman coached teams drop one (2 in our case) they're not supposed to. So I'll say the losses to frog, ousux, and sc. And 2 losses between ksu/tech/okie st/ corn. 

On offense, it's the same people reshuffled with a new position coach at our weakest position last season. The overall depth on the OL is better but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll perform better. Then there's the issue of Tim Beck. If Herman were to be calling plays to start, which all indications are he won't, I'd feel more confident in 8, maybe 9.

Defense is going to disappoint a lot of people early on. As much as we all like Orlando, he lost some key starters and depth (namely LB) to just roll out dominating teams post UMD like last season imo. I think we'll see improvements (hopefully by SC) by the time we're in the brutal 4 game stretch, though. 

• Like 1

I just don't see how in the hell we can be as gawd awful as last season in the big games.  You people predicting 7-5 are making me ragey.  If we have an 0-4 stretch I fear I will not live through it.

I agree with the importance of the USC game.    Even though it is one game it could spell the difference in a 9 or more win season or a 7 or less win season.

22 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I just don't see how in the hell we can be as gawd awful as last season in the big games.  You people predicting 7-5 are making me ragey.  If we have an 0-4 stretch I fear I will not live through it.

I agree with the importance of the USC game.    Even though it is one game it could spell the difference in a 9 or more win season or a 7 or less win season.

Image result for fred thompson hunt for red october

I picked 8-4 and think 7-5 is equally likely.

10 wins is the ceiling to shoot for.

We are better than every team on our schedule except the two Oklahoma schools.  And those games aren't unwinnable.

@KSU scares me because of dark magic and schedule placement.

But we are just not good enough to clean sweep our games against the mid-tier (USC, TCU, Tech, and underrated Iowa St.)

My best, but realistic, case scenario: 10-3.

I think we'll lose 3 in the regular season, including TCU who seem to have our number, WVU who will be a team peaking this year, and one game we should probably win but will lose against either Kstate, OSU, or ISU.  We'll be a much better team but still inconsistent enough to let one slip away from us. 

I do think we'll beat OU and USC this year.  This just makes sense as a year for us to take the RRS, and we were close on SC in their house last year with less experience on our side. 

That plus a bowl win for 10-3.  If we get there, I'd be thrilled with this outcome going into the off-season and recruiting.

I’m going with 6-6 with a cliche (beat someone we’re not supposed to, lose to someone, or in our case several, we’re not supposed to)

call me an ass, call me a troll. I don’t care. 

This program hasn’t shown me they have been able to win more than 6 games in a regular season since 2013. To think they’re capable of doing otherwise after the past 4 seasons’ results I think is premature. 

Long story short: consider me in the wait and see crowd.

• Fuck You 2

I don't get all the Okie Lite love.  Their  QB who allegedly "won the job" is Taylor Cornelius.  Does he even have a college start?  Spencer Sanders is a true freshman.    James Washington and Ateman are gone.  They have to replace three OL starters.  They have a new defensive coordinator from Duke.  The only advantage I see for them is that the game is in Stillwater.    

• Fuck You 1

On 8/25/2018 at 8:50 AM, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

'Revenge' games have not worked out well for us. See: Cal 2016, BYU 2014. 

I still think Maryland tomorrow is a toss-up and I still think 7 wins is where we end up at. People have again bought into the spring $9.95-er kool-aid, this team is improved but not nearly as much as y'all think. And despite all this 'turmoil', Maryland is not going to come out flat against us. Texas Tech was on the verge of firing their coach last year, look how well that worked out for us. Our better unit lost some of its best players (Poona, Malik, Hill, Elliott) and while our run game should pick up the O-line will still struggle to pass protect. Right now I just hope we get out of Maryland with a W and move on from there.