Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

5 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Why did they elicit testimony that she wants to be a cop to help people, that opens the door to evidence from the state that she does in fact NOT want to help people, by not helping Mr. Jean.

I don't know.  I mean if this is accurately describing what happened in the courtroom, I think she already explained why she didn't help Mr. Jean:

12 hours ago, RPM said:

You intended to kill him.

I did.

the prosecutor hammered her on special training and aptitude for situational awareness and observation.

Missed the fern, red carpet, apt number, floor number, blood, etc.

Hammered her on intent, she intended to kill him.

Hammered her on de-escalation training, opportunity to retreat and delay, and a later police officer witness said he would have retreated.

The closing argument will be good.

51 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

the prosecutor hammered her on special training and aptitude for situational awareness and observation.

Hammered her on de-escalation training, opportunity to retreat and delay, and a later police officer witness said he would have retreated.

All of that and the cynic in me still thinks she skates for two well documented reasons.  

So I’m on board with protesting if she walks but what is everyone’s opinion on that? I’ve marched for the dream act and other causes but if she walks it could get bad and I won’t have an ounce of sympathy for the city but I’m curious for other that didn’t grow up like me what would you do? Maybe it’s meant for another thread but I’m pissed off at the thought of her skating

Edit: in drunk but really curious

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

The prosecutor has to hammer the fact that there was no element of surprise. She noticed the door was open, that there was movement inside, and she chose to confront the "intruder" without confirming she was in the right place. Her claim that she found herself in extraordinary circumstances, fearing for her life and forced to make a split second decision is laughable.

Ok, I’m on board now with Occam’s razor. She really is stupid enough, with D on the mind, to enter the wrong apartment. It’s clear now the Facebook memes she was posting is why this happened. Of all the options when she heard someone in “her” apartment (first and foremost looking around to make sure you’re on the right floor) she got pissed that someone was messing with her shit and “was already wearing black to his funeral.” She was just itching to shoot someone and I guarantee she had the castle doctrine on her mind, in addition to having a badge and authoritah. Bitch needs to go away for a long, long time.

But I still think she walks. All it takes is one asshole on that jury to “back the blue.” The Texas fucking Ranger thinks she’s innocent. Thank goodness the jury didn’t hear that part. Just one asshole to say “I’d do the same thing” or “but he was a thug pothead.” She did so poorly I can see a conviction, but one asshole out of 12 people is all it takes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Ok, I’m on board now with Occam’s razor. She really is stupid enough, with D on the mind, to enter the wrong apartment. It’s clear now the Facebook memes she was posting is why this happened. Of all the options when she heard someone in “her” apartment (first and foremost looking around to make sure you’re on the right floor) she got pissed that someone was messing with her shit and “was already wearing black to his funeral.” She was just itching to shoot someone and I guarantee she had the castle doctrine on her mind, in addition to having a badge and authoritah. Bitch needs to go away for a long, long time.

But I still think she walks. All it takes is one asshole on that jury to “back the blue.” The Texas fucking Ranger thinks she’s innocent. Thank goodness the jury didn’t hear that part. Just one asshole to say “I’d do the same thing” or “but he was a thug pothead.” She did so poorly I can see a conviction, but one asshole out of 12 people is all it takes.

I don't know the lady but I suspect that after the end of a shift on her job, she hates people in general. Which I guess is understandable. She deals with shitty people with attitude probably most days. I think she'd been doing fugitive round ups so good chance the folks she came into contact with really were scumbags.

So she goes to *her* home, HER "safe space" and finds one of these assholes invading her life outside of work. So she goes in John Wayne style. Which all goes back to a mentality of "us versus them" that I suspect is pervasive. I think she needs to chill for a long time with the sweaty ladies on cell block D. Personally I think this jury may convict her but the appeals will never end and she will at some point in the distant future be exonerated/found not guilty. Just my quick thoughts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I don't know the lady but I suspect that after the end of a shift on her job, she hates people in general. Which I guess is understandable. She deals with shitty people with attitude probably most days. I think she'd been doing fugitive round ups so good chance the folks she came into contact with really were scumbags.

So she goes to *her* home, HER "safe space" and finds one of these assholes invading her life outside of work. So she goes in John Wayne style. Which all goes back to a mentality of "us versus them" that I suspect is pervasive. I think she needs to chill for a long time with the sweaty ladies on cell block D. Personally I think this jury may convict her but the appeals will never end and she will at some point in the distant future be exonerated/found not guilty. Just my quick thoughts.

That’s actually a really good point...I did tech support for five years at two companies, and I still hate talking on the phone or helping people with tech problems.  It really drags on you constantly being the problem solver for people who are problematic   

Theres absolutely no excuse for her behavior, and adults are supposed to be able to keep ‘bad days’ from becoming murder.  

7 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

So I’m on board with protesting if she walks but what is everyone’s opinion on that? I’ve marched for the dream act and other causes but if she walks it could get bad and I won’t have an ounce of sympathy for the city but I’m curious for other that didn’t grow up like me what would you do? Maybe it’s meant for another thread but I’m pissed off at the thought of her skating

Edit: in drunk but really curious

I think it reflects a certain form of stupidity to protest a single verdict.  Regardless of the colors or identities of the parties, this was going to be a close case either way.

The criminal justice system is fucked up, but most of the time, protesting individual verdicts is stupid.  The fucked up part happens where no one can see.

Protesting a guilty verdict in the OJ trial would have been stupid as would whiteys protesting the acquittal.

Protest the system, not this individual verdict.  Protest individual actions like refusing to bring charges, or bringing charges, etc.

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Now I know why my FIL does so much expert witnessing in his semi-retirement.  He's actually incredibly competent in his field (synthetic organic chemistry), but still, my point stands.

In science-y cases, like patent cases, there's little junk science being floated.  Tends to be legitimate differences of professional opinion, and experts have a big role in trying to explain stuff to jurors, judges, and the lawyers.  That can be a good gig.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it reflects a certain form of stupidity to protest a single verdict.  Regardless of the colors or identities of the parties, this was going to be a close case either way.

The criminal justice system is fucked up, but most of the time, protesting individual verdicts is stupid.  The fucked up part happens where no one can see.

Protesting a guilty verdict in the OJ trial would have been stupid as would whiteys protesting the acquittal.

Protest the system, not this individual verdict.  Protest individual actions like refusing to bring charges, or bringing charges, etc.

Most of the time I agree with your takes but you’re wrong here.  Protesting these high profile cases’s is how change gets started. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How so?  Elaborate?  4th seemed to indicate they would have had an easier time getting qualified before her testimony?

I have no opinion either way at this point but it seems like having those guys up first would have opened up Guyger to more lines of questions that were not available to the DA when they did cross, no?

3 minutes ago, SDG said:

Most of the time I agree with your takes but you’re wrong here.  Protesting these high profile cases’s is how change gets started. 

Meh, I think it's the ones with obvious errors and prejudices in them.  As in, had Dallas County failed to indict.

Ferguson was legit, for example.  Most of the non-indictment cases are legit.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Meh, I think it's the ones with obvious errors and prejudices in them.  As in, had Dallas County failed to indict.

Ferguson was legit, for example.  Most of the non-indictment cases are legit.

There were plenty of missteps in this one that should be addressed. For example; she was allowed to leave to gather her thoughts.  We need legitimate crim j changes in this country so if people like Zep want to protest I’m for it.   

47 minutes ago, SDG said:

Co-signed.  This is a spark that ignites the greater rage which leads to reform.  Same thing could happen in Houston if Goines somehow escaped prosecution.

How so?  Elaborate?  4th seemed to indicate they would have had an easier time getting qualified before her testimony?

Yeah I think much easier to get their opinion testimony in about effects of stress on a person if Guyger hasn’t testified bc then she might not testify so the way to introduce those items is through expert testimony.

Instead now she’s already said exactly what she experienced and felt so why is it relevant what other people might experience and feel?

It would also allow the jury to frame her testimony and understand more rather than potentially just thinking “bitch, take a look around!”
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Co-signed.  This is a spark that ignites the greater rage which leads to reform.  Same thing could happen in Houston if Goines somehow escaped prosecution.

This and Goines/HPD are worlds apart.

Sure, protest her treatment after arrest.

If you want to use this verdict as a symbol of that, I guess  . . . 

And I don't disagree with the notion of protest, but don't protest the wrong thing.

To my point, her treatment after arrest occurred a year ago.

I haven't seen anything in this trial that infuriates me.  I'm not sure how willing I am to protest a jury's decision, because that's ineffectual because they aren't part of the system.

Protest the thing that's wrong, not something remote in time and causation or result from the wrong.  That doesn't reach anyone and probably pisses off some people who matter, like the trial judge, the DA, who did things right.

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

A completely innocent man is dead because somebody walked into his house and killed him. And that person is being given special treatment and considerations because they are a cop.

That's bullshit. I don't care what anyone says.

Completely innocent?  Are you just going to ignore the fact that he was a large black man who smoked marijuana?  

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To my point, her treatment after arrest occurred a year ago.

I haven't seen anything in this trial that infuriates me.  I'm not sure how willing I am to protest a jury's decision, because that's ineffectual because they aren't part of the system.

Protest the thing that's wrong, not something remote in time and causation or result from the wrong.  That doesn't reach anyone and probably pisses off some people who matter, like the trial judge, the DA, who did things right.

You don’t have to protest shit but you felt compelled to respond to Zep’s protest comment.

If people want to use this case as a springboard to change so be it.  Just don’t destroy innocent property or business’s. 

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

I wonder how much hot sequestration banging happens out of sheer boredom.

That’s a really good point.  How many kids were born 36-40 weeks after famous trials don’t look like their fathers?   

On 9/27/2019 at 2:48 PM, Huckleberry said:

IANAL but I've watched enough legal dramas on film and television to know you don't ask a question when you're not sure of the answer. This question could very easily be answered "yes" by someone. The question "in those situations did you ever shoot anyone?" would be a lot safer way to go based on my Hollywood expertise.

good point.  might as well ask them to try on a black leather glove i suppose.

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

A completely innocent man is dead because somebody walked into his house and killed him. And that person is being given special treatment and considerations because they are a cop.

That's bullshit. I don't care what anyone says.

Haven't been keeping up with thread - but dare shall I ask - she getting off or what? Or just the expected mechanics of the defense team wearing everyone out here?I see jury bits here and there...

Excuse me stewardess, I don't speak legal. 

This story is a truly frightening one. No accountability U.S.A. 

Edited by staboner

Just now, staboner said:

Haven't been keeping up with thread - but dare shall I ask - she getting off or what? Or just the expected mechanics of the defense team wearing everyone out here?

Excuse me stewardess, I don't speak legal. 

This story is a truly frightening one. No accountability U.S.A. 

Defenses are being used that would be laughed out of the courtroom if the defendant wasn't a cop with lawyers paid for by the cop union.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Defenses are being used that would be laughed out of the courtroom if the defendant wasn't a cop with lawyers paid for by the cop union.

A cop being tried for murder is a bit unique, no? By virtue of their profession and membership in a union there are going to be aspects that would differ from a murder trial for you or I. Is that objectionable?