Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

8 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Don’t have access to the FWST article but The Original Mexican Eats Cafe has lost its lease and will be leaving Camp Bowie at the end of March. It’s been open since 1930. Stockyards location to remain.

https://archive.ph/kp2qK

I’m more of a Mexican Inn person, but that sucks. 

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I wouldn’t expect anything less from someone who thinks every rectangle is a Frito. 

Sweetheart my great grandmother swam here and I still have family members whose first language is Spanish. And even then I'm far from a Mexican food snob. Mexican Inn = rich man's Taco Cabana. I said what I said. I regret nothing. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I have never been opposed to OtB, except their salsa is too watery. They have a big-ass burrito that’s good. 

There was an OTB next to my work in Lewisville and also one within walking distance of my apartment in Denton. On more than one occasion I had all you can eat enchiladas for lunch and dinner in the same day. Their margs were much better than Chili's too. I do have to give the overall edge to Razzoo's swamp water.

The Startlegram article about the Mexican Inn closing also included the tidbit that Bailey's on Taylor Street downtown is one of the two oldest barbecue restaurants (along with Black's in Lockhart) still owned and operated by the original families.  Who knew?

Another one gone: Fort Worth’s oldest Mexican restaurant lost location, will move

https://www.aol.com/another-one-gone-fort-worth-222552440.html

Razzoo’s Swamp Water got me in the member berries. If anyone drank or paid for a frozen drink from the machines at Joes Crab Shack I apologize for ripping you off. We made those in 5 gallon batches and each was supposed to have 3 bottles of booze. Well, often times they only got 1. Except the margs because fuck tequila. The other bottles made it parties or my apartment.

When we lived in the SF Bay Area OTB opened down in south San Jose. We drove about 90 minutes to eat some chain TexMex. We got there and it had been Caliyankeefied. Fuck me. It sucked.

The Original is one of those old timey places that I eat at every ten years or so.

I’m not a Joe T’s person. I loved the Mexican Inn when I was younger; grew up eating at the old one on Lancaster and then the old one in downtown next to the domino parlors. (I always wanted to go in one and play 42). The chips were fantastic when hot; their masa for making them was so flavorful. They were common that way back when according to my parents; Fritos were developed from that style. And I loved their gravy. It’s not as good now since they commissary it. Haven’t been in a while.

One place I can’t abide is fucking Mi Cocina. It’s everything bad about Dallas on a combo plate with the chips in a little silver bowl. Get the fuck back on the other side of 360.

And a surprise. The El Chico near me in Arlington has new management so I dropped by for a to go order. Goddam it took me back to fifth grade; the cheese enchiladas were fucking perfect.

This is an interesting legal case.  The older owner of the building signs a lease with Original in which they will pay $27k/year in rent, while the owner pays property taxes and all building maintenance. Lease is for a "perpetual" term with no provision to raise rent.  Kid inherits the building, sues to have the lease thrown out and wins.

https://casetext.com/case/muzquiz-v-para-todos-inc-1

Leticia Grimaldo and her late husband purchased the Arlington property at issue in this appeal in the 1960s. When they purchased the property located at 4713 Camp Bowie Rd. (the Property), it included a commercial building partially occupied by a restaurant. Over time, the restaurant expanded into the commercial space. At the present time, the restaurant occupies the entire building except for a small portion which houses a salon. In 1999, Para Todos began occupying the restaurant space without a lease. The restaurant's prior occupants also operated in the space without a lease.

In 2003, Para Todos and Ms. Grimaldo executed a lease (the Lease) for the restaurant space. Robert Self, Para Todos' owner, prepared the lease form and presented it to Ms. Grimaldo. When Ms. Grimaldo executed the Lease, she was eighty years old and in "okay" health, according to her son, Appellant, Frank Muzquiz. Muzquiz testified his mother did not hire an attorney to review the lease prior to her signing it, but admitted she could have hired an attorney if she had so chosen. Pursuant to the lease, Para Todos rents ninety-two percent of the building's square footage and pays $27,000 in rent each year. The remaining portion of the building is rented to the salon, which pays $1,200 in rent each month.

The following provisions in the lease are relevant in this appeal:

2. TERM: Subject to and upon the conditions set forth herein, the term of this lease shall commence on ... June 1, 2003 and shall be perpetual and terminable at Lessee's sole discretion upon thirty days written notice to Lessor.

Ms. Grimaldo passed away in 2014. Muzquiz inherited her entire estate, including the Property, subject to the Lease. Muzquiz engaged a different lawyer to determine if he could raise Para Todos' rent or terminate the lease. On October 26, 2015, Muzquiz's attorney contacted Para Todos and informed them the Lease was unenforceable and requested the parties renegotiate the lease.

The parties agreed to a bench trial. Muzquiz testified 92 percent the 2018 property tax and insurance on the Property, which corresponds with the portion of square footage occupied by Para Todos and which the Lease requires him to pay, was approximately $26,000. According to Muzquiz, property taxes have escalated steadily since 2003, and he expects they will continue to increase. Muzquiz's son, who assists him with maintenance on the property, testified he anticipates having to replace the roof within ten years at an estimated cost of $100,000. He also testified the parking lot needs repairs which will cost $20,000.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

What exactly is this? Does Mexican Inn even have a bar? 

And today happens to be National Margarita Day for anyone that didn’t get their Fat Tuesday on last night. 

Some of them have a bar. 

It’s marginally spicier, has more garlic, cilantro, and onion, and is pretty reasonable as far as restaurant salsas go.

This ain't paywall currently, video of the dude leaving Fuzzy's in Lake Worth hammered shit before killing the Euless cop. Not a real good look for the bartender. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article272571591.html

Also, not exactly a real jumping joint at the time to be getting bombed on double Red Bull/vodkas. 

▪ 10:40 a.m., first drink, 16 minutes

▪ 10:56 a.m., second drink, 20 minutes

▪ 11:16 a.m., third drink, 23 minutes

▪ 11:39 a.m., fourth drink, 24 minutes

▪ 12:03 p.m., fifth drink, 29 minutes

▪ 12:32 p.m., sixth drink, 22 minutes

▪ 12:54 p.m., seventh drink, 18 minutes

▪ 1:12 p.m., eighth drink 

spy’s Mexican Inn Camp Bowie on National Margarita Day review... 

My bowl of chips had mostly broken pieces, that’s not ideal. Bar salsa was fine, probably had some chipotles blended in. 

House marg was truly awful. They must have taken a page out of Fud’s book since they were $6 all day, shit was at least 85% sour mix. 

Had the Ranchero chicken burrito. It was certainly good-sized & stuffed with shredded chicken, but pretty bland on the inside. Definitely had to douse in salsa & japs.  

Can say I went, wasn’t mad at it, but zero hurry to return. Back to Mexico Real for me. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Probably asked this before, but do you have a mug on the ceiling? 

Ain't been there in a long minute. 

No I like to spread my degeneracy across too many different bars.  Plus Showdown is kind of like the Adam Dunn of bars. When it makes contact it's a home run, but there's also a looooottttttttt of strikeouts.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 8:47 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

spy’s Mexican Inn Camp Bowie on National Margarita Day review... 

My bowl of chips had mostly broken pieces, that’s not ideal. Bar salsa was fine, probably had some chipotles blended in. 

House marg was truly awful. They must have taken a page out of Fud’s book since they were $6 all day, shit was at least 85% sour mix. 

Had the Ranchero chicken burrito. It was certainly good-sized & stuffed with shredded chicken, but pretty bland on the inside. Definitely had to douse in salsa & japs.  

Can say I went, wasn’t mad at it, but zero hurry to return. Back to Mexico Real for me. 

Mexican Inn on 8th is the tits-Camp Bowie location sucks.  Love me some Mexico Real.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:41 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The Helen's hot chicken/seafood in that shit-ass old 7-11 location around the corner is already done, no surprise there. 

Also, they are reopening the Bluebird Club on Horne. Fresh paint, new sign, everything. Made me laugh in broad daylight. 

Bluebird won't be the same without Robert Ely and never went to the defunct Helen's.

On 2/23/2023 at 2:50 PM, TornACL said:

Showdown 50th anniversary party this Saturday night.

Going to be an epic shit show.

Wouldn't be the Showdown if it was anything but a shit show.  Missing the late Peter Plenk who was a friend.

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jesus BBQ reopens March 7. They’ve been on hiatus since death of the founder. It’s a little cafe if you haven’t been there, great fried chicken and very good old timey Tex Mex and Texican home cooking.

There is no bbq.

Great plate of cheese enchiladas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Great plate of cheese enchiladas.

I love this place. We usually get Mexican dinner #1 ( cheese enchiladas plus taco) with an order of fried chicken for the table and take most of that home with a few fried pies. There aren’t many of these little cafes left. I hope the family hangs on but wouldn’t blame them if they sold to a developer as SoMa marches southward.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/26/2023 at 10:11 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Jesus BBQ reopens March 7. They’ve been on hiatus since death of the founder. It’s a little cafe if you haven’t been there, great fried chicken and very good old timey Tex Mex and Texican home cooking.

There is no bbq.

Thank you for this announcement.  I have driven by more times than I can count wondering if the day would ever come when they were open again.  Missing the enchiladas mucho.  Gonna take home some yardbird the next time I go in there as well, but Drew's is my favorite choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thank you for this announcement.  I have driven by more times than I can count wondering if the day would ever come when they were open again.  Missing the enchiladas mucho.  Gonna take home some yardbird the next time I go in there as well, but Drew's is my favorite choice.

Drew’s is really good. Great fried chicken. What I also enjoy is that he has avoided the unfortunate trend in many soul food places to ditch dishware and silverware for styrofoam sectioned containers and plastic ware even for dine in. I hate that shit as it steams any fried foods within. I want my chicken on a plate. My collards and black eyes in little bowls.

At least I hope he has stayed true. Haven’t been in a long while but you flung a hankering on me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/27/2023 at 3:49 PM, bluto said:

Anybody got a home inspector rec?

We used Inspect360. A friend referred them. It's hard to tell how thorough they really are, but he was on-site forever and sounded very thorough.  House is still standing.