Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Kennedy's do you believe in God line of questioning to Kav was some eye rolling bullshit.

He’s like a combination of Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham, snake oil salesman with actual Southern charm.  Did you know he spent the Fourth of July in Moscow?

Fuck him.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I should probably make this a poll, but let's go informal.  Let's talk about Julie Swetnick's allegation and the letter her former boyfriend sent to the committee.

A key aspect of the effort to discredit Swetnick is the implication that she was just a slut, someone who enjoyed having sex with one boy after another, Train-style (capital "T" because I hate the band).  Let's take that at face value -- she was a slut, with questionable morals.  Wouldn't it stand to reason that any boy involved would also be guilty of the same moral turpitude?  Wouldn't that indict Brett Kavanaugh, as opposed to the line of thought that "well maybe, but she was a slut and those boys were just being boys"?

Ultimately, what I'm getting at is this:  would you think any less of a SCOTUS nominee if he was known to have participated in running a train on a girl?

Why are you even asking that?  Hasn’t this lady already been discredited?

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:
Thank you Orrin Hatch for bringing the wood to those who say Judge Kavanaugh doesn’t have “judicial temperament”. I have never been more fired up to vote Republican in the midterm. Sorry Beto, I’d much rather grab a beer with you than Ted and you seem like a good dude, but the Democrats needs to be put in their place. The GOP base is as energized as I have seen it. This is one of the best columns I have read about this farce. The Democrats were going to pull out all of their dirty tricks to stop whichever nominee we chose.

P.S. Tucker Carlson’s new book Ship of Fools has been a fantastic. I have already read half of it and it just came out yesterday.

Brett Kavanaugh’s Righteous Anger

His foes seem to think a good judge would respond like a robot to scurrilous personal attacks.

Orrin Hatch Oct. 2, 2018 6:35 p.m. ET ED-AX969_HATCHO_GR_20181002113627.jpg

A notable shift occurred in the left’s anti-Kavanaugh campaign over the weekend. Attention has turned away from Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations of sexual assault—the entire reason for last week’s hearing and the ensuing delay in Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation vote—and toward his behavior at the hearing.

We’re starting to see arguments like the following: Even if Judge Kavanaugh is innocent, what he said at the hearing, and how he said it, is disqualifying.

This is rich. The hearing occurred in the first place only because of Democratic duplicity. It occurred only because Senate Democrats sat on Ms. Ford’s allegations for six weeks rather than referring them to committee investigators, as they should have done immediately. It occurred only because Ms. Ford’s lawyers—recommended to Ms. Ford by Senate Democrats—refused to tell their client of our invitation to testify privately in California, as she said she preferred.

That Judge Kavanaugh had the temerity to defend himself vigorously is now being counted as a strike against him. Over and over we hear him described as “angry,” “belligerent” or “partisan,” followed by the claim that his conduct at the hearing shows that he lacks a judicial temperament. Even “Saturday Night Live” got in on the action.

You’ve got to be kidding me. Do the people making this argument really expect a man who until five seconds ago had an unblemished reputation to sit passively while his reputation is viciously and permanently destroyed? While he is accused of the most horrific and obscene acts imaginable? Judge Kavanaugh’s critics seem to be aghast that he is a human being who is unwilling to take slander lying down.

Had Judge Kavanaugh sat dispassionately through Thursday’s hearing and denied the allegations weakly, his critics would have taken his lack of forcefulness as proof of guilt. We all know this. We’re not stupid. Spare us the pearl-clutching.

More to the point, this whole “temperament” argument is a non sequitur. Obviously Judge Kavanaugh would recuse himself if his own case came before the court. We’re told that a man who reacts with understandable indignation when he is falsely accused cannot be a dispassionate arbiter of disputes involving third parties. 

But we don’t need to guess about how Judge Kavanaugh behaves when he’s actually on the bench. He has a 12-year track record. And here’s what the American Bar Association had to say about him after interviewing more than 100 fellow judges and lawyers who know and have appeared before him: “Lawyers and judges overwhelmingly praised Judge Kavanaugh’s judicial temperament.”

Then there’s the matter of Judge Kavanaugh’s alcohol consumption. Not since Prohibition have so many news outlets reported on drinking habits with such interest. 

Countless articles have been written about how Judge Kavanaugh “lied” about his high-school and college drinking at the hearing, thereby calling into question his honesty. These articles claim the judge portrayed himself as a “choirboy” who, in the words of the New York Times, enjoyed “a beer or two as a high school and college student.” Then they hit back with quotes from college acquaintances who say they saw the judge drink quite a lot.

This is known in the business as a straw man. Judge Kavanaugh never claimed he always drank in moderation. To the contrary, he admitted, “Sometimes I had too many beers.” If Judge Kavanaugh’s opponents want to claim he lied about his drinking when he was younger, perhaps they should stop lying about what he actually said.

A slightly different straw man concerns Judge Kavanaugh’s statements at the hearing that he never blacked out from drinking. The Times and others have gathered testimonials from classmates who say they heard the judge “slur his words” and saw him “staggering” from alcohol consumption, as if this were proof that he blacked out from drinking. But of course Judge Kavanaugh never denied that he slurred his words or staggered. He said he never blacked out. Even a teetotaling Mormon knows the difference.

What’s going on here is obvious. Having failed to bring down Judge Kavanaugh with unsubstantiated allegations of sexual abuse, his opponents are now trying to call into question his character in defending himself from those allegations. It’s the ultimate set-up job. If the initial charges don’t work, we’ll destroy him when he defends himself. The good judge is damned no matter what he does.

This is further evidence that this whole sordid saga was never about the truth. It was never about justice for Ms. Ford. It was always and only about defeating Judge Kavanaugh by any means necessary. If the claims about sexual assault—a serious and important topic that deserves respectful consideration, not this farce—fail to stick, we’ll take him down with straw men about drinking and nitpicking about yearbooks.

The latest claim is that Judge Kavanaugh lied when he testified that he first learned about Deborah Ramirez’s allegations of lewd conduct from “the New Yorker story.” NBC News reports he might have discussed the matter with fellow Yale alumni before the story’s publication. In fact, he testified he’d heard “that she was calling around to classmates trying to see if they remembered” the events she described. The New Yorker quotes him denying the allegations—so it seems a fair conclusion he learned of the precise claim from the New Yorker story as it was being prepared for publication.

He also reportedly threw ice at someone in a bar in 1985. So there’s that.

I for one have had enough of this charade. Judge Kavanaugh is a good man and a good judge who doesn’t deserve this treatment or anything like it. What he does deserve is confirmation.

Mr. Hatch, a Utah Republican, is president pro tempore of the U.S. Senate and a member of the Judiciary Committee.

Read more  

your posts make me sad, because I think you’ve replaced one destructive, soul killing addiction with another.

I strongly suspect that he is impaired, and hope he can get help.  

I really wish Avenatti would have messaged “gang rape” better.  Every Republican can’t stop saying “gang rape” now, which is weird.

why not “group rape” or “rape party” or “multi-male non-consentual sex”

Actually none of those sound good either. 

Nevermind.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Surly libs how do you respond to this:

“Countless articles have been written about how Judge Kavanaugh “lied” about his high-school and college drinking at the hearing, thereby calling into question his honesty. These articles claim the judge portrayed himself as a “choirboy” who, in the words of the New York Times, enjoyed “a beer or two as a high school and college student.” Then they hit back with quotes from college acquaintances who say they saw the judge drink quite a lot.

This is known in the business as a straw man. Judge Kavanaugh never claimed he always drank in moderation. To the contrary, he admitted, “Sometimes I had too many beers.” If Judge Kavanaugh’s opponents want to claim he lied about his drinking when he was younger, perhaps they should stop lying about what he actually said.

A slightly different straw man concerns Judge Kavanaugh’s statements at the hearing that he never blacked out from drinking. The Times and others have gathered testimonials from classmates who say they heard the judge “slur his words” and saw him “staggering” from alcohol consumption, as if this were proof that he blacked out from drinking. But of course Judge Kavanaugh never denied that he slurred his words or staggered. He said he never blacked out. Even a teetotaling Mormon knows the difference.”

I allow you all a chance to respond. He completely eviscerated all of the bullshit moving goalposts garbage that was thrown. Beautiful 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

“Countless articles have been written about how Judge Kavanaugh “lied” about his high-school and college drinking at the hearing, thereby calling into question his honesty. These articles claim the judge portrayed himself as a “choirboy” who, in the words of the New York Times, enjoyed “a beer or two as a high school and college student.” Then they hit back with quotes from college acquaintances who say they saw the judge drink quite a lot.

A slightly different straw man concerns Judge Kavanaugh’s statements at the hearing that he never blacked out from drinking. The Times and others have gathered testimonials from classmates who say they heard the judge “slur his words” and saw him “staggering” from alcohol consumption, as if this were proof that he blacked out from drinking. But of course Judge Kavanaugh never denied that he slurred his words or staggered. He said he never blacked out. Even a teetotaling Mormon knows the difference.”

I allow you all a chance to respond. He completely eviscerated all of the bullshit moving goalposts garbage that was thrown. Beautiful 

That's not what a straw man is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He lied about a lot of shit.  Drinking  was merely one of the many subjects of his lies.  More importantly, he acted like a hyper-partisan, unhinged, hysterical crying little bitch. 

I  don't want a hyper-partisan, unhinged, hysterical crying little bitch on SCOTUS. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 4

The goalposts were never "so long as he isn't actually an attempted rapist, he's a great candidate for the supreme court".  Saying "I'm already against him because of his expansive view of executive power.  more so now because of the way he's being pushed through by a president who could really use a guy like that around.  More so because it seems that there are several people saying he had inappropriate sexual interactions in his past.  More so because he just got in front of the senate and lied about a bunch of different things.  More so because his behavior was not befitting of a judge at any level.  More so because he's a partisan political hack." is not moving the goalposts.  It's describing the field of shit that exists on the wrong side of the goalposts, where Kavanaugh exists.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I agree that attacking the "I never blacked out" claim is a dumb hill to die on, as you can literally never prove it. I've got buddies who are fully functional at night who the next day don't remember shit and I've got buddies who can barely walk who remember everything, everybody is different. 

If you are going to go after Kavanaugh for lying to the Senate, it is much easier to go after the multiple more provable lies. Like the meaning of Devils Triangle and Boofing, which we all know what those mean. And also when he became aware of the Ramirez allegation.

And of course, the biggest lie, that he did not sexually assault Dr. Ford. Which is what this is all about, your strawman articles about strawmen aside.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The guy whose family fled authoritarian rule in the Middle East is cheering for the GOP becoming a nationalist, authoritarian, Christian-sharia-law party.

It's mind boggling if I didn't also know he wears knock off jerseys made in China and tailors them and would crawl through broken glass to suck Tom Herman's dick.

Please read Tucker’s book. Does a great job of talking about how both parties have failed the country. The demographic changes wrought by low-skilled immigrants is something neither party until Trump was willing to address. I’m not a social conservative so don’t want Christian sharia. Read about Cesar Chavez and what he thought about illegals what slur he called them. The GOP has a vitality and grass roots support that’s exciting to see

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Please read Tucker’s book. Does a great job of talking about how both parties have failed the country. The demographic changes wrought by low-skilled immigrants is something neither party until Trump was willing to address. I’m not a social conservative so don’t want Christian sharia. Read about Cesar Chavez and what he thought about illegals what slur he called them. The GOP has a vitality and grass roots support that’s exciting to see

What's wrong with the demographic changes wrought by low-skilled immigrants?

11 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Ford claims that he was intensely drunk.  It raises the possibility that he assaulted her and doesn't remember.

The only way he can refute that inference is either (1) corroborating testimony from some non-drunk person that s/he remembers the incident and it didn't happen, or (2) claim that he never had a memory loss from drinking.  

He can't get (1), so he's gone with (2).

If he's lying about (2) and he has drank to the point of memory loss, then it undermines his entire defense that he didn't assault Ford.  And, moreover, when he lies about that (and other things), he undermines his own credibility in a case in which there are only two witnesses.  In such a case, credibility is the determinative factor, and he has none.

So in short, his drinking habits are highly probative of his character for truthfulness generally and his defense to Ford's allegations, specifically.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Not a big fan of Laissez-fair capitalism I take it? 

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Kennedy's do you believe in God line of questioning to Kav was some eye rolling bullshit.

I thought he was great. Relatable to the common man. You know who also had righteous anger like Kavanaugh. Jesus when he threw the money changers out of the Temple 

• Fuck You 9

I thought he was great. Relatable to the common man. You know who also had righteous anger like Kavanaugh. Jesus when he threw the money changers out of the Temple 

Jesus was also very angry with the wealthy going as far to say that a camel had a better chance of passing through the eye of the needle than a wealthy man does of entering the kingdom of heaven. 

When the right gets angry at the left for vilifying the 1%, keep in mind it was your boy Jesus who was the OG on that topic. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

(((SOROS)))

They are. We need the Koch brothers to get some counterprotestors to help shout them down. Like the protesters that were hired by the GOP in Florida to cause a scene during the Bush-Gore recount in 2000.

• Fuck You 2

You betcha.

The Navy will choose a pilot's life over an F-18, but will choose a nuclear aircraft carrier over a machinist's life. 
We trade money and problems all the time.  We decide how much to spend on safety.
There are many examples of choosing the lesser evil.  Many people resist making these hard decisions.  I find the subject fascinating.

Let me help you.

Military personnel sign up and assume the risk that they may lose their life. Also, I’m not even convinced that some officer would make the choice to save $ over a person, but keep doing you I guess.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What's wrong with the demographic changes wrought by low-skilled immigrants?

Let’s see:

1. Wage stagnation for low skilled native born population.

2. Strain on educational, health, transportation and other public services.

3. Environmental degradation.

worrying about the needs of the poor used to be kind of a liberal deal.

They are. We need the Koch brothers to get some counterprotestors to help shout them down. Like the protesters that were hired by the GOP in Florida to cause a scene during the Bush-Gore recount in 2000.

The Brooks Brothers riot was hilarious.

Matt Schlapp is terrifying.

19-brooks-brothers-riot.w700.h700.jpg

• Like 1

Let’s see:

1. Wage stagnation for low skilled native born population.

2. Strain on educational, health, transportation and other public services.

3. Environmental degradation.

worrying about the needs of the poor used to be kind of a liberal deal.

Are you saying the greatest and richest nation in the history of ever can't handle its shit?

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Ford claims that he was intensely drunk.  It raises the possibility that he assaulted her and doesn't remember.

The only way he can refute that inference is either (1) corroborating testimony from some non-drunk person that s/he remembers the incident and it didn't happen, or (2) claim that he never had a memory loss from drinking.  

He can't get (1), so he's gone with (2).

If he's lying about (2) and he has drank to the point of memory loss, then it undermines his entire defense that he didn't assault Ford.  And, moreover, when he lies about that (and other things), he undermines his own credibility in a case in which there are only two witnesses.  In such a case, credibility is the determinative factor, and he has none.

So in short, his drinking habits are highly probative of his character for truthfulness generally and his defense to Ford's allegations, specifically.

Ford claims he was very drunk. She has provided zero evidence other than her testimony. 

Kavanaugh claims he was not drunk. He has provided zero evidence other than his testimony. 

Witnesses have come to support both sides with testimonials. 

How does anyone prove another person blacked out? Does slurring words equal a blackout? Does falling down equal a blackout? 

Just now, David Dennison said:

Are you saying the greatest and richest nation in the history of ever can't handle its shit?

I’m saying that the American people never voted or passed a referendum agreeing to a massive increase in the foreign born population with the resultant ethnic, economic  and linguistic changes that it has wrought. Look what’s happening in Germany and Sweden and the discomfort brought by massive Muslim migration. Let me fill you in on something, all of this shit has helped strain all of these societies. 

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m saying that the American people never voted or passed a referendum agreeing to a massive increase in the foreign born population with the resultant ethnic, economic  and linguistic changes that it has wrought. Look what’s happening in Germany and Sweden and the discomfort brought by massive Muslim migration. Let me fill you in on something, all of this shit has helped strain all of these societies. 

What's wrong with the ethnic, economic, and linguistic changes?