Mad Men

HouTex

26 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Anyone but Megan and that Sarlacc pit of a mouth on her.

Without Megan, Sally never gets to see her beau Roger getting his knob polished in the backroom...

Recently for no reason whatsoever I was thinking of what Lane calls Pete right before he beats his ass. He calls him a "grimy little pimp," which is a great insult, but something I thought he just sort of blurted out in anger. The more I think about it, though, the more elegant an insult it really is. He is condemning Pete's entire character, while acknowledging that something that should be beautiful and special (a sexual experience or, in this case, the artistic expression of high-end advertising) has attached to it a regrettable but completely necessary aspect, which is Pete, who is nothing more than dirty, wretched salesperson whose unctuous manipulations and amoral tactics make everything a little more shabby. Pete is like a pimp, whose very presence abases everything they collectively do. 

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Lane's final scene was so subtle yet so profound. Up to that point, and for decades later, Jaguars were known to be a very unreliable and expensive line to repair.  Sure they were a status car, luxurious by any standard, but due to their manufacturing set up, there were very few parts stateside.  Most, if not all, parts had to be shipped from the UK, making repair work (factory warranty or not) very costly.   Most warranty companies don't even underwrite Jags for extended protection and if they do, the extra cost is literally $5-$6K for 100k miles. 

The agency had access to a demo, not sure if it was actually Lane's personal driver or not, but as he is attempting to kill himself, he tries to eat a bullet by inhaling the exhaust fumes.  As per my the first paragraph, the Jag won't crank!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
27 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Ringer Prestige TV podcast doing a new podcast focusing on series finales and whether they “stuck the landing.”

Mad Men was their second episode. 

They stuck the landing.  May of 2015 was a melancholic time.  Both Mad Men and Justified ended, and they each stuck their landing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

They stuck the landing.  May of 2015 was a melancholic time.  Both Mad Men and Justified ended, and they each stuck their landing.

Yeah, the finale is perfect.  I rewatched the series last year and probably paid closer attention to the last season (the last few episodes in particular), and it was much stronger than I recalled.  They really wove it together well with Don on the road and his relationship with all the women in his life.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, the finale is perfect.  I rewatched the series last year and probably paid closer attention to the last season (the last few episodes in particular), and it was much stronger than I recalled.  They really wove it together well with Don on the road and his relationship with all the women in his life.

the last season came out split in two, so it made me think the last season was meh when it was really just the first few eps that bothered me. 

also i never bought how cunty joan was to don down the stretch. he made her a ton of fucking money. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

also i never bought how cunty joan was to don down the stretch. he made her a ton of fucking money. 

He blew up the deal she closed when she boinked that fat Jaguar exec.  Made what she did all for naught.  I get it.

Yeah but as I recall, he knew Joan always had a bit of an inferiority complex and he knew she would always view herself (albeit rich) as a whore if the deal went through. And didn’t she get partnership out of it?  It’s been years. 

Yes.  She boinked Jabba the Hut to get the Jaguar business for SCDP and a partnership for her.  Don came in late to talk her out of it, but was too late.

So they get the business and Joan’s “investment” pays off.  Then Don gets mad at Jabba the Hut and runs him off, cheapening Joan’s “contribution.”  Easy to see why she was mad.  At the same time he made it so she didn’t have that DOB around the office leading at her.  Did her a favor there.

it wasn’t about the boinking, it was because they were about to go public, which they neglected to tell him about.

he then turned around and landed chevy, merged agencies, made her even more cash, and then she was still voting against him coming back at the end. 

they also had real sentimental moments about sleeping with the jaguar slob (when he went to her place too late to stop her) and pulling her out of the office after she got served with divorce papers.  they seemed to have a special bond, and there was a lot of "you're really one of the good ones" type of attitude from her, knowing that even roger (whom she had a previous relationship with) put the agency over her well-being.

it was really about later on, when they were voting on him coming back, she did the full turn and was like "why would we ever let him come back" type of shit and i did not like that nor think it made sense for their relationship arc.  all it did was take someone i already didn't like and make me like her less.

• Hook 'Em 2

Did Joan's percentage of the company get diluted when they brought back Don? That would drive about 99.999% of her decision to vote against it.

Christina Hendricks did a terrific job playing Joan. She from an office flirt/sometimes slut chasing an engagement ring to joining the boy's club of rich partners. 

Some of my Joan observations 

- Does she want Roger to leave his wife and marry her? I'd say no. I get that their relationship is dying out in Season 1, but she never gives it the college try. Maybe in the events before Smoke Gets in Your Eye she tried and failed with Roger. 

- Probably due to her age, social status, and her own vanity, she had to settle for a untalented and not connected doctor. The guy was handsome but he was also mean, rapey, and was no surgeon. She was pretty unsupportive when he joined the military to chase his surgeon dreams. 

- Credit to her for pouring herself into her career after her failed marriage. Joan in 1960 would probably view being a divorced, single mother as a fate worse than death, but she used her career to get back up again. 

I think the posters above did a pretty good job breaking down her character in later seasons. I understand her animosity for Don. He often put himself before his friends and the company. Yes she was kind of a bitch, and it just got worse as she aged, but you could say the same thing about Don right up to his Coca Cola epiphany. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did Joan's percentage of the company get diluted when they brought back Don? That would drive about 99.999% of her decision to vote against it.

i'm almost positive it did not. 

she threw a fit when he forced jaguar out because they were about to go public, and that cost everyone money.  and yeah, it would suck to lose that money considering how she had to debase herself to get it and she had a right to be mad at that instant.  but again, they didn't tell him they were meeting with bankers about it, and that likely would've changed his attitude about the slob.

but afterwards, he signed chevy and merged with ted, giving her a pretty sweet setup and her ownership points were worth way more moving forward.  that all setup the eventual mccann offer, which made her rich.

in fact, when they were voting on whether to allow him back or not, they discussed how it would cost them a fortune to get rid of him, because of his partnership stake (they would need to buy him out).  that's when cutler started fucking around to force him out on a technicality, which wasn't working until burt croaked.

the bottom line is that everyone who was ever interested in buying/merging with the company was because of don, and once she had a partnership stake, she would've known that, yet she still acted like he wasn't needed - then or ever. 

yeah, he was drinking too much (both before and after the warnings), but it wasn't until he white-knuckled it in the hershey meeting that he got himself in trouble.  the drinking actually had little to do with it.  he was just finally coming to terms with who he was and where he came from. 

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, he was drinking too much (both before and after the warnings), but it wasn't until he white-knuckled it in the hershey meeting that he got himself in trouble. 

Ah, that Hershey meeting--I just got chills remembering Hamm's performance and the amazing writing. 

I recall thinking that Joan was just done with Don's self-centered behavior after Jaguar, even if those decisions made her better off.  It was that he took control and made those decisions for everyone else that caused the bitterness.