Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

1 minute ago, RPM said:

The tide, as they say, has turned. She's not walking.

To an extent, a jury isn't going to want to second guess her.  Prosecutor is walking a fine line.  Glad he let up a little.

Juries seem to innately understand hindsight bias and to avoid it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I think the prosecutor's tone has been about right, given the inconsistencies of the story. It is a fine line, you don't want to make them overcome with sympathy, but I think he's been pretty good thus far.

As to the hindsight bias, I think it's one thing to say "oh in retrospect you could have done something else" vs. "if you had just done the specific things that you have been trained on over and over" 

Edited by TXSooner518

44 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i think her noticing things were off before opening the door was a massive defense error. i get the strategy - making her so fearful that she had to shoot this man, but i think that's not going to work at all.

if i come home and find my door cracked, i'm probably not going straight in there. as a cop, i have to think she isn't trained to go straight in guns ablazing. 

i think this renders her actions as extremely unreasonable, and renders the issue over whether or not she thought it was her apartment moot. she knew something was up outside of the door, that's when you start honing in on your surroundings, looking for signs of entry, etc. that's when you notice the doormat and the room number, imo.

i think the defense fucked her.

I haven't been following as closely but has anyone mentioned she lives in an apartment complex with maintenance people that can come in to your place at any time. Wouldn't she at least have questioned if maybe maintenance had to get in to fix something? And I totally agree that if you notice the door is cracked open, your first instinct is to start examining everything.

Either her defense counsel is terrible at this, or their case is so bad that the only hope was for the prosecutor to suck at cross. The prosecutor does NOT suck at cross. But even if they had no choice other than to put her on the stand, I can't fathom why she's the first called witness. Get some LEOs or experts in there to talk about stress, tunnel vision, training, etc to prime the jury for her a bit.

• Like 1

Just now, sachick said:

I haven't been following as closely but has anyone mentioned she lives in an apartment complex with maintenance people that can come in to your place at any time. Wouldn't she at least have questioned if maybe maintenance had to get in to fix something? And I totally agree that if you notice the door is cracked open, your first instinct is to start examining everything.

Ha yeah, just literally came up. They had sent an email out that maintenance would be occurring "all day" that week.

Goddammit, no MLK day parade testimony coming in. Can't do NUTTING!

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Either her defense counsel is terrible at this, or their case is so bad that the only hope was for the prosecutor to suck at cross. The prosecutor does NOT suck at cross. But even if they had no choice other than to put her on the stand, I can't fathom why she's the first called witness. Get some LEOs or experts in there to talk about stress, tunnel vision, training, etc to prime the jury for her a bit.

To be fair, the defense has put on only one witness.  They may think that recency of the experts is important.  It's going to be hours for the jury to forget about this bloodbath.

Rip off the bandaid, medicine later.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

They should have never put her on the stand. Turrible idea.

No, there is almost no choice in a case like this.

The turrible idea was letting her go up there this unprepared. She's not confident in her answers and she's lost control of her narrative. It's like she's never been cross-examined before.

1 minute ago, Zombie said:

she seems like a fucking idiot. How did she ever become a police officer? Never mind. I've met a few of these morons. 

Other than the victim, it sure seems like the loser in this case is DPD.  If this is what your "top notch LEO training" produces, we might be better off handing out badges and guns to people at random.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Other than the victim, it sure seems like the loser in this case is DPD.  If this is what your "top notch LEO training" produces, we might be better off handing out badges and guns to people at random.

1 minute ago, Zombie said:

What's the defense here? You should be allowed to be an incredibly stupid moron and shoot an innocent person because you're a moron and not face punishment?

Yeah, Gross Incompetence is a really bad strategy both as a department, and as a witness in your own murder trial.  What a shitshow