Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So I’m wondering where the line is going to be drawn on riots/no riots.  Acquittal will obviously result in riots.  A conviction on a lesser charge with minimal time or probation will probably get some level of riotous activity.  I’m thinking she needs to get at least 10 years in the hoosegow for downtown to remain relatively unscathed.

Nah. Felony conviction with prison time will do it, especially given that it will keep her from ever having a firearm or being LEO again, which should both occur.

3 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I think you're overestimating the will of the people to risk life and limb rioting.  Protesting, sure.  Rioting - that's quite a stretch.

If she's found not guilty completely all bets are off.  But I think as long as she does SOME time things will be pretty calm.

Holy.  Fuck.

Gotta admit, I'm blown away.  Even though I -- for the first time -- thought there was a path to guilty once the testimony came out that she knew there was something up inside the apartment, and then consciously CHOSE to make entry (that is, she wasn't surprised AFTER she entered the apartment....I still didn't think they'd come back with guilty on murder.

Outstanding.

• Like 1

Just now, kevwun said:

Sometimes there is justice.  I still can't believe she admitted to hearing someone in the apartment before she went in.  That is what sealed it.

Agreed in that it's what would have sealed it for me if I were on the jury. That fact changed everything. Even on this thread you will see that I had said I could actually believe she was surprised by the whole deal, but then I heard that testimony. And that fact meant she had the opportunity to avoid the confrontation completely.

pretty shocked they got to "murder" here, but I would lean on saying that in this case if they were going to get it wrong on one side or the other I am more comfortable with murder than innocence.  What I mean is "not guilty and walk" would not have been acceptable to me.  You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun.  I cannot believe this situation deserved not guilty.  even if you made an "honest mistake" an innocent man is dead.  that should not go unpunished IMO.  On the other hand, I do not believe this girl murdered this guy based on what I have read and followed.  Had I been on the jury I think I would have voted for manslaughter and 15-20 and somewhere near whatever the max is for the offense.  I am still more okay with murder than not guilty, but I think murder is a reach.  

• Like 1