do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

On 1/24/2024 at 7:59 AM, YGIFS said:

Polling derail:

Best Kramer picket:

-Kenny Roger's Roasters?

-The United States Postal Service? 

-H&H Bagels? 

I will also entertain any write-in suggestions...

I have to go with "no bagel, no bagel, no bagel, no bagel."  Such a simple, clear message.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ok, get out of town.  Season 7, Episode 14 is phenomenal.

Jerry buys his parents a Cadillac and all the shenanigans that ensue in Mar Gables, Phase 2 (?) - The Early Bird - Look who's eating at 6 o'clock!

George's obsession with Marisa Tomei and his ACTUALLY MEETING UP WITH HER

The entire lie set up with him and Elaine which sets up one of the most well known jokes in the series (importer/exporter)

Kramer and the Plaza Cable guy and their entire pursuit. 

Just amazing.  

• Like 3

The Big Salad lady that George was seeing is Marita Geraghty, she appeared in Season 6 ep 2. You may also know her from playing Nancy on Groundhog's Day, you know the girl who makes noises like a chipmunk when she gets excited!  Happy February 2nd to those of you who celebrate.

image.png.4052360e1f8554dc38781e2f5915d6b8.png

image.png.bf1c6e0ba704c838490e44455981f812.png

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Big Salad lady that George was seeing is Marita Geraghty, she appeared in Season 6 ep 2. You may also know her from playing Nancy on Groundhog's Day, you know the girl who makes noises like a chipmunk when she gets excited!  Happy February 2nd to those of you who celebrate.

image.png.4052360e1f8554dc38781e2f5915d6b8.png

image.png.bf1c6e0ba704c838490e44455981f812.png

that’s not the big salad lady.  I think she was the one jerry was dating who was dumped by newman. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, futureman said:

that’s not the big salad lady.  I think she was the one jerry was dating who was dumped by newman. 

Well to be fair, she wasn't his type.  Wasn't pretty enough.  He needs a truly beautiful woman.  

There's a bunch of these that don't affect my love for the show, but I was watching some clips the other day, and George had at least two easy outs from his engagement.

First, when he met Marisa Tomei, Susan figured out that he and Elaine were lying and punches him, but I don't recall any followup. Even if she didn't believe it was Marisa Tomei, he was caught lying to meet with another woman, wouldn't that be enough? George's honesty about being engaged is also odd for a guy whose entire character is built on being a liar. ("It's not a lie if you believe it.")

Second is when he was caught paying the prostitute for information at the Jiffy Park. Susan has a whole conversation about trust, and George encourages her to think it over, but isn't as aggressive as a compulsive liar would be if he really wanted her to break off the engagement. Hell, he could have run with the idea of him being a john and she'd probably break it off. I'm sure there are others, just two that came to mind recently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

There's a bunch of these that don't affect my love for the show, but I was watching some clips the other day, and George had at least two easy outs from his engagement.

First, when he met Marisa Tomei, Susan figured out that he and Elaine were lying and punches him, but I don't recall any followup. Even if she didn't believe it was Marisa Tomei, he was caught lying to meet with another woman, wouldn't that be enough? George's honesty about being engaged is also odd for a guy whose entire character is built on being a liar. ("It's not a lie if you believe it.")

Second is when he was caught paying the prostitute for information at the Jiffy Park. Susan has a whole conversation about trust, and George encourages her to think it over, but isn't as aggressive as a compulsive liar would be if he really wanted her to break off the engagement. Hell, he could have run with the idea of him being a john and she'd probably break it off. I'm sure there are others, just two that came to mind recently. 

The DOUBT must be dealt with!

Fair points but the idea was to keep their storyline going for another season or two as George approached an actual adult choice, marriage. He was supposed to have many outs but keep plowing ahead.  But as we all now know, she was apparently an even bigger cunt IRL so they just had her murdered off the show and it was to single-world/non-colliding George undivided against himself 

5 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

One of my favorite off-hand lines in the whole series.

George: Yes, she’s pretty. What difference does it make?

Estelle: Okay, I was just curious.

Frank(essentially eavesdropping): She’s not pretty?!

S: I just want you to know that I love your son very much.

E: You do?

S: Yes

E: Really?

S: Yes

E: May I ask why?

In the Soup Nazi episode, Jerry is dating Sheila, who he annoyingly refers to as "Schmoopie" and chose soup over her. She only appeared in that episode, but she also played Alice on Office Space (Peter's girlfriend that forces him to see the hypnotherapist), and she was on In Living Color for a few years. Not a ton of acting credits to her name, but she has been married to George Stephanopoulos for over 20 years now. 

image.png.8be764ffa6478c7f64ad113603eec0d4.png

image.png.4339714549cfb2f096aa65649ac8b47b.png

Ok, total mindblow. Much like Death Blow, but different. 

When J Peterman bailed out for Burma (you most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me), he was 43 years old. 

He turns 70 this October.  That man has been gray since just exiting the womb. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here’s one I never understood. In season 8, Ep 2 when Elaine meets Kevin (bizarro Jerry), she cuts her hair at the end of the episode. It’s different, but still short in the next episode. Then it magically grows back in the Little Kicks. 

Was there a big lapse in filming in season 8?  Writers strike or something?

On 2/14/2024 at 10:31 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Ok, total mindblow. Much like Death Blow, but different. 

When J Peterman bailed out for Burma (you most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me), he was 43 years old. 

He turns 70 this October.  That man has been gray since just exiting the womb. 

I'm guessing they overdid his hair and makeup to age him a bit because his whole schtick was that he lives all these adventures and then settled down to publish the catalogue.  Why indeed?  Or perhaps the Burmese melons kept him youthful.  Dunno.  But as much as people talk about the "Seinfeld Curse", it's not really true.  Julia obviously went on rock two massive shows, Veep being probably one of the best 5 best episodic comedies in American history.  Michael's another story.  Jason went to his own stuff.  Neither hurts for money, but yeah probably have some creative frustration.  Jerry just got back to doing what he loves, touring.  But there's been some secondary characters on the show that have gone to do great things in their own right.  But think about John O'Hurley.  Was supposed to be a half-season arc at a new job for Elaine.  He fucking kills it.  Obviously had talent beforehand but expands the role in multiple seasons.  Goes on to star in broadway productions, numerous successful TV shows, wins 'Dancing with the Stars', hosts 3 gameshows, records two albums on piano, and oh yeah-as we've discussed-sits on the fucking real life board of the J. Peterman corporation despite making the whole thing look like a fucking urban sombrero shitshow.  Absolutely amazing run because he wanted to buy some shitty stories from Kramer for $1500.  His real life ended up becoming worth 1000x that.  Perfect irony.  

If he's not proof we live inside a computer, you're all fucking insane.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Here’s one I never understood. In season 8, Ep 2 when Elaine meets Kevin (bizarro Jerry), she cuts her hair at the end of the episode. It’s different, but still short in the next episode. Then it magically grows back in the Little Kicks. 

Was there a big lapse in filming in season 8?  Writers strike or something?

Kudos on picking up the weirdest fucking details, you dumb bustard 30,000 feet above my head.  I have noticed that before but now you gave an olive project for the weekend.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't actually watched all the way through Seinfeld before. I tried getting into in college back in 2006, when I was really enjoying Curb, and I don't know how far I got, but probably fizzled out around season 5. I know there is one episode involving the Puerto Rican flag that I never saw because I was in Alabama at Space Camp when it aired. It was somehow offensive to people and wasn't re-run on TV again. No other way to watch the shows back then, so I never actually saw it, but I'm excited to see something new. I recently watched through all of Curb in prep for season 12's launch, and I noticed there are several re-used storylines from Seinfeld that appeared in Curb.

- Elaine complains about someone who takes a sip of their drink and always says vocally "tssss AHHHHHH." That was used in an episode of Curb where Suzie started doing that, but Larry had to tell her to stop it. 

- The Car Periscope idea was mentioned in Seinfeld by Kramer as a great idea. Larry invests in one as a concept from a guy who has a homely looking wife, which Larry and Jeff thinks makes him trustworthy. 

- The ladies frames on George, same sort of thing happened to Larry on the season 12 opener. 

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but those ones stood out to me. A lot of phrases are re-used, but they work with the Curb stories, and are more like easter eggs to be noticed than something shoe-horned in somewhere they don't belong. 

Anyways, I'm at the beginning of Season 8 now, and just watched the Bizarro Jerry episode, which was great stuff.  

"Feldman and I gotta get down to the library." - nice guy from White Collar
"Why?"
"To read."

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 2