9/30 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #19

The Tower

1 minute ago, po elvis said:

Oh come on. We should have been ranked after the Maryland loss? That would have been the most ridiculous ranking ever.

hey regard, I said we should have been ranked 4 weeks after the MD loss. You know, when we were 4-1 with 2 wins over top 25 teams.

Like we were in virtually every other poll, except SI's.

• 5 LSU lost to 22 Florida probably stays ahead of Texas
  • 7 OU sucks lost to 19 Texas
  • 8 Auburn lost bad to Miss St has 2 losses and should fall below Texas
  • 13 Kentucky lost to aggy.  Should fall below Texas
  • 14 Stanford got second loss against Utah.  We should pass them
  • 15 Michigan beat Maryland by 3 TDs
  • 16 Wisconsin beat winless Nebraska by 3 scores
  • 17 Miami had close win against unranked Florida State so possible jump
  • 18 Oregon was idle so probably jump

We should go up to 15 at lowest but maybe 12-13.  If we had won by 21 I would argue higher but blowing the 21 point lead keeps us behind Michigan and Wisconsin

If college football was fair, UT would easily be in the Top 10 today. There aren't even 10 undefeated teams left, and UT's resume is every bit as good as any team with a loss.

Probably my biggest gripe with college football is the "bad loss" argument. It happens every year, and it almost completely ignores the fact that a bunch of 18-23 year olds can be a totally different team than they were in September. Total body of work is important, but not at the expense of ignoring obvious improvement. Holding Maryland again Texas all year as a worse loss than other teams with similar records--which, let's face it, pollsters and the committee will do--is asinine. No other sport does this. The Patriots don't have a "yeah, but they lost to the Bills in week 2" asterisk on any of their Super Bowls. Anybody can have a bad game, especially early in the season. I don't care who you lost to; who'd you beat?

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If college football was fair, UT would easily be in the Top 10 today. There aren't even 10 undefeated teams left, and UT's resume is every bit as good as any team with a loss.

Probably my biggest gripe with college football is the "bad loss" argument. It happens every year, and it almost completely ignores the fact that a bunch of 18-23 year olds can be a totally different team than they were in September. Total body of work is important, but not at the expense of ignoring obvious improvement. Holding Maryland again Texas all year as a worse loss than other teams with similar records--which, let's face it, pollsters and the committee will do--is asinine. No other sport does this. The Patriots don't have a "yeah, but they lost to the Bills in week 2" asterisk on any of their Super Bowls. Anybody can have a bad game, especially early in the season. I don't care who you lost to; who'd you beat?

we keep forgetting the age, especially since Texas has so many true FR or 'true' Sophs all over. I think since they are so big and physically mature, they look 25-30, our eyes fool us. 

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

011e48ee71bb46075c3792992d840cc5.jpg

ca985bf9139e57f109e6fc6f4b11f306.jpg

87040d9207e6b45fa0fafe5ae41e65a3.jpg

1a67c5931cad558fab84222da724a294.jpg

Bama will eventually knock off the SEC East out of the playoffs. The GA-FL game finally has value after many years.  

GA next 4 games are LSU, Florida, Kentucky and Auburn. I think they lose 1 of those. 

I just can't see ND, Bama, Clemson or tOSU losing to anyone on their schedule, so that's your CFP at the moment. 

1 hour ago, BigXII said:

hey regard, I said we should have been ranked 4 weeks after the MD loss. You know, when we were 4-1 with 2 wins over top 25 teams.

Like we were in virtually every other poll, except SI's.

1 hour ago, BigXII said:

The over reaction was Texas being unranked due to a week 1 loss to MD after 4 straight wins, 2 over top 25 teams.

SI was doing a Top 10 thing.  Unranked there means out of the top 10. 

12 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Bama will eventually knock off the SEC East out of the playoffs. The GA-FL game finally has value after many years.  

GA next 4 games are LSU, Florida, Kentucky and Auburn. I think they lose 1 of those. 

I just can't see ND, Bama, Clemson or tOSU losing to anyone on their schedule, so that's your CFP at the moment. 

Florida is a poser. If you didn't watch the aggy game last night and see that Kentucky is still Kentucky.

A variation of this scenario plays out every. single. season.
And every single season undefeated teams drop a game they shouldn’t. Heck, for as dominant as Bama has been over the last decade, they almost always lose a game.

There’s never ever been four undefeated power 5 teams at the end of the season. And this season will be no different.

Fact is, if Texas wins out (big if), they will make the CFP. Book it. If you’re going to lose, you should lose early. And you can’t lose any earlier than week1.
But more importantly, we need to win out. The rest of the field will take care of itself.
  • Like 1

A variation of this scenario plays out every. single. season.
And every single season undefeated teams drop a game they shouldn’t. Heck, for as dominant as Bama has been over the last decade, they almost always lose a game.

There’s never ever been four undefeated power 5 teams at the end of the season. And this season will be no different.

Fact is, if Texas wins out (big if), they will make the CFP. Book it. If you’re going to lose, you should lose early. And you can’t lose any earlier than week1.
But more importantly, we need to win out. The rest of the field will take care of itself.

Shock the Nation!!
  • Like 2

Mountaineers are where this week? 6? They looked kind of crappy against Kansas, but they didn't really take them seriously IMO.

Man, that game they had to scarp w/ North Carolina St. man. That would have been fun. 

I guess they get to SEC this year. Good for them.

I hope they can remain undefeated until we play them. That Iowa St game isn't as easy as they would have thought. That freshman looked like he gave them a deminesion they haven't had since.... Seneca Wallace?

And we still have to play Okie st at Boone Pickens.... but dang if we can both stay undefeated DKR is going to ROCK a la the game in 2013.

The fact that we are debating where we should be ranked, and not for some pre-season "we're Texas" bullshit but because we've actually beaten three quality teams this season, is fun. 

I have so much ptsd from the last few years that I find myself refusing to believe we're actually turning the corner.  Then I step back and realize there is no way any Texas team since 09 goes through those last 4 games at 4-0, and we pretty well controlled the three hardest opponents for most of those contests.

Usc and tcu may not be great teams this year, but they're good enough to have beaten us every year since 09.  OU, defensive problems aside, is a legitimately good team and if we don't go ultra conservative in the fourth, I'm convinced we win by at least 2 tds. 

My mind still refuses to accept it, but the evidence is there that we're putting things together.  I no longer cringe every time the ball leaves Sam's hands or when we call a run play.  We actually look reasonably good at football against good competition for the first time in a long time.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The fact that we are debating where we should be ranked, and not for some pre-season "we're Texas" bullshit but because we've actually beaten three quality teams this season, is fun. 

I have so much ptsd from the last few years that I find myself refusing to believe we're actually turning the corner.  Then I step back and realize there is no way any Texas team since 09 goes through those last 4 games at 4-0, and we pretty well controlled the three hardest opponents for most of those contests.

Usc and tcu may not be great teams this year, but they're good enough to have beaten us every year since 09.  OU, defensive problems aside, is a legitimately good team and if we don't go ultra conservative in the fourth, I'm convinced we win by at least 2 tds. 

My mind still refuses to accept it, but the evidence is there that we're putting things together.  I no longer cringe every time the ball leaves Sam's hands or when we call a run play.  We actually look reasonably good at football against good competition for the first time in a long time.

Yup. This thread is fun now. 

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

The fact that you are mentioning this with Texas in mind is all I care about. It is nice to be relevant again, and not be depressed /disinterested when discussing the CFP.