Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Do I know you?

My mom doesn’t even know you...

That poster is a worthless troll that adds nothing to this board.  Put zher on ignore and move on.  

That way they can furiously bang away on their keyboard and you won’t even know.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Texas73 said:

Did they ask her therapist?

Well, they asked Ford's lawyers to give them the notes from the therapist, which the lawyers claimed supported Ford's story.  The lawyers declined to turn over this evidence to the Senate. You are free to draw your own conclusions about whether or not the notes supported Ford's story.  The Senate concluded the notes did not support Ford.

1 hour ago, retread said:

Collins was a good little soldier. She and Flake get to stay in the club.

Yeah cause it's soooo much more egalitarian in the democrat party. They don't mind if you go off the plantation ..... at all. Unless yer black of course or a woman. Then yer an Uncle Tom or an abused, barefoot wife who stays at home and bakes cookies (Hillaries famous line).

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Ronan Farrow (co-author of New Yorker Ramirez story) is hinting that there may be actions brewing towards BK through avenues outside of govt, ie civil/legal.  That’s not surprising.

Disruption is the goal.

Doing it under the flag of justice is pathetic.

7 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Maybe Avenutty will take the case...

Take your pick.  

He’s accumulated numerous parties with similar grievances spanning different schools, states, and years.  The exposure from the confirmation  process exploded old wounds, evidently, and may have spurred real motivation.

After last week, I was half expecting this to occur.  No one can say they’re shocked if it happens.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Take your pick.  

He’s accumulated numerous parties with similar grievances spanning different schools, states, and years.  The exposure from the confirmation  process exploded old wounds, evidently, and may have spurred real motivation.

After last week, I was half expecting this to occur.  No one can say they’re shocked if it happens.

Not that it matters for a justice, but his law license is going to be targeted as well.

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Like his freshman roommate from Yale said, "The downside to me coming forward is much greater than the upside." 

9 hours ago, Cacti said:

That’s an understandable characterization of Kavanaugh based on his testimony alone. And if those few hours of testimony were all we had from which to judge him, then it’s only human to conclude that he revealed his true character…you know, first impressions and all. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, we are not limited to his testimony when evaluating his character/personality. If, at his core he is truly overly emotional and a naked partisan, then surely those flaws could be teased from among the hundreds of opinions that he authored, eleven of which were adopted by SCOTUS.  

Maybe those faults have been discovered in his writings and I’m not aware of them, but the vast majority of arguments against his suitability to serve on SCOTUS have been based on impressions from his hours-long testimony, while totally ignoring his twelve-year history as an appellate judge.

And even if you choose not to take his work history into consideration, then at least take into account that Supreme Court Justices—like appellate court justices—don’t work in an environment anything like a Congressional hearing, where their integrity/character is questioned by partisan hacks. In other words, you won’t see the “overly emotional” Kavanaugh again. As for making “naked partisan” decisions…I guess we will have to wait and see.     

The same people who claim Kavanaugh is a naked partisan and doesn't have the emotional control to be an SC judge drool over Garland.  Kavanaugh and Garland sided together on 93% of the cases their Appeals Court heard.  They disagreed on exactly one case.  So if Kavanaugh is overly partisan than one must conclude that Garland is also partisan.  If you do not consider Garland to be partisan then there is no logical way you can consider Kavanaugh to be partisan.  Any argument otherwise is unsound, invalid, and illogical.

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Most white women happen to love their white husbands, fathers, brothers and sons.  Most of the modern left expresses outright hatred towards white males.

Ah... the plight of the repressed white male in America.  There may be fringe groups, but you really think that the vast majority of “the left” hate white males?  Wanting a seat at the table is not outright hatred towards the host.  And let’s be honest, white males are the host.

”You Will Not Replace Us” ... just be honest and say it.

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The same people who claim Kavanaugh is a naked partisan and doesn't have the emotional control to be an SC judge drool over Garland.  Kavanaugh and Garland sided together on 93% of the cases their Appeals Court heard.  They disagreed on exactly one case.  So if Kavanaugh is overly partisan than one must conclude that Garland is also partisan.  If you do not consider Garland to be partisan then there is no logical way you can consider Kavanaugh to be partisan.  Any argument otherwise is unsound, invalid, and illogical.

More lunacy.  Siding on nominal appeals court cases in no way indicates that they would do so on the SCOTUS bench.  Garland is far more centrist than Kavanaugh, and on polarizing cases, the difference would be obvious.

Never mind that the Republicans practically hand-picked Garland, Obama went with it, and then he got fucked in the ass.  And the right wonders why the left is finally waking up and fighting them down in the dirt.  You guys earned it.  The future will not be good for you.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

More lunacy.  Siding on nominal appeals court cases in no way indicates that they would do so on the SCOTUS bench.  Garland is far more centrist than Kavanaugh, and on polarizing cases, the difference would be obvious.

Never mind that the Republicans practically hand-picked Garland, Obama went with it, and then he got fucked in the ass.  And the right wonders why the left is finally waking up and fighting them down in the dirt.  You guys earned it.  The future will not be good for you.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know where you get your data, but the Republican/Democratic distribution among whites is only 49%/40%.  

4-6-2015_LEDE.png?w=422

That was from 2014.  That was before the left wing of the Democrat party completely lost their marbles over Trump.  That was before all the "old white men"  being screamed in the same manner the KKK screamed  nig___  (this is what they really want to say, there just isn't an equivalent word to describe white old men in the English language so they just scream white old man in the same tone with the same animosity and contempt) by leftist women in front of TV cameras and cell phone cameras (that end up on social media platforms) for the last month.  That survey is as obsolete as a covered wagon in this political climate.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I look forward to the day your children are taken from you, and you have no idea how to even find them. No protesters did that. People wearing the uniforms of our country did.

This is hard to impress among most posters here; it can be assumed most would likely go thru the process of immigrating legally.  

I lived in Mexico for a year. Within 5 minutes of landing in the country for the first time, I was pulled into a room at the airport with 3 guards, all wielding rifles.  I had an FM3 in hand. My company rep was late getting there to pay the “tax” so I was held about a half hour, being treated like a criminal (a criminal with a visa, mind you) because I had a fucking hard hat in my suitcase.  How you think it would have went over had I not been coming in completely legal?  I was just there to work, to make a better life for my family, after all.  Forgive me if I don’t shed a tear for the adults who get sent back.

Seperating these kids is fucking sickening, but please don’t act like we are the only country that doesn’t welcome illegal immigrants with open arms.   Those fucksticks held me until their fucking bribe was paid, as a legal guest.  

Americans romanticize Mexico because we can pig out on pastor and catch sailfish, then leave.  

Now, back to your regularly scheduled assaulty judge confirmation programming...

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

It all comes down to BK happened because Hillary is a lying putrid cunt that turned off voters in the middle. Watch her benghazi testimony. She smirks, giggles, blows off questions, all while testifying about how americans died. Where was the lefts outrage? She got beat by trump. Thats how fuckin terrible of a candidate she was.
Its her fault yet no one says it.
Its all her fault

Was that in hour 1 or 14?

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

From @djrothkopf

What do you do when your country breaks your heart?  When not once but repeatedly it fails to live up to the aspirations of even those citizens with the most modest of aspirations for it? When the ideals of its founders are left to yellow and be forgotten in archives and museums?

What do you do when the political discussion is commandeered not by those w/merely a different ideology but by people who are fundamentally corrupt, evil and valueless. They drape themselves in the flag and profess devotion to their God and demean both every time their lips move.

What do you do when their champions in the media are a brigade of third and fourth-rate intellects, sneering, hateful, sanctimonious arsonists of journalism, enemies of truth, defenders of the indefensible?

What do you do when reason is so often confounded and decency so regularly kicked aside?  What do you do when liars and thieves and abusers are lifted up and public service ceases to be even the nominal objective of public servants?

What do you when those who seek power do so only to enrich themselves and their cronies and then to tear down the institutions on which this society like any other depends upon to survive, when they attack the system of justice, the rule of law and basic ethical standards?

What do you do when they turn against those they are supposed to serve--women, people of color, immigrants who have come to our country to help build as has been done for generations before ours, the LGBTQ community, and even their own "base" that they ruthlessly exploit?

With each of their victories we drift further from who we are supposed to be, worse still from who we might become. And it is heartbreaking. Shattering. Demoralizing.  Over time, the unthinkable becomes commonplace and the unacceptable seems to demand to be accepted.

What do you do then?  Curl up in a ball?  Weep?  Lament it to your friends? Tune it out?  Shake your fist?  Give up? Or do you recognize that moments like these are when the character of a democracy is tested?  Do you realize that it moments like these that make rebirth possible?

At the beginning of this country we faced worse. When slavery divided this country we faced worse.  When world wars threatened this country we faced worse.  When depression rocked our economy we faced worse.  The enemies today are bad, as evil and corrupt as we've ever seen.

But they are not so bad that we cannot be reborn of this crisis as we have been so often before.  he least among us is better than them. They remind us of that daily. The secret is in seeing their depredations as inspirations, today's defeats as the start of tomorrow's victories.

We should only lament our future if we lack the will to fight for it.  I've found this week to be one of the worst in my memory.  I have been heartbroken.  But I also recognize this week's defeat as a call to action.  There is an election in just a month.

We must remember their fears of the results of that election--that the American people will make themselves heard--is what made them rush for with this bleak charade of a Supreme Court nomination battle.  They know we can win.  They expect us to win.

The final verdict on how the Kavanaugh vote will be seen will not be in the newspapers this weekend or in how the White House spins it.  It will come on the night of November 6th when we see whether it mobilized America to turn the tide against these enemies among us.

And it will come thereafter as Democrats, now again empowered, have the opportunity to show what real leadership is, what an appreciation for American ideals can bring when it is embraced by our leaders, what the rule of law should mean, the role decency can play in our lives.

Today is the first day of the victory for America that was inspired by the abuses of the Kavanaugh nominating process, of a president who has betrayed the country, of children in cages, of the tragedy of Puerto Rico, of humiliation abroad, and of rampant corruption everywhere.

That's what happened today.  It won't be reported in the news.  But I believe it. I believe it will be seen as a turning point.  I believe this is a moment for great hope.  But if that is to be true, it is also a moment for resolve and action.  Now.  Starting right now.

And you have the nerve to say people don't have the time to go completely through one of my posts?

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Americans romanticize Mexico because we can pig out on pastor and catch sailfish, then leave.  

Now, back to your regularly scheduled assaulty judge confirmation programming...

You'd think all sides would take greater care to protect what we've created.  Many won't recognize it until it's gone.  It's weird that you have first hand experience for a contrast, but don't understand what we're fighting to protect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

For being angry when he’s falsely accused of sexual assault or for writing naughty words in a high school yearbook? Don’t hold your breath.

Perjury.  Only up to about ten pretty solid counts. 

17 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Except that Kavanaugh has a history of being a political operative before his more recent 12-year stint in the judiciary. Garland does not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

There are a healthy percentage of white women who are moving right because they don’t like how democrats demonize white males.  I live with one.  She voted for Kerry when we were dating.   Now she is right of me   This Kavanaugh thing really pissed her off.  

This is antithetical to everything that I am seeing in my life and online. I'd love to know the pocket of women that you see moving right because the only women I see staying GOP are super hard core Team Jesus (and even some of those are leaving) or are over 65. 

Every formerly Republican woman that I know that is not in those 2 categories, save the one working for R Congressman, is leaving the GOP and not just leaving but going scorched fucking earth. In my neck of the woods (Steiner/Lakeway) they have all flipped Dem and are organizing and raising money for D candidates locally and nationwide, with an insane fervor. They are not in the "until GOP leadership changes" but in the "NEVER AGAIN" category. These are mostly born and raised Texans that have always voted GOP as well as raised money, helped with local campaigns. (though Trump pushed a lot of them away in 2016). This is different though, because Trump seemed like a 1-off deal and they voted GOP further down the ticket -- but now? Not a fucking chance.  

The Kavanaugh thing made things deeply personal because of the deeply personal and resonant nature of sexual assault and the staggering number of women who have dealt with it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

That was from 2014.  That was before the left wing of the Democrat party completely lost their marbles over Trump.  That was before all the "old white men"  being screamed in the same manner the KKK screamed  nig___  (this is what they really want to say, there just isn't an equivalent word to describe white old men in the English language so they just scream white old man in the same tone with the same animosity and contempt) by leftist women in front of TV cameras and cell phone cameras (that end up on social media platforms) for the last month.  That survey is as obsolete as a covered wagon in this political climate.

You're insane.  The political demographics of race don't swing substantially in 4 years.   Burden of proof to the contrary is on you.

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is antithetical to everything that I am seeing in my life and online. I'd love to know the pocket of women that you see moving right because the only women I see staying GOP are super hard core Team Jesus (and even some of those are leaving) or are over 65. 

I'll give you a few examples:

- There was a sharp move in the North Dakota Senate race.

- There was a sharp move in the Tennessee Senate race.

- The was a huge move in GOP voter intensity.

- There was a tripling in fundraising. (I can't remember which national group.)

- Locally, we're getting a big uptick in response by workers knocking on GOP doors.

13 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

- Locally, we're getting a big uptick in response by workers knocking on GOP doors.

tenor.gif?itemid=4204802

16 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

If we accept all of these things as true, can you prove that they represent a shift in the way whites vote, or is it more likely evidence of more voters at the polls?

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Notice how it’s the leftists that initiate 99% of the personal attacks and insults on this board?

And this gets cheered on by the mob.  Again, this is Texags politics now.  Just for the left.  

You're become a sad ideologue rah-team! member of the board. It's disappointing because, as I recall, you were staunch on Shaggy but not so prone to exclusively pre-fabricated sound bites and broad brush statements about the left and right as you see them. Maybe my memory is wrong about that, but it's not worth researching.

That said, I think you have a point about anti-Trump posters too often resorting to name calling. It's a losing tactic in argument and just makes a hostile environment less intellectual. The right has been vicious in using hate politics, but not every right wing poster has parroted those tactics. 

I despise Trump and the amateur operatives who knowingly repeat lies and obfuscation. I've made it my jihad to point it out and neg posts that reflect this. Adding "you're an idiot" to those posts of mine would add little value and likely diminish the message. 

I've taken a lot of words to say that I wish name-calling would be reduced on the board. It reflects poorly on the name-caller, and we have some first rate writers stooping to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

I talked to my mom last night. She never talks politics, but last night she mentioned that she had watched Collins’ speech. She was impressed.  /csb

If she hadn't been following closely, she was exactly the audience that speech was directed at. With no context, Collins makes the case for Kavanaugh. The speech does not satisfy the objections to Kavanaugh that have arisen in the past weeks. The speech also referred to endorsements that have been withdrawn and ignores the scores of persons and organizations objecting to Kavanaugh.

Collins did her job and should be ashamed.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

What difference would it make if she lied to her therapist too?

Why would she? And why would she name Kavanaugh to her husband if she were fabricating a story to get some kind of perverse sympathy? It'd work better if she claimed not to know the assailant. That way should could never be proved wrong or even challenged.

In the face of purely speculative tactics to discredit Ford, I still believe her. I also don't believe that the persons stepping forward and being ignored by the FBI are acting out of political motives. They know that Kavanaugh will be replaced by a nominee with the same conservative stances. The difference is that these new candidates will not be liars, political hacks or likely sexual assailants.

This Kavanaugh thing will ply differently in different states.  I’m very confident it is an advantage for Ted Cruz in Texas.  

Because say what you want, Cruz wins easily with likely Texas voters if the vote is about whether you want one or Texas’ two senate votes to go to McConnell over Schumer.  

Beto wins on personality. 

This incident places the McConnell - Schumer issue right out front. 

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Why would she? And why would she name Kavanaugh to her husband if she were fabricating a story to get some kind of perverse sympathy? It'd work better if she claimed not to know the assailant. That way should could never be proved wrong or even challenged.

In the face of purely speculative tactics to discredit Ford, I still believe her. I also don't believe that the persons stepping forward and being ignored by the FBI are acting out of political motives. They know that Kavanaugh will be replaced by a nominee with the same conservative stances. The difference is that these new candidates will not be liars, political hacks or likely sexual assailants.

Why won't she turn over the notes from her therapist?  Answer: Clearly, they don't say what she and her lawyers say they say.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If we accept all of these things as true, can you prove that they represent a shift in the way whites vote, or is it more likely evidence of more voters at the polls?

I can't prove anything.  I can only guess.

99 times out of 100 this sort of this is the result of mildly motivated people becoming highly motivated.  I'll guess that's the case here.

13 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think he was trying to be clever with me since I said Icono's allegations against Soros should be held up as proof.  And I am still waiting on the goods on Soros, not just regurgitated Fox sound bites.   

Facts. Here you go. Paid protestors 

A Sept. 30 article in the National Review noted that the two women who confronted Flake — a video of their encounter went viral — were Ana Maria Archila, the co-executive director of the Center for Popular Democracy, and Maggie Gallagher, a 23-year-old activist with the group.

“Perhaps because the women expressed such raw emotion, few media outlets dug into their political activism,” the National Review reported. “The Center is a left-wing group that is heavily funded by George Soros’s Open Society Foundations. Indeed, as of 2014, the Open Society was one of the three largest donors to the group.”

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Why won't she turn over the notes from her therapist?  Answer: Clearly, they don't say what she and her lawyers say they say.

For the 50th fucking time, she and her lawyers were 100% willing to hand over her therapy notes to the FBI. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

27 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're become a sad ideologue rah-team! member of the board. It's disappointing because, as I recall, you were staunch on Shaggy but not so prone to exclusively pre-fabricated sound bites and broad brush statements about the left and right as you see them. Maybe my memory is wrong about that, but it's not worth researching.

That said, I think you have a point about anti-Trump posters too often resorting to name calling. It's a losing tactic in argument and just makes a hostile environment less intellectual. The right has been vicious in using hate politics, but not every right wing poster has parroted those tactics. 

I despise Trump and the amateur operatives who knowingly repeat lies and obfuscation. I've made it my jihad to point it out and neg posts that reflect this. Adding "you're an idiot" to those posts of mine would add little value and likely diminish the message. 

I've taken a lot of words to say that I wish name-calling would be reduced on the board. It reflects poorly on the name-caller, and we have some first rate writers stooping to it.

The hypocrisy. I seent it. 

Whoever said this is a leftist board of TexAgs was dead on. Lead by a couple of socks and a banned Tiger rant troll. 

Keep buying those pussy hats and Micky Rouke yard signs. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1