2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

10 hours ago, goatsaag said:

If Rivers plays like he did the last two years in LA, he's a good pickup. If he plays like he did for the Wizards, doubt he lasts very long on the team.

The Wizards are pretty toxic right now, I don't think anyone would do very well there. I think he will have a chance to shine here, but really even average PG play would be a huge help to this team's bench. 

38 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Rivers will help a lot, plays defense and hits the 3 ball and is a vet. We need depth and I think he will be a good addition. Nothing great but much needed.

knight is rusty as fuck and no team will bite on trading for him that iveseen 

No team is going to be trading for Brandon Knight expecting him to help them win games this season from what he's shown so far. At this point he's a salary that you attach a first round pick to in order to make a deal. Which is fine, the Rockets definitely have options there.

Rivers is the right kind of signing in that you get a stopgap guy that can plug and play immediately to cover an absence with some but not complete drop off, and then you hope you get some bonus value out of him with lesser minutes after everyone is back and healthy.  

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Harden has a calf injury and is questionable for tomorrow. With all the parity in the West, seeding doesn’t matter as much. Just secure a playoff spot and get the team healthy for playoffs, that’s the goal

Respectfully disagree, playoffs is a different animal. Having homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs is crucial. The team just needs to manage to keep winning and the seeding should take care of itself.

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Respectfully disagree, playoffs is a different animal. Having homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs is crucial. The team just needs to manage to keep winning and the seeding should take care of itself.

Didn’t help us get over the golden state hump last year. All I’m saying is, if a key player is borderline healthy enough to play a game in the regular season, go ahead and sit him. Don’t risk further aggravating that injury and making it tougher to be healthy in May. It’s a gamble anyway you look at it, but how things shook out last year, I’m a proponent of taking an even more cautious approach in the regular season but not SO cautious that we risk missing out on the playoffs all together. 

as far as depth goes, i see it as follows:

james is obviously the #1 player on the team.  one of the best #1's in the league.

cp3 is a very good #2 -- but he obviously has the health issues

capela is a very good #3.  continuing to get better and better.

tucker is a great #5.  jack of all trades type guy who every good team needs.

gordon is an elite 6th man -- so long as he regains his shot.

rivers and ennis are good 7th and 8th guys off the bench.

green, house and nene are good depth guys, but none are really going to be counted on to contribute much when it matters most.

the rockets are really missing that #4 guy.  hopefully knight's contract and a 1st round pick are enticing enough to go and get that guy.  after that, pray for cp3's health.

james harden is on another level:

A quick look at Harden's recent play will back that up. During this nine-game stretch, his stats across the board are remarkable: 39.2 points, 5.6 rebounds, 8.2 assists and 2.0 steals per game to go with shooting 44.7 percent overall, 40.7 percent from 3-point range and 87.8 percent from the foul line. He has had eight straight 30-point games and has eclipsed 40 points three times in his past six. According to Elias Sports Bureau research, the 388 points Harden has scored in his past 10 games are the most by any NBA player in a 10-game stretch since Kobe Bryant scored 396 from March 22 to April 8, 2007.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25627985/james-harden-saved-houston-season-revived-mvp-chances

Harden is getting himself right back into the MVP conversation.  I think he's kind of underappreciated by some fans in how much of a load he truly carries because he has to be a primary play maker plus score as well without Paul.  Really only LeBron kind of has that same burden to do so much so often.