Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

54 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Interesting read...

http://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/aftermath-as-prologue/

“I believe her!”

Really? Why should anyone believe her?

Senator Collins of Maine said she believed that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford experienced something traumatic, just not at the hands of Mr. Kavanaugh. I believe Senator Collins said that to placate the #Metoo mob, not because she actually believed it. I believe Christine Blasey Ford was lying, through and through, in her injured little girl voice, like a bad imitation of Truman Capote.

I believe that the Christine Blasey Ford gambit was an extension of the sinister activities underway since early 2016 in the Department of Justice and the FBI to un-do the last presidential election, and that the real and truthful story about these seditious monkeyshines is going to blow wide open.

It turns out that the Deep State is a small world. Did you know that the lawyer sitting next to Dr. Ford in the Senate hearings, one Michael Bromwich, is also an attorney for Andrew McCabe, the former FBI Deputy Director fired for lying to investigators from his own agency and currently singing to a grand jury? What a coincidence. Out of all the lawyers in the most lawyer-infested corner of the USA, she just happened to hook up with him.

It’s a matter of record that Dr. Ford traveled to Rehobeth Beach Delaware on July 26, where her Best Friend Forever and former room-mate, Monica McLean, lives, and that she spent the next four days there before sending a letter July 30 to Senator Diane Feinstein that kicked off the “sexual assault” circus. Did you know that Monica McClean was a retired FBI special agent, and that she worked in the US Attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York under Preet Bharara, who had earlier worked for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer?

Could Monica McLean have spent those four days in July helping Christine Blasey Ford compose her letter to Mrs. Feinstein? Did you know that Monica McClean’s lawyer, one David Laufman is a former DOJ top lawyer who assisted former FBI counter-intel chief Peter Strozk on both the Clinton and Russia investigations before resigning in February this year — in fact, he sat in on the notorious “unsworn” interview with Hillary in 2016. Wow! What a really small swamp Washington is!

Did you know that Ms. Leland Keyser, Dr. Ford’s previous BFF from back in the Holton Arms prep school, told the final round of FBI investigators in the Kavanaugh hearing last week — as reported by the The Wall Street Journal — that she “felt pressured” by Monica McLean and her representatives to change her story — that she knew nothing about the alleged sexual assault, or the alleged party where it allegedly happened, or that she ever knew Mr. Kavanaugh. I think that’s called suborning perjury.

None of this is trivial and the matter can’t possibly rest there. Too much of it has been unraveled by what remains of the news media. And meanwhile, of course, there is at least one grand jury listening to testimony from the whole cast-of-characters behind the botched Hillary investigation and Robert Mueller’s ever more dubious-looking Russian collusion inquiry: the aforementioned Strozk, Lisa Page, James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Bill Priestap, et. al. I have a feeling that these matters are now approaching critical mass with the parallel unraveling of the Christine Blasey Ford “story.”

The Democratic Party has its fingerprints all over this, as it does with the shenanigans over the Russia investigation. Not only do I not believe Dr. Ford’s story; I also don’t believe she acted on her own in this shady business. What’s happening with all these FBI and DOJ associated lawyers is an obvious circling of the wagons.

More at the link

holy shit, small world indeed with those lawyer facts.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Interesting read...

“I believe her!”

Senator Collins of Maine said she believed that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford experienced something traumatic, just not at the hands of Mr. Kavanaugh. I believe Senator Collins said that to placate the #Metoo mob, not because she actually believed it. I believe Christine Blasey Ford was lying, through and through, in her injured little girl voice, like a bad imitation of Truman Capote.

I believe that the Christine Blasey Ford gambit was an extension of the sinister activities underway since early 2016 in the Department of Justice and the FBI to un-do the last presidential election, and that the real and truthful story about these seditious monkeyshines is going to blow wide open.

It turns out that the Deep State is a small world. Did you know that the lawyer sitting next to Dr. Ford in the Senate hearings, one Michael Bromwich, is also an attorney for Andrew McCabe, the former FBI Deputy Director fired for lying to investigators from his own agency and currently singing to a grand jury? What a coincidence. Out of all the lawyers in the most lawyer-infested corner of the USA, she just happened to hook up with him.

It’s a matter of record that Dr. Ford traveled to Rehobeth Beach Delaware on July 26, where her Best Friend Forever and former room-mate, Monica McLean, lives, and that she spent the next four days there before sending a letter July 30 to Senator Diane Feinstein that kicked off the “sexual assault” circus. Did you know that Monica McClean was a retired FBI special agent, and that she worked in the US Attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York under Preet Bharara, who had earlier worked for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer?

Could Monica McLean have spent those four days in July helping Christine Blasey Ford compose her letter to Mrs. Feinstein? Did you know that Monica McClean’s lawyer, one David Laufman is a former DOJ top lawyer who assisted former FBI counter-intel chief Peter Strozk on both the Clinton and Russia investigations before resigning in February this year — in fact, he sat in on the notorious “unsworn” interview with Hillary in 2016. Wow! What a really small swamp Washington is!

Did you know that Ms. Leland Keyser, Dr. Ford’s previous BFF from back in the Holton Arms prep school, told the final round of FBI investigators in the Kavanaugh hearing last week — as reported by the The Wall Street Journal — that she “felt pressured” by Monica McLean and her representatives to change her story — that she knew nothing about the alleged sexual assault, or the alleged party where it allegedly happened, or that she ever knew Mr. Kavanaugh. I think that’s called suborning perjury.

None of this is trivial and the matter can’t possibly rest there. Too much of it has been unraveled by what remains of the news media. And meanwhile, of course, there is at least one grand jury listening to testimony from the whole cast-of-characters behind the botched Hillary investigation and Robert Mueller’s ever more dubious-looking Russian collusion inquiry: the aforementioned Strozk, Lisa Page, James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Bill Priestap, et. al. I have a feeling that these matters are now approaching critical mass with the parallel unraveling of the Christine Blasey Ford “story.”

The Democratic Party has its fingerprints all over this, as it does with the shenanigans over the Russia investigation. Not only do I not believe Dr. Ford’s story; I also don’t believe she acted on her own in this shady business. What’s happening with all these FBI and DOJ associated lawyers is an obvious circling of the wagons.

More at the link

Related image

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/10/brett-kavanaugh-poll-majority-oppose-most-unpopular-supreme-court-justice.html

Poll : Majority of Americans Say Kavanugh Shouldn't Be on the Supreme Court.

I think this what drives some of us a bit crazy. The GOP gives zero fucks. Why should they worry? They have the system primed in their favor. A Blue Wave in 2018?! Give me a break.

Oh yeah, the Democrats will gain the majority of overall votes this Fall, but the GOP will retain the House and Senate.

The dems give zero fucks hence the bernie railroading

Independents disapprove of Democrats' handling of the Brett Kavanaugh nomination by a 28-point margin

After a blistering confirmation battle, Justice Brett Kavanaugh will take his seat for oral arguments on the U.S. Supreme Court with a skeptical public, a majority of which opposed his nomination. However, Democrats may not be able to exploit this fact in the upcoming elections as much as they hope, because the independent voters overwhelmingly disapprove of their own handling of the nomination by a 28-point margin, a new CNN/SSRS poll finds

Overall, just 41 percent of those polled said they wanted to see Kavanaugh confirmed, compared to 51 percent who said they opposed his confirmation. In previous CNN polls dating back to Robert Bork in 1987, no nominee has been more deeply underwater. 

What's interesting, however, is even though Democrats on the surface would seem to have public opinion on their side, just 36 percent approved of how they handled the nomination, compared to 56 percent who disapproved. (Republicans were at 55 percent disapproval and 35 percent approval). A further breakdown finds that 58 percent of independents disapproved of the way the Democrats handled the nomination — compared to 30 percent who approved. (Independents also disapproved of Republicans handling of the matter, but by a narrower 53 percent to 32 percent margin).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/independents-disapprove-of-democrats-handling-of-the-brett-kavanaugh-nomination-by-a-28-point-margin

Does this translate to the midterms?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A Cellar Honker said:

Independents disapprove of Democrats' handling of the Brett Kavanaugh nomination by a 28-point margin

After a blistering confirmation battle, Justice Brett Kavanaugh will take his seat for oral arguments on the U.S. Supreme Court with a skeptical public, a majority of which opposed his nomination. However, Democrats may not be able to exploit this fact in the upcoming elections as much as they hope, because the independent voters overwhelmingly disapprove of their own handling of the nomination by a 28-point margin, a new CNN/SSRS poll finds

Overall, just 41 percent of those polled said they wanted to see Kavanaugh confirmed, compared to 51 percent who said they opposed his confirmation. In previous CNN polls dating back to Robert Bork in 1987, no nominee has been more deeply underwater. 

What's interesting, however, is even though Democrats on the surface would seem to have public opinion on their side, just 36 percent approved of how they handled the nomination, compared to 56 percent who disapproved. (Republicans were at 55 percent disapproval and 35 percent approval). A further breakdown finds that 58 percent of independents disapproved of the way the Democrats handled the nomination — compared to 30 percent who approved. (Independents also disapproved of Republicans handling of the matter, but by a narrower 53 percent to 32 percent margin).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/independents-disapprove-of-democrats-handling-of-the-brett-kavanaugh-nomination-by-a-28-point-margin

All this poll states is that everyone is pissed off at all parties involved regarding Kavanaugh.  It's not surprising that the Examiner tried to pick pieces of corn out of the shit pile, but trying to extrapolate this poll to any midterm meaning is a fool's errand.  An article could have just as easily been written as to how Republicans are similarly displeased with how their party handled the process EVEN THOUGH THEY GOT WHAT THEY WANTED.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Democrats had a 5 turnover game on this. They should of marshaled the evidence of temperament, lying, and sexual assault corroborating evidence and held a 1 hour press conference where Senator Harris gives a closing statement like a trial and speaks to all of it including the standard of review of advise and consent and make their case to the public. That never happened, instead Lindsey Graham was confused for an actual statesman.

All this poll states is that everyone is pissed off at all parties involved regarding Kavanaugh.  It's not surprising that the Examiner tried to pick pieces of corn out of the shit pile, but trying to extrapolate this poll to any midterm meaning is a fool's errand.  An article could have just as easily been written as to how Republicans are similarly displeased with how their party handled the process EVEN THOUGH THEY GOT WHAT THEY WANTED.

Wut? You don’t get to say what the poll says. That’s like re-writing the Magna Carta.

Not a BK/Trump/GOP fan at all, but imo the Dems (once again) showed their organizational incompetence. They (Dems) would have been better off avoiding this whole ordeal. 

I think Feinstein was in a tough spot with the letter, but in hindsight she chose poorly in how she handled Ford's letter.

Was getting the kid ready for school this morning with the news on in the background. Did a double take when I heard Trump start a sentence with "I apologize.."

That's weird. I don't think I've heard him utter those words. 

"...to Brett Kavanaugh and his family for what they've been through."  Yadda yadda yadda. 

Of course. What a fucking joke. 

1 hour ago, A Cellar Honker said:

The problem with thinking this will negatively affect Democrats is that independents aren't going to vote based on Kavanaugh. They are going to vote because they hate Donald Trump.

24 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Was getting the kid ready for school this morning with the news on in the background. Did a double take when I heard Trump start a sentence with "I apologize.."

"...to Brett Kavanaugh and his family for what they've been through."  Yadda yadda yadda. 

"I'm sorry that those awful women made me look bad. It's disgraceful! I've been falsely accused many, many times, so I know something about it."

Just now, Hammock said:

A lot of voters will see right through the Dem's smear campaign and that will not help the left. I'm not a huge Trump fan but I would be shocked if he lost in 2020. 

I would be shocked if he won in 2020, but if the economy stays strong and there are no wars, I'm not sure he loses right now.  I cannot believe I'm even typing that.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/a-savage-frothing-left-has-united-republicans-around-trump

Just in time for the last lap of the 2018 midterm elections, the Kavanaugh fiasco has united the post-Trump Republican Party like nothing before it.

Suddenly, President Trump and former President George W. Bush were pulling for the same candidate. Suddenly, Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, and Jeff Flake of Arizona are conservative heroes, having proven themselves friends in need.

Suddenly, long-term "Never Trumpers," to their surprise and astonishment, have a strange new respect for their commander in chief. “For the first time since Donald Trump entered the political fray, I find myself grateful that he’s in it,” Bret Stephens wrote in the New York Times on Oct. 4. “I’m reluctant to admit it and astonished to say it. ... I’m grateful because Trump has not backed down in the face of the slipperiness, hypocrisy and dangerous standard-setting deployed by the opponents of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination … I’m grateful because he’s a big fat hammer fending off a razor-sharp dagger … I’m grateful because ferocious and even crass obstinacy has its uses in life.”

But step back and ask yourself just why the Never Trumpers disliked Trump in the first place in 2016, and some of the answers begin to emerge. He seemed vulgar and crass and authoritarian. The aura of violence seemed to hang over his rallies. He seemed eager to overturn settled norms.

But in the battle for Kavanaugh, it was the Democrats, the feminists, and the Left who seemed crass and vulgar and eager to overturn norms. They were truly hysterical and utterly discarded the idea that guilt has to be proven, or at least some evidence given, savaging those who referred back to this mainstay principle of the Constitution and the common law.

In the course of the war, Republican lawmakers were harassed, stalked, and threatened, and threats were made on their children and their lives. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and his wife were chased from a Washington restaurant, which had to hire security. In the eye of the storm, Collins’ offices in Maine and Washington “field[ed] threatening, profanity-laden phone calls and letters,” Newsweek reported. “If you care at all about women’s choice, vote ‘no’ on Kavanaugh. Don’t be a dumb bitch,” wrote one correspondent.

A letter to her office in Maine read, “If you vote for Kavanaugh, every waitress who serves you is going to spit in your food, and that’s if you’re lucky. … Another caller told one of Collins’ 25-year-old female staffers that he hoped she’d be raped.”

Republican Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner’s wife got a threatening text message featuring a beheading video.

Protesters infested the Capitol at the height of the struggle, howling and hurling themselves at the walls.

In 2016, we were warned that if Trump was elected, it would be the end of civility. They were right, but it was coming from the resistance to Trump, not from the White House.

It was Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who did not act on the letter from Christine Blasey Ford when it could have been handled more quietly. She sat on it until the hearings were over and an enormous disruption was bound to occur when the allegations leaked.

Democrats en masse turned their backs on the presumption of innocence, willing to wreck one man’s life over one allegation that never seemed grounded in fact. Everything the Never Trumpers had feared was about to take place was indeed coming at them, but not from Trump. It was coming from the people who claimed that they were his opponents. This has changed the Never Trumpers’ ideas about who was their enemy. How long they can hold to this formulation depends on the Left, and on him.

50 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The problem with thinking this will negatively affect Democrats is that independents aren't going to vote based on Kavanaugh. They are going to vote because they hate Donald Trump.

I'll believe it (the Inds voting against Trump in large numbers) when I see it. 

This upcoming election could  very well be Hillary 2.0. 

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Grandfathered plans before 2010 are not required to do so.  And this is a majority of employer-sponsored plans.

Is this true? I don't think so. Seems like a lot of employer-sponsored plans had to become ACA compliant, and bitched about it. I could be wrong.

Will there be an ACA case before the SC? Will Blubberin' Brett vote to overturn Roberts' decision of just a term ago? High drama to ensue.

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Interesting read...

“I believe her!”

More at the link

There's a simpler explanation than this convoluted conspiracy theory: she's telling the truth.

Use the razor.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I would be shocked if he won in 2020, but if the economy stays strong and there are no wars, I'm not sure he loses right now.  I cannot believe I'm even typing that.

Economy sucks in the rust belt though. CA, NY, and TX booming dont move the needle for them. The economy was booming in 2016 too. Trump recognized that swing state small towns were still having a rough go of it. He promised them the world and hasnt delivered it. In fact, like in 2016, the economic separation they see when you eat cake claiming everything is grand while they eat shit is still a primary reason they vote the way they do.  Their lives havent changed for the better.  Now Trump is on the other side of the equation. Those voters are primed for an actual socialist candidate. 

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Economy sucks in the rust belt though. CA, NY, and TX booming dont move the needle for them. The economy was booming in 2016 too. Trump recognized that swing state small towns were still having a rough go of it. He promised them the world and hasnt delivered it. In fact, like in 2016, the economic separation they see when you eat cake claiming everything is grand while they eat shit is still a primary reason they vote the way they do.  Their lives havent changed for the better.  Now Trump is on the other side of the equation. Those voters are primed for an actual socialist candidate. 

Of course their lives have changed for the better.  They can be openly racist and mysogonistic.  That's a win for them. 

13 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Listen, you've been accused of doxxing. I read the post, he seems credible. That's all we need. There may or not be corroboration but that isn't important. You should self ban you fucking rapist.

You should go fuck yourself instead of calling for everyone to get banned.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Of course their lives have changed for the better.  They can be openly racist and mysogonistic.  That's a win for them. 

You're applying the motivations of shaggy's, mostly Texas based, "conservative" voters to voters in the Midwest.  Loads of primarily white towns in the Midwest voted Obama, and then Trump.  Race games weren't their motivation.  His promises to get the factories back in operation were.  A Dem can easily get them back if they just make any effort in the Midwest at all.  An actual socialist can sweep them because a socialist gov't can actually place jobs.  A laissez faire gov't can't make the private sector reopen anything anywhere, much less in any specific place.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

You're applying the motivations of shaggy's, mostly Texas based, "conservative" voters to voters in the Midwest.  Loads of primarily white towns in the Midwest voted Obama, and then Trump.  Race games weren't their motivation.  His promises to get the factories back in operation were.  A Dem can easily get them back if they just make any effort in the Midwest at all.  An actual socialist can sweep them because a socialist gov't can actually place jobs.  A laissez faire gov't can't make the private sector reopen anything anywhere, much less in any specific place.

I'm with you on the first part, I'm less convinced on the second part.  You breathe the word "socialist" to my soybean farmer relatives up in Illinois, and they'd lose their goddam minds.

18 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

If you think that union members are primed for a socialist candidate you are the looniest person in this thread and that is a damn impressive accomplishment.

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

I'm with you on the first part, I'm less convinced on the second part.  You breathe the word "socialist" to my soybean farmer relatives up in Illinois, and they'd lose their goddam minds.

Nobody said that terminology isn't a fine line to walk.  There's hardly an industry in the USA that is more socialized than farming already, however.  But its the prior union factory worker that is the core voter.  He's also socialist while not knowing it and thinking its a dirty word.  And even around the nearest town where your relatives live, the vast majority of people don't work on a farm and even fewer own a farm.  Instead, they live in a hardscrabble town with barely any jobs.  Trump promised to reopen the factory.  He didn't promise to help them pick soybeans.

And really, Trump went and sold them a lie.  But the bigger deal is that Hillary didn't even try to sell them on anything.  She didn't set foot in Wisconsin.  She only went to 3 spots in Michigan.  Swing state voters aren't like you, me, or Johnny Sack.  The three of us don't expect a Presidential candidate to spend 5 minutes in our already decided states.  Hell, they only come to mine to have 50,000 dollar a plate fundraising dinners and can't even be bothered with a townhall while they are in town.  Right or wrong, swing state voters have become accustomed to direct access to candidates, and they feel shit upon when a candidate doesn't try to come win their votes personally.  Trump showed up there.  Hillary didn't.

• Like 2

Just now, EMAWesome said:

If you think that union members are primed for a socialist candidate you are the looniest person in this thread and that is a damn impressive accomplishment.

Oh yeah. Union members are super anti-labor.  Name it whatever you want, slugger.  Power to the workers.  Power to the people.  Union strong.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Oh yeah. Union members are super anti-labor.  Name it whatever you want, slugger.  Power to the workers.  Power to the people.  Union strong.

Try convincing a teamster that socialism is the way to go.  Make sure to have your cell phone turned the right way.  I want the best angle possible for my entertainment value.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah no mid west, rust belt blue collar voter is ever gonna vote socialist (knowingly).

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Try convincing a teamster that socialism is the way to go.  Make sure to have your cell phone turned the right way.  I want the best angle possible for my entertainment value.

You're stuck on buzzwords, big guy.  However, you could walk through all aspects of socialism with a Teamster without using the "socialism" word and he'd agree entirely.  I'm also not sure why you think me having a conversation with a UPS driver would be entertaining.  Most of them are pretty nice people.  You probably wouldn't be able to get hired.  Your brain is 50 years behind on the Teamsters just like it is on every other topic.  Hoffa disappeared in 1975.

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If you had any real connection to your Persian side you would have noticed how angry Iranian-American women are towards the Democrats and the accuser during this Kavanaugh debacle. They view it from the perspective of their father, brother or husband being persecuted. No sympathy for the girl. This applies to the other Mizrahi Jews I know as well. I know Mojo and ChuckieFinster live in an Ashkenazi/Reform bubble. Their co-religionists from my part of the world agree with me not them.

25 minutes ago, Hammock said:

Socialism in America. I'll believe it when I see it.

That's because you can only think in black and white. Socialism as an entire economic system is never going to happen as long as the United States exists as a going concern. There are, however, many aspects of our society that are socialist in nature: Medicare, Social Security, public school, the VA. There are many others. 

We have a mixed economy that leans heavily toward capitalism, but make no mistake, socialism exists in the United States and we are better off for it.

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

If you had any real connection to your Persian side you would have noticed how angry Iranian-American women are towards the Democrats and the accuser during this Kavanaugh debacle. They view it from the perspective of their father, brother or husband being persecuted. No sympathy for the girl. This applies to the other Mizrahi Jews I know as well. I know Mojo and ChuckieFinster live in an Ashkenazi/Reform bubble. Their co-religionists from my part of the world agree with me not them.

I have a pretty strong connection to my Persian side, considering both of my parents (including my Irish Hobbit mom) are Baha'is. My father's family has felt the devastating effects of persecution. And the Baha'i teachings stressed men and women are equal. 

Luckily I grew up hearing stuff like this:

"The world of humanity is possessed of two wings: the male and the female. So long as these two wings are not equivalent in strength, the bird will not fly. Until womankind reaches the same degree as man, until she enjoys the same arena of activity, extraordinary attainment for humanity will not be realized; humanity cannot wing its way to heights of real attainment. When the two wings or parts become equivalent in strength, enjoying the same prerogatives, the flight of man will be exceedingly lofty and extraordinary." - Abdu'l-Baha

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Probably not much to look at either. Odds are very big on that front 

Please take the great Earl Campbell out of you avatar. He's a great Texan who would never drop the line you just did. He is an admirable public figure beloved for more than his singular ability to run the football.

You're not worthy.

• Like 2