Does any other conference stop play to review for targeting when penalty isn’t called?

BurntOrange&White

Just wondering, rewatching the game the Sterns interception. Does any other conference or any other games you’ve watched stop game play to review targeting when a penalty was not called on the field of play? I seem to recall this happening to us at least a half dozen times over the past couple of seasons.

This is the first year I have ever seen that shit, and I have not seen it in any other games, but admittedly I don't watch other games as closely as I watch ours. Had they popped Brandon Jones for targeting, it would have been the 3rd targeting call made on Texas while reviewing a spot or another call. It is a horrible precedent in modern refereeing. 

• Like 2

The non-Big 12 officials doing the Tech-Ole Miss game did it.  Not called on the field, was just a passing glance, and they buzzed down to review and then determined the Tech player was guilty of targeting.

Now, the two times later in the game where the Ole Miss players did the same or worse, there was no flag on the field and no review from above.  And they were much more blatant hits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

This is the first year I have ever seen that shit, and I have not seen it in any other games, but admittedly I don't watch other games as closely as I watch ours. Had they popped Brandon Jones for targeting, it would have been the 3rd targeting call made on Texas while reviewing a spot or another call. It is a horrible precedent in modern refereeing. 

Everything looks worse in slo-mo.

Truth is most of the time these guys are flying to the football to make a play - not to make a soul crushing hit.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Just wondering, rewatching the game the Sterns interception. Does any other conference or any other games you’ve watched stop game play to review targeting when a penalty was not called on the field of play? I seem to recall this happening to us at least a half dozen times over the past couple of seasons.

Tech had one in the opening game against Old Miss where the DB pulled up but still bumped helemts with the QB after he had thrown it away.

No flag. Ball almost snapped on next play... then review and ejection.

Total bullshit.

53 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Everything looks worse in slo-mo.

Truth is most of the time these guys are flying to the football to make a play - not to make a soul crushing hit.

This is the problem, and added to the fact that the vast majority of refs never played tackle football. My radical idea to fix this issue is all refs should be forced to put on the uniforms and play a full game of tackle football against each other. Let Clay Matthews be the head referee. Then they will find out that physics matter in football. 

4 minutes ago, The Triple Lindy said:

ouSux would be crippled by this.

He's probably referring to when that was called against Texas. Three games in a row. 

What about going back and reviewing for pass interference that was missed? There was at least 2 defensive and 1 offensive PI against TCU that was ignored...   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

This is the problem, and added to the fact that the vast majority of refs never played tackle football. My radical idea to fix this issue is all refs should be forced to put on the uniforms and play a full game of tackle football against each other. Let Clay Matthews be the head referee. Then they will find out that physics matter in football. 

So baseball umps should have been pitchers? Catchers? Batters?

must have been a placekicker to call FGs and PATs?

seems like weird qualification to interpret the rules. 

50 minutes ago, The Triple Lindy said:

ouSux would be crippled by this.

Yeah well those dumbfuck officials called it on Texas 2 or 3 times, they stopped the game and reviewed to see if the catch was beyond the LOS to then throw the flag for blocking downfield.

38 minutes ago, XYZ said:

How about changing the rules so that refs can call for a video review only, say, three times per game? This is bullshit, they kill the pace of the game. Now they review for penalties that might have happened?

Three for each sides offense.

I feel like when we get rolling they always want to stop the game and dick around for 5 mins and let the defense recover.

Yes all the conferences do review targeting on non-penalty plays.  I was watching a game this past week and an opposing coach used a timeout to give the replay officials a chance to review. 

They came back after timeout and the player was ejected.  I think it was either Auburn or Georgia game.

Sounds reasonable to me as long as refs that call aggy games have been forced to fuck sheep and felch goatass.

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

How about getting rid of replay?

I don't think you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

As others have mentioned, I think the NCAA should follow the NFL's model.  Coach gets two challenges, and all TD's and TO's are reviewed automatically...and that's it. And if a penalty isn't called on the field, it should not be called from the press box.  

I like all scoring plays and turnovers being reviewed.

As screwy as college officiating gets, I would struggle with limiting coach's challenges unless you went with "You can challenge until you get two wrong. After that, it costs you a T/O if you're wrong.

I have favored the booth removing/ rescinding a targeting call in the past, but I also agree that i dislike the booth being able to add a penalty because it looks different in slow motion/ multiple angles.

Ultimately, get the calls right.  replays should be to help get the calls right... not to further complicate the game.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, slorch said:

I feel like with judging pitching, batting, and kicking are very objective (just keep the ball within the lines) whereas judging a tackle is very difficult to do unless you've actually been in and played the game (especially if you are going to be judging it on a professional level).

15 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I feel like with judging pitching, batting, and kicking are very objective (just keep the ball within the lines) whereas judging a tackle is very difficult to do unless you've actually been in and played the game (especially if you are going to be judging it on a professional level).

What you want is the rules committee to be ex-players. Refs just call what they're told to. Rules committee is the one calling the shots.