do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah I’ve gotten through the first three seasons and then fell off a bit. I caught a few random episodes here and there as well, but definitely need to do a full run through. 

Yeah I can understand that, it's a much slower show, no laugh tracks, and lots of conversations to follow, lots of characters rotating in and out. I know when I started watching it in college Season 4 was new on TV (the one about The Producers musical, which is still hilarious).  I really enjoyed it, but my roommate thought it was boring. About a decade later he ended up watching CYE again and loved it. 

One thing I found really amusing about CYE is that every time someone in the show brings up the Seinfeld finale as being bad Larry always defends it and says emphatically "There was nothing wrong with it!!" He gets super annoyed by people talking shit about it or saying they should have done something else. Pretty much any time someone criticizes a Seinfeld character or anything about the show he defends it. 

• Like 1

^this.

I love in the earlier seasons, before the wink-wink Seinfeld finale re-do...the people Larry would get most pissed at were other people involved with Seinfeld (Jason, Julia, et. al.).  He'd get super pissy, like genuinely upset with them.  

I get that it's an acquired taste, it's more of a challenge than 'Seinfeld' to enjoy, and that was a very smart show.  But I've said this before and I'll say it again in honor of you drunks waking up right now in the French Quarter, Larry David's mastery of the storytelling technique of denouement on CYE is an absolute master-class.  It will be studied in RTF programs for decades.  It's really the only part of the show that's scripted as well, but you wouldn't know the level of improv because it seems to effortless.  

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Larry David calls somebody up to be on the show.  Because literally half the guests play themselves and the other half play a fictional character in Larry's madeup world.  Which isn't really that made up.  But to hear the famous actor/actress say, "Well, I mean.  Do I get to play myself or one of your ridiculous foils?"  And Larry just fuming in real life, "Would you shut the fuck up already?  Nobody cares about your real life.  I need to play this asshole at our country club, okay?  Is either version of you available in April to film or what?  I gotta lot of other shit to do."  

• Hook 'Em 1

Been rewatching Seinfeld recently and I'm in the beginning of Season 4. Episodes 3 is when Jerry and George pitch the "show about nothing" idea to NBC execs, and I forgot that's where George met Susan. This is also the episode where Jerry answers the phone from the Telemarketer and asks for his home phone number to call him back in this exchange: 

Telemarketer: Hi, would you be interested in switching over to TMI long-distance service?
Jerry: Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number, and I'll call you later?
Telemarketer: Uh, well I'm sorry, we're not allowed to do that.
Jerry: Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you at home.
Telemarketer: No.
Jerry: Well, now you know how I feel. [Jerry hangs up phone]

Because of this scene, New Jersey just enacted the "Seinfeld Law" which now requires telemarketers to disclose their contact information and more within 30 seconds. It only took 30 years, but I guess better late than never. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nj-seinfeld-bill-becomes-law-what-it-means-for-telemarketing-calls/4337945/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, I totally spaced out on that scene with the telemarketer.  I need to do that on my next "Scam Likely" call, which I should get 9 more of today.  I typically revert to the Jerky Boys, "You sound good.  You and me, we make a team.  I drive with you!"  /brettweir 

Speaking of overseas calls, I love the chinese bald cream scene when the delivery guy comes to the door and George hands him on the phone, "Excuse me, I'm on with Beijing..." And just assumes the kid speaks Mandarin.  And then the dude just flops on the sofa and starts gossiping with the operator.  "Excuse me.  Yeah, kind of an expensive call..."  

So many great payphone scenes in Seinfeld as well.  Another string of humor that'll be lost on future generations of Seinfeld watchers.  My wife and I still use, "thank you for calling moviefone.  You've selected 'Agent Zero'!""  

23 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

What's a TV show without a story? It's just masturbation!

[Uncomfortable facial reactions]

Dalrymple is one of my favorite character arcs. From how much he hates George from the beginning and then when George comes to his apartment to grovel for the show all the way to his obsession with Elaine and ultimate death on the high seas. 

Goodbye matey!

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Ya know what? They got the hot fudge on the bottom.... that allows you to control the fudge distribution while you're eating your ice cream!

Who knew a man could know so much about nothing?

More everything!

(I use that one a lot in daily life)

csb/ My wife used that in Spanish on our flight to our honeymoon destination.  It's when I knew she was the one.  Of course, there was a serial killer in the lavatory, but life is a series of trade-offs.  

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Whether the actual venue or a set prop, name the baseball stadiums shown in the Seinfeld/CYE universe.

I'll start with the easy ones-Yankee Stadium & Shea Stadium.  But there are others...

Central Park Softball Field

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Whether the actual venue or a set prop, name the baseball stadiums shown in the Seinfeld/CYE universe.

I'll start with the easy ones-Yankee Stadium & Shea Stadium.  But there are others...

There are no others in Seinfeld. I know Larry went to Chavez Ravine with that hooker in Curb. That’s all I got. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Did Dodgers Stadium show up when they went looking for Kramer? I don't think the Astrodome was ever shown when George was visiting those sons of bitches in Houston. Those are the only times I remember anyone going to a city outside of NYC that would have a major league team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Did Dodgers Stadium show up when they went looking for Kramer? I don't think the Astrodome was ever shown when George was visiting those sons of bitches in Houston. Those are the only times I remember anyone going to a city outside of NYC that would have a major league team. 

George never went to Houston, they came to him and then flew back. 

You tell that son of a bitch that no Yankee is ever coming to Houston!  Not as long as you bastards are running things!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

George never went to Houston, they came to him and then flew back. 

You tell that son of a bitch that no Yankee is ever coming to Houston!  Not as long as you bastards are running things!

Yep, as soon as I hit the submit button, I remembered that. I figured one of you bastards would correct me.

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

As I said, the trivia bit includes scenes in which the actors were not actually in the venue per say, but it was implied they were at the Super Bowl.  What is this, amateur hour?  

Dammit.  I really thought I was about to burn you.  But you are correct.

The super bowl Jerry and Newman went to was the 75th Anniversary of the NFL season, as seen on Newman's hat.  It was, in fact, played in Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami in 1995 (1994 season) and the Marlins inaugural season was 1993.  So well done.

Well done.  I may not have your knack for addresses and phone numbers on the show, but I know a multi-purpose sports stadium when I see one.  Marlins had just launched.  And where did Jerry likely stay that night?  You guessed it, nearby Del Boca Vista.  And with whom did Newman stay with?  You guessed it...Uncle Leo Stallone.  

I'd like to think the breadth of acting range Bryan Cranston displayed in the episode is what inspired Vince Gilligan to launch the entire Breaking Bad/El Camino/Better Call Saul universe.  All because...it was right downtown!