9/30 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #19

The Tower

45 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

bama has a two-game schedule.  LSU and Auburn.  That's it.  The rest are a bunch of nobodies.

first half points this year for satan: 197

first half points this year against satan: 20

13 of those points were from aggy

so either aggy are very very good or, more likely bama would beat the browns

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Have you seen them play a legit top-25 team?  Because I haven't.

That's not to say that I think Alabama has forgotten how to play football.  I don't.  It is to say, however, that this year's team is different from last year's, and we don't know how good this year's team is from having watched them play other quality teams.

I can tell you from watching Notre Dame pound the fuck out of Stanford (which I think is a very good team) that Notre Dame is very good.  We don't have the same type of observational evidence vis-a-vis Alabama.

That's all I'm saying.

Cool. That's all fine and dandy. Resume arguments are great. Now, would you put a single cent on Notre Dame beating Alabama on a neutral field?

I fucking hate it, but that's college football at the moment.

Can we drop with the myth that Manhattan is some sort of great home field advantage? It is basically a place where Mack Brown got scared to death. Strong never coached a team that was even decent on the road, Little Apple or otherwise. 

KSU was 14-9 in Big 12 play at home over the previous 5 seasons. (That is boosted by their 4-0 home mark 4 years ago.) They are 0-8 against ranked Big 12 teams at home during that stretch. 

I hope Herman has ended our pathetic run in that shithole and he continues to chip away at their overall favorable record against us.

Fuck OU.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Clemson shouldn't be anywhere near the top 5.  They look . . . not good.

Notre Dame has the best resume out there right now.

It's hard to go undefeated, the great Saban has only done it once, in 2009, and in recent history Meyer 2x with an asterisk in 2012 and Petersen 2x.  20 teams in the past 20 years, with 8 of them being G5.

obviously there have been more than that who made it to the playoffs/BCS only to lose, but it's more common one of the teams have 1 loss and exceedingly rare for more than 2 viable teams with no losses, 2004 being an outlier.  

Since the fighting chiziks won it all in 2010, only Baggins 2013 team actually won the championship undefeated.  

this year Clemson is almost certainly destined for a loss, maybe BC, maybe the CCG, but the season is too long for them to go undefeated.   It's been 30 years since ND has done it under Lou Holtz, they have passed their largest hurdles so we will see if they can stay focused and finish this year.  At this point it does look favorable for them, which presents a problem for everyone not in the SEC.  

if ND goes undefeated they are in. Period.   If that happens Bama is probably the only team that can survive a loss. The biggest clusterfuck is ND and tOSU goes undefeated.  LSU beats Bama close, then loses to undefeated UGA.  Playoffs of UGA/tOSU- ND/Bama.  3 one loss conference champions left out.  

1 hour ago, TtomTerrific said:

if we beat OU we will be ranked 11 everywhere.

I would almost bet on it.

Teams above us would have to lose, imo, and there's no ranked matchups ahead of us.  If we win I would expect we move up to 14 if teams above hold serve.  I don't think we pass an undefeated SEC team with 1 loss even if it's a basketball school, and Stanford would have the "better loss". 

34 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Can we drop with the myth that Manhattan is some sort of great home field advantage? It is basically a place where Mack Brown got scared to death. Strong never coached a team that was even decent on the road, Little Apple or otherwise. 

Dismiss them all you like, but Snyder has very clearly circled games against Texas over the years and his players have played way above their talent level against us. Our players have to figure out that we always get everyone’s best shot and we have to be ready to fight back. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Dismiss them all you like, but Snyder has very clearly circled games against Texas over the years and his players have played way above their talent level against us. Our players have to figure out that we always get everyone’s best shot and we have to be ready to fight back. 

I am dismissing the idea that KSU has some sort of home field advantage. Our reasons for losing there and to KSU in general has nothing to do with location. Snyder has certainly given us fits, but then Ron Prince also had our number. I would say it was more of a Mack problem than anything as we actually have a winning record against KSU since he retired and the two losses were to KSU teams that were demonstrably better than us.

3 hours ago, rickyspub said:

Can we drop with the myth that Manhattan is some sort of great home field advantage?

As soon as they stop beating us there regularly.

I am dismissing the idea that KSU has some sort of home field advantage. Our reasons for losing there and to KSU in general has nothing to do with location. Snyder has certainly given us fits, but then Ron Prince also had our number. I would say it was more of a Mack problem than anything as we actually have a winning record against KSU since he retired and the two losses were to KSU teams that were demonstrably better than us.

Well that is fair. And it is not like we did that much better against them at home either while Mack was here.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

So the AP values quality  losses over quality wins? Which is the only way to explain Oregon and Miami being ahead of us

Oregon being ahead of us is a sham. Their schedule has been dogshit compared to ours.

6 hours ago, rickyspub said:

Sure, but you're underestimating that college football is just fucking weird sometimes. If you want to be dominant you have to push through strange games against weird opponents that just have your number across classes.

Honestly after years of "statistics work except for Texas ruining my model" and "Texas is sort of my second team but holy shit y'all always lose on national tv", it's nice to see us prove people right. 

14 hours ago, F250 said:

SEC, brah.

Seriously, I have no issue with us dropping in the ranking due to the struggle within Kstate but this kind of grading needs to be applied across the board. Even OU is dropping after wins but SEC schools move up after lackluster wins. Bullshit.

And on what planet is someone on that thinks aggy should be ranked?

Auburn didn’t deserve to go up other than most voters don’t really watch the games and just look at record and SEC.  FPI and Sagarin have A&M in the top 25 at this point.  If the spreads hold true this week, get ready for A&M being ranked and Texas not being ranked since it’s the SEC.

16 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Notre Dame has the best resume out there right now.

LSU? 

Duh U & AU wins away from home > UM & Tree wins at home... IMHO

Adding to the SEC conspiracy,  I think a very thin (and over ranked) Gata team loses at home by 10 or so.  That win further fuels the corndog Cookie Monster hype until a bug meets windshield shield like Bama/LSU game.  Media slobs Saban's knob to a guaranteed playoff spot regardless of what happens vs Gawga...  profit

Uh, no. This is related to the biggest crock of shit that Texas fans believe about the team, that somehow only we get everyone's best shot. Bill Snyder doesn't give a single shit more about Texas than anyone else. What he does is have a well coached team every year and we have a history of playing and coaching dumb. Combine that with Kansas State missing all of our best teams since 2000 and there you go.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

ND has a cake walk of a schedule left as long as USC doesn't get better. They are in the CFP as far as I'm concerned now. 

I think they are in absent Daniels becoming a great QB this year and USC peaking late as the schedule looks really good now.  Even with one loss to USC, I think they still have a chance.  

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Sure, but you're underestimating that college football is just fucking weird sometimes. If you want to be dominant you have to push through strange games against weird opponents that just have your number across classes.

Honestly after years of "statistics work except for Texas ruining my model" and "Texas is sort of my second team but holy shit y'all always lose on national tv", it's nice to see us prove people right. 

I am not underestimating the weirdness of college football...in fact, that is exactly what I am saying is the foundation of KSU's record over us. There is no huge statistical home field advantage for KSU. It is noise over other factors. And while Huckleberry is right that KSU got lucky that the old Big 12 scheduling had them missing us at our two peaks, Mack had a weird inability to beat KSU, even when he brought in what should have been the better team.

The reality is that, since Mack, the record more or less matches the quality of the teams. Strong's two losses came against Snyder's last two 9-win teams and his win was against a Wildcat team that barely made a bowl. Last year, both teams were just barely better than .500 and we won in double overtime. Obviously, I hope our close win over what is likely another weak KSU squad, is just part of the ups and downs of quality during the season and we prove to be 'back' by winning the conference.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:38 PM, LTtxfan said:

LSU at #5, and Auburn at #8 are both too high.

LSU at 8-9 and Auburn 10-12 are more reasonable....

They were Both  overrated alright.....

#5 LSU lost to Florida.... 27-19

#8 Auburn lost to Miss State..... 23-9

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

They were Both  overrated alright.....

#5 LSU lost to Florida.... 27-19

#8 Auburn lost to Miss State..... 23-9

so UF and MSST are the new #4 and #6?

6 minutes ago, BigXII said:

The over reaction was Texas being unranked due to a week 1 loss to MD after 4 straight wins, 2 over top 25 teams.

Oh come on. We should have been ranked after the Maryland loss? That would have been the most ridiculous ranking ever.