Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

She started crying before that though, there was an objection to a question, before that she seemed fine, after the objection discussion which wasn't picked up on audio, she was in tears, then it went full on blubbering when she had to stand up and put on the equipment.

I suspect that having that sidebar where she was just sitting there, and not having to focus on answering questions, went a long way to provoking that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

probably excluded because she is not an expert

nor would she be good at explaining it like that

they'll get it in thru Dr. Green and Ranger Armstrong

Yeah, the audible objection seemed a little off.  It was "her general reactions not relevant, only that on 9/6."  

If she actually said "let me see your hands, let me see your hands"  that means she made a calculated decision after having a few seconds to realize her mistake.  If she didn't (which I think is more likely) then she would have to admit to shooting in a panic without following procedure.   Regardless, with testimony that she shouted to let me see your hands while also stating he was walking "slowly" toward and not at a fast rate of speed, a reasonable trained LEO wouldn't start blasting.   If I'm on the jury not reasonable without even seeing cross.

• Like 2

The cop standard doesn't apply to regular people, and when she is acquitted it will show that the cop standard applies to cops when both on duty and off duty. 

They have been trained to shoot at the first sign of fear. 

In a way, I wish this trial had become a referendum on the police department hiring and training and overall shoot first and circle the wagons mentality. 

This is a really, really tough case. Did she intend to murder Bothan Jean? I don't believe so. But her incompetence or blatant stupidity led directly to a man's death. You cannot let a precedent be set where a cop is let off without punishment for shooting an innocent person dead in his own home when they weren't SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I didn't realize the narrative was that she was on alert before the door opened.  To me that makes her actions after that point swing way to the unreasonable side versus the door opening and the first indication of an intruder was seeing the intruder.

Yeah, I didn't fully appreciate that either.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

This is a really, really tough case. Did she intend to murder Bothan Jean? I don't believe so. But her incompetence or blatant stupidity led directly to a man's death. You cannot let a precedent be set where a cop is let off without punishment for shooting an innocent person dead in his own home when they weren't SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!

She didn't intend to murder an innocent man, but she definitely intended to murder the man that was in front of her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I didn't realize the narrative was that she was on alert before the door opened.  To me that makes her actions after that point swing way to the unreasonable side versus the door opening and the first indication of an intruder was seeing the intruder.

Agreed.  Not to mention it absolutely raises that by seeing a crack and hearing noises another reasonable reaction if she was "scared for her life" would be to back out (or not open the door at all).   Which would obviously have prevented this tragedy.    I absolutely think she's genuinely remorseful and I don't think she should get 20+ years or anything but she needs to do some time.  It was a mistake but not a reasonable one.

• Like 1

She just testified that being alone with the guy she shot is the most terrifying thing you can imagine. Um, I can imagine it's less terrifying than someone coming in your front door screaming and shooting while you are sitting on your couch eating some ice cream and watching football.

Defense is now violating the motion in limine, courts love that!!

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

She didn't intend to murder an innocent man, but she definitely intended to murder the man that was in front of her.

Maybe and that's really the question the jury will have to answer. But it's just extremely poor training -- or sheer incompetence -- that she goes for her service weapon in this situation. If you're out in the wild, in unfamiliar places, I understand (maybe). But at home? In seemingly your own apartment? No. Don't buy it. I might not be willing to send in a conviction of murder in this case but she definitely needs to have punishment other than what a civil court will award. Fuck any special treatment because Guyger is a cop. That's offensive.