2019 Transfer & Grad-Transfer Available Players

LTtxfan

48 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Open the floodgates. The NCAA is now officially toothless with regard to enforcing transfer eligibility rules. You get a lawyer, they are going to buckle. This is good news on the Bru front but we are about to enter an era of extreme uncertainty.

Yeah, I'm kinda with you on this.

No team sport can survive unlimited free agency.  

Roster management is going to be hard as hell.  

This is something that may end up falling to the conferences to police. If the NCAA declines to place any limits, the P5 could, if the will existed, certainly tweak the intra-conference transfer restrictions already in existence to account for transfers in from other conferences.

Edited by Magus Ossis

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Starkel motion is talking with FSU

Not a terrible choice for them although it obviously doesn't help this year. Never mind, he's a grad transfer, this is actually a really good idea.

A kid who was too scared to chat up the pretty ice cream shop girl is most likely not going to get involved in a dark woman-beating scandal like Francois.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I guess we will wait to see what happens but I thought this might happen.

Herb Hand started following Kam Martin. With Whitlow/Shivers returning plus Richards in recruiting carries are going to be tough to get next year at Auburn. 

Is Kam grad-transferring? or just possibly looking to escape?

Also, this would be so weird.

Leach just signed a Grad Transfer QB

"Quarterback Gage Gubrud transferring to Washington State"

Former Eastern Washington quarterback Gage Gubrud has won an appeal for an additional year of eligibility and will spend his final season as a graduate transfer at Washington State.

WSU announced Gubrud, a two-time finalist for the Walter Payton Award, given to the best offensive player in FCS, joined the program Saturday morning.

"We are excited for Gage to come in and compete with the quarterbacks on our team," head coach Mike Leach said. "He is an extremely experienced and productive player who led Eastern Washington to great heights in his time there. It's not often that you can add a quarterback to your roster that has started 28 games and thrown for nearly 10,000 yards. We are looking forward to getting him on campus and finishing his collegiate career in a WSU Cougar uniform."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25959528/quarterback-gage-gubrud-transferring-washington-state

Edited by LTtxfan

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I guess we will wait to see what happens but I thought this might happen.

Herb Hand started following Kam Martin. With Whitlow/Shivers returning plus Richards in recruiting carries are going to be tough to get next year at Auburn. 

Kam Martin playing for Texas after his recruitment (and tattoo) would be hilarious.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Open the floodgates. The NCAA is now officially toothless with regard to enforcing transfer eligibility rules. You get a lawyer, they are going to buckle. This is good news on the Bru front but we are about to enter an era of extreme uncertainty.

Same as it always was. Myck Kabongo gets docked a full season for just talking with an agent, no lawyer. Johnny Manziel is caught getting paid for signing autographs and gets docked a half vs. Rice, lawyered up. The NCAA, and by proxy all the schools that are its members, won't spend any money in defending its rules. At this point the schools should just end the charade and close up shop on the NCAA, what's the point of making rules when you won't invest to enforce them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Has there been any news on Abercrumbia (Rice DT grad transfer)? 

I haven't found anything on him taking visits to other schools. 

Since he's a grad transfer, recruiting should pick up in next couple months.

"Michigan and Abercrumbia haven’t yet discusses meeting one another in person, but we will pass that information along if/when a date is set.

Right now Abercrumbia has official visits to Iowa (Feb 1st) and Mississippi State (Jan 25), along with an unofficial visit to SMU. There is no firm timetable as to when Abercrumbia will choose who he plays for next season, he says he’s in “no rush”.

Other programs that have reached out to Abercrumbia include Notre Dame, Northwestern, Texas, Penn State, Memphis, TCU, Toledo, Tulane, Vanderbilt, and Oregon State.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2019/1/13/18181081/rice-grad-transfer-dt-zach-abercrumbia-shares-interest-in-contact-with-michigan-wolverines-harbaugh

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Has there been any news on Abercrumbia (Rice DT grad transfer)? 

I haven't found anything on him taking visits to other schools. 

Biggest issue with this one, and it’s going to be interesting to see how this is navigated with other positions and GTs as depth builds, is that they want to get into spring ball with their current players happy. See what the rotation looks like and if the juice is worth the squeeze on adding another guy what will play to the mix once a depth chart is semi-established. It’s important not to alienate the emerging talent even if we’d look at the recruitment and say “we have scholarship. it’s just for one year.” They’re not desperate at DL. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Biggest issue with this one, and it’s going to be interesting to see how this is navigated with other positions and GTs as depth builds, is that they want to get into spring ball with their current players happy. See what the rotation looks like and if the juice is worth the squeeze on adding another guy what will play to the mix once a depth chart is semi-established. It’s important not to alienate the emerging talent even if we’d look at the recruitment and say “we have scholarship. it’s just for one year.” They’re not desperate at DL. 

Smart.  Because the worst thing that could happen is for them to have a repeat of the 2016 class, where we signed a bunch of bodies and they all ended up leaving.

At NG, Coburn looked potentially special in (very) short spurts this year.  We know that Wilbon will be able to handle quite a few snaps this year and might even be able to two-gap at the nose (something we haven't had from our starters under Orlando).  We've already seen Roach spend some time at NG during obvious passing situations. 

I'd be more interested in the staff pursuing another 4i-type player than a NG.  We have Graham and Roach returning next year, but behind them there's a lot of question marks and both those guys have relatively concerning injury histories. 

Who knows what Jamari Chisholm will look like next year?  I was unimpressed by Ojomo in his minimal action this year (recognizing that he's 14 and yet to hit puberty).  I think it's unlikely Ossai can add the mass necessary to hold up at 4i before next year (and why would you want him to, with what he showed off the edge this year?).  And I can't get out of my head the image of Bimage getting repeatedly buried by oSu and WVU on outside zone runs, and given his injury, I'm not holding my breath that he makes a leap this year.  Thus, the "known quantities" do not inspire a ton of excitement at one of the most crucial positions on the field.

The loss of Mike Williams probably hurts a lot here, because he could have grown into a really solid and potentially special player in this role.  I guess the staff hopes that Carson will mature into a player who can anchor the strongside 4i spot in 2020?

If Jacoby Jones can immediately crack the two deep, we are in a way better place here.  But depth (and talent) are still thin, while we develop these young classes.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Smart.  Because the worst thing that could happen is for them to have a repeat of the 2016 class, where we signed a bunch of bodies and they all ended up leaving.

At NG, Coburn looked potentially special in (very) short spurts this year.  We know that Wilbon will be able to handle quite a few snaps this year and might even be able to two-gap at the nose (something we haven't had from our starters under Orlando).  We've already seen Roach spend some time at NG during obvious passing situations. 

I'd be more interested in the staff pursuing another 4i-type player than a NG.  We have Graham and Roach returning next year, but behind them there's a lot of question marks and both those guys have relatively concerning injury histories. 

Who knows what Jamari Chisholm will look like next year?  I was unimpressed by Ojomo in his minimal action this year (recognizing that he's 14 and yet to hit puberty).  I think it's unlikely Ossai can add the mass necessary to hold up at 4i before next year (and why would you want him to, with what he showed off the edge this year?).  And I can't get out of my head the image of Bimage getting repeatedly buried by oSu and WVU on outside zone runs, and given his injury, I'm not holding my breath that he makes a leap this year.  Thus, the "known quantities" do not inspire a ton of excitement at one of the most crucial positions on the field.

The loss of Mike Williams probably hurts a lot here, because he could have grown into a really solid and potentially special player in this role.  I guess the staff hopes that Carson will mature into a player who can anchor the strongside 4i spot in 2020?

If Jacoby Jones can immediately crack the two deep, we are in a way better place here.  But depth (and talent) are still thin, while we develop these young classes.

Now that the 2019 class is done, word is that they think Carson is going to be a fucking beast. We'll see how much of that is bullshit this spring and summer, but the two names mentioned repeatedly as players they wanted to avoid having to discuss with recruits on the depth chart were Vaughns and Carson. If the back channels are to believed, those two are going to be good at their respective positions. The same was being said about Mike Williams and they were pissed and surprised at his abrupt exit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now that the 2019 class is done, word is that they think Carson is going to be a fucking beast. We'll see how much of that is bullshit this spring and summer, but the two names mentioned repeatedly as players they wanted to avoid having to discuss with recruits on the depth chart were Vaughns and Carson. If the back channels are to believed, those two are going to be good at their respective positions. The same was being said about Mike Williams and they were pissed and surprised at his abrupt exit.  

Anything come up about him "paying his own way" at LSU? Because we all read the stories about how poor he grew up when he committed.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Anything come up about him "paying his own way" at LSU? Because we all read the stories about how poor he grew up when he committed.

Go_Your_Own_Way_single.jpg

Signing you wasn't the right thing to do.

How can we outspend the SEC?

If we could, we would give you the league.

How can we, when you leave for LSU?

You can "pay your own way."

Pay your own way

You can call it all just fair play

You can "pay your own way"

Pay your own way

Edited by Magus Ossis

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well that would obviously be awesome. I wonder why they didn't get any of those three guys on the field at all their first years.  If the staff has such high expectations for them, you would think they could've helped out somewhere this past year during their 4 games of eligibility.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Obvious answer is obvious on that one. It's a 3rd world country listed as one of our 50 states. The corruption there is endemic, systemic and almost impossible to deter or investigate.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given the physical development so far under the current staff of the remaining DL left from Strong, I would say if someone is being mentioned as a beast, it will likely happen. I think the problem with the OSU and WVU games were 100% schematic errors by Orlando, as opposed to our guys getting blown off the ball.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Well that would obviously be awesome. I wonder why they didn't get any of those three guys on the field at all their first years.  If the staff has such high expectations for them, you would think they could've helped out somewhere this past year during their 4 games of eligibility.

Right. That's also why I hedged my take and what I expect. It's a good thing to hear, but unless they just haven't fully figured out the handling of redshirting rotations with established units, it doesn't make sense that they didn't sniff the field.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Given the physical development so far under the current staff of the remaining DL left from Strong, I would say if someone is being mentioned as a beast, it will likely happen. I think the problem with the OSU and WVU games were 100% schematic errors by Orlando, as opposed to our guys getting blown off the ball.

Those losses were not 100% schematic by any means. Our depth was thin last year and could be thin this year if a lot of young guys don’t develop. We experienced the highest number of injuries during that OSU, Tech, WVU stretch. It’s no coincidence the D struggled the most then. I think Orlando could’ve done more schematically to offset some of the injuries, but with our depth and personnel being so thin there, he was always going to be trading off one issue for another.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Just so you know, your take is basically 100% incorrect.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Cosmi didn’t play at all last year and got a ton of buzz in the offseason, and turned out to be a beast. I think certain guys they realize need to addd weight/strength and learn proper technique first, so they don’t play them at all to focus on those things. It would be great if Carson became the DL versikn of Cosmi. Carson does have a great frame, good athleticism (he was prettty elite in some of the track and field events iirc).

Im trying to think of guys who have been offseason darlings in the past: Cosmi, Hager, Boyce, Ehlinger, Sterns, Foster, Ingram, maybe Omenihu? 

Overall, that’s a decently high hit rate, although Boyce (at least this year) and Hager were huge misses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I thought the staff did a good job handling the redshirts, given that it was the first year of the rule. The only guy I thought that could have used a redshirt that didn't get one was Cade Brewer.

Kerstetter would have been nice, but as the first guy off the bench once Cosmi passed him up, that would have been tough to pull off

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Cosmi didn’t play at all last year and got a ton of buzz in the offseason, and turned out to be a beast. I think certain guys they realize need to addd weight/strength and learn proper technique first, so they don’t play them at all to focus on those things. It would be great if Carson became the DL versikn of Cosmi. Carson does have a great frame, good athleticism (he was prettty elite in some of the track and field events iirc). 

Carson won Missouri's state championship (for his division) in shot put: https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=7829327

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Im trying to think of guys who have been offseason darlings in the past: Cosmi, Hager, Boyce, Ehlinger, Sterns, Foster, Ingram, maybe Omenihu? 

Overall, that’s a decently high hit rate, although Boyce (at least this year) and Hager were huge misses.

Carson was also a pretty good basketball player.  Worst case he's a guy that can rotate in and give snaps this year.  Getting Jacoby Jones in for spring is huge.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Don't remember hearing that much about Ingram.

LJH and Collin both received a lot of hype this offseason (and delivered). People also said that we had figured out how to use Duvernay, and that was kind of true.

Hudson and Okafor had supposedly figured it out. We won't know the truth on that one since Hudson had his medical issues and they made the (wise) choice to redshirt Okafor.

On defense, Davis was said to finally have his head on straight (true) and the Boyd tax was a thing of the past (false).

All in all, you're right, most of the players who were said to have improved made a positive impact.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Cosmi example is unhelpful, since this is the first year these guys had four "free" games while still redshirting.  There were a ton of reports last year that Cosmi would have started the bowl game if it weren't for the need to preserve his redshirt.

Ossai was definitely a darling last offseason, too.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Do want. Thibs find another bluechip's mom to seduce?

Kind of surprising considering they kept Thibs. I’m all for it though. Tatum has a ton of talent, although he was also a qualification risk so maybe he’s not loving the school part. I can’t imagine he’s transferring due to lack of opportunity on the DL.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:
2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

No chance OU will let him transfer here. 

But still a big loss for OU if he transfers.  

I thought with the rise of ~*~The Portal~*~ that they can't block in-conference transfers anymore? 

True.  OU will have no say over where he transfers.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Don't remember hearing that much about Ingram.

LJH and Collin both received a lot of hype this offseason (and delivered). People also said that we had figured out how to use Duvernay, and that was kind of true. 

Hudson and Okafor had supposedly figured it out. We won't know the truth on that one since Hudson had his medical issues and they made the (wise) choice to redshirt Okafor.

On defense, Davis was said to finally have his head on straight (true) and the Boyd tax was a thing of the past (false).

All in all, you're right, most of the players who were said to have improved made a positive impact.

Josh Thompson is perennially hyped (especially by IT) and to date has underdelivered.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

The Cosmi example is unhelpful, since this is the first year these guys had four "free" games while still redshirting.  There were a ton of reports last year that Cosmi would have started the bowl game if it weren't for the need to preserve his redshirt.

Ossai was definitely a darling last offseason, too.

You might be right about the bowl game, but I think the staff indicated they didn’t want to play Cosmi so he could focus on gaining strength and learning technique during the year, which could be the same for Carson. Carson could be an absolute freak. His frame could easily carry 290-300 lbs without losing athleticism. 

We’ll see, but I agree we need some guys to step up at 4i and Graham needs to live up to the hype. He’s been hyped for two offseasons in a row now.

I wonder what the staff does if Vaughn’s turns into a beast with ossai already there. Orlando played the B-backer a ton at UH, but hasn’t played it much here, although I think that’s been more due to lack of talent at the position. He’s never played a system with 2 true OLBs though, and I doubt he’d try it in the Big 12. Maybe Ossai bulls up enough by 2020 to play DE?