O Captains! My Captains!

Bruh Man

I like some of you were surprised by our captain choices this year. I don't think any of these guys would have started on the teams 10-15 years ago (says a lot about the direction of the program). Hell I don't think any of our top 22 would start on our '05 team but at the very least I think these five guys should be top performers for your team.. Anyways, I figured I'd make a thread chronicling their performances this season. 

Game 1 (Maryland)

Breckyn Hager: 2 total tackles (1 solo), 1 pass breakup, 1 TFL

Chris Nelson: 5 total tackles (3 solo), stuffed the 4th down play.

Anthony Wheeler: 6 total tackles (3 solo) 

Elijah Rodriguez: I'm pretty sure he played all snaps and I didn't see any breakdowns from him, nice block sprung Ingram's 20 yd run in the 2nd q.

Andrew Beck: 1 rec. 15 yds

Thoughts: Hager has to play better. I don't know if he was injured or what, but for a guy that gets as much hype as he gets around here, he shouldn't be recording his first tackle 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter. I thought Wheeler looked a little slow but played ok. Better than Roach, not as good as McCulloch. Rodriguez had no breakdowns. He played better than I expected. I didn't pay attention to Beck's blocking. I thought he'd be more of a factor in the passing game. 

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Hager left the game with a cramp before half. There is no one on this team that would make the two deep of the 05 squad.

Maybe LJH, Gary Johnson, and Brandon Jones. Our entire current dline and oline would be glued to the bench on that team. That's an incredibly depressing fact. 

43 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think Cosmi will eventually be at that level.  He looked good to me.  Much better than Kerstetter.   I’d like to see us give Kerstetter a try at center because Shack get blown up too much.  

Hopefully Cosmi gains more strength in the offseason and Kert trains the entire offseason at center.

We was a facing a 3 man front. Cosmi and Rodriguez was double teaming the defender and he beats both of them out and nearly gets to Sam. Beck gets jammed so hard at the line by the defender that he almost falls down. Shack was getting humiliated and should give Vahe a bj for helping him out so much.

There's alot of pussy on our line and I am afraid it's only going to get uglier when facing better teams. Buckle up ya chin straps boys..i think it's going be a long, hard ride.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

We was a facing a 3 man front. Cosmi and Rodriguez was double teaming the defender and he beats both of them out and nearly gets to Sam. Beck gets jammed so hard at the line by the defender that he almost falls down. Shack was getting humiliated and should give Vahe a bj for helping him out so much.

There's alot of pussy on our line and I am afraid it's only going to get uglier when facing better teams. Buckle up ya chin straps boys..i think it's going be a long, hard ride.

Shack is the worst 3 year starter OL I can remember.  Has he improved at all since arriving on campus?

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Regarding Hager cramping, I was disappointed in our conditioning.  I expected us to come out and wear them out in the second half, maybe the weather delay killed any chances of that.

Apparently the Maryland coaches were pushing their players to the brink during the offseason so I'm not surprised we didn't have much of an advantage in that department.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Regarding Hager cramping, I was disappointed in our conditioning.  I expected us to come out and wear them out in the second half, maybe the weather delay killed any chances of that.

Quite a few people in various game threads seemed to think we were poised to outlast Maryland but for the rain delay.  I had not really noticed before that but seemed to agree.  That's one of those things I think that's subject to suggestion, though.

many of the plays MD busted for big gains were run specifically at Hager... well, in the large voids he left from the head-down crazed mad-dog, no contain, style he played. 

It was exceptional game-planning by the MD head coach fill-in... at times, it seemed as if he knew and understood our personnel's tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses better than MENSA and his staff.

• Like 1

Just to check, are you under the impression that the coaches picked the captains? 

I’m sure that he means Sam is the coachs favorite. And he stuck dick in the dog.
many of the plays MD busted for big gains were run specifically at Hager... well, in the large voids he left from the head-down crazed mad-dog, no contain, style he played. 
It was exceptional game-planning by the MD head coach fill-in... at times, it seemed as if he knew and understood our personnel's tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses better than MENSA and his staff.

That was the part that was frustrating to watch. I’d bet we all knew it was coming though. I thought it would be addressed after the half though.

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

The reason the weather delay killed us is that it created an extra 1 Hour 45 Minutes that our players had to spend with our coaches.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I like some of you were surprised by our captain choices this year. I don't think any of these guys would have started on the teams 10-15 years ago (says a lot about the direction of the program). Hell I don't think any of our top 22 would start on our '05 team but at the very least I think these five guys should be top performers for your team.. Anyways, I figured I'd make a thread chronicling their performances this season. 

Game 1 (Maryland)

Breckyn Hager: 2 total tackles (1 solo), 1 pass breakup, 1 TFL

Chris Nelson: 5 total tackles (3 solo), stuffed the 4th down play.

Anthony Wheeler: 6 total tackles (3 solo) 

Elijah Rodriguez: I'm pretty sure he played all snaps and I didn't see any breakdowns from him, nice block sprung Ingram's 20 yd run in the 2nd q.

Andrew Beck: 1 rec. 15 yds

Thoughts: Hager has to play better. I don't know if he was injured or what, but for a guy that gets as much hype as he gets around here, he shouldn't be recording his first tackle 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter. I thought Wheeler looked a little slow but played ok. Better than Roach, not as good as McCulloch. Rodriguez had no breakdowns. He played better than I expected. I didn't pay attention to Beck's blocking. I thought he'd be more of a factor in the passing game. 

Roach should be in Hager's spot

2 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

Errrr..listening to TH explain the process, there's no telling.

Exactly.

It's not unheard of to hold private votes and then have the coaches choose whomever they want, claim it was the result of votes.

58 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Hager is not playing the DE position in a fundamental way.  He is trying to make the big play too much.  Cutting in or up and giving up the edge to a run or scramble.  Those jet sweeps should've been blown up by him.

Attitude reflect leadership....captain.

54 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

True. I think he read the hype about himself.

Brian Robison was 5x the player without a peep of hype. He was probably the 5th or 6th most discussed/hyped player on that defense.

Getting sick of average players that wouldn't get any PT ten years ago being treated like gods around here. The poster boys for that are Hager and Omenihu. 

Edited by Bruh Man