Horns in the Pros

TheFlagship

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have a list of the Horns currently on MLB rosters? I know I could get at this data, just curious if it's already compiled somehwere (only checked a page back in this thread).

Kody Clemens. Elder rocking out with Atlanta. Belt continues to amaze with his career. Fun times.

Edited by capnamerca

32 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Anybody have a list of the Horns currently on MLB rosters? I know I could get at this data, just curious if it's already compiled somehwere (only checked a page back in this thread).

Kody Clemens. Elder rocking out with Atlanta. Belt continues to amaze with his career. Fun times.

We got those 3, John Curtiss playing for the Mets. Holby Milner on the Brewers. Tres is in the Cardinals org and played a couple games in the show last month. David Hamilton made his debut with the Red Sox last week. Peters is playing pro ball in Japan. Payton is still floating around the minors I think. 

Without looking up any stats, I’d guess Melendez or Ty Madden would be the next to get the call up  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's still striking out a lot, and probably needs to spend the rest of this year in the minors. if he's still dropping bombs like this in september i suppose he could get a call up, but i don't think he'll have a chance before then. 

Yea the Ks are up but still seems like you at least bump him up to AA and see what you have there. No idea what they have roster wise though 

44 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's still striking out a lot, and probably needs to spend the rest of this year in the minors. if he's still dropping bombs like this in september i suppose he could get a call up, but i don't think he'll have a chance before then. 

I was just thinking of a bump to AA not to MLB yet.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea the Ks are up but still seems like you at least bump him up to AA and see what you have there. No idea what they have roster wise though 

Y’all are fucked in the head. He’s got 11 homers through 24 games in my mlb the show 23 franchise. 

But like seriously, he should be in the show within 2 years. Dude has insane power, as we know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Y’all are fucked in the head. He’s got 11 homers through 24 games in my mlb the show 23 franchise. 

But like seriously, he should be in the show within 2 years. Dude has insane power, as we know. 

my dynamic duo:

IMG_6068.jpeg.d8ce0edf5571a6df4e932e6eb6ff231a.jpeg

IMG_6069.png.99a20ba9afaf328eda3559eb7ca1f773.png

they record a lot of outs for the Pflugerville Villeboys, although i was probably a bit generous giving Moss 175 lbs. lol

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

my dynamic duo:

IMG_6068.jpeg.d8ce0edf5571a6df4e932e6eb6ff231a.jpeg

IMG_6069.png.99a20ba9afaf328eda3559eb7ca1f773.png

they record a lot of outs for the Pflugerville Villeboys, although i was probably a bit generous giving Moss 175 lbs. lol

Didn’t you also make Lalo? In your defense, lalo would make a badass right fielder

Edited by Fletch

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

If the Diamondbacks weren't any good then he'd have a better chance, but they're leading the NL West and will likely be in the playoffs. He'll get a spring training invite next year. 

Red Sox giving Hamilton a lot of chances, but doubt he'll stay with the big club much longer. Batting .136, and as soon as they get some guys off the IL I'm guessing he'll get sent back down. Nice to see him get some time in the bigs.

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Red Sox giving Hamilton a lot of chances, but doubt he'll stay with the big club much longer. Batting .136, and as soon as they get some guys off the IL I'm guessing he'll get sent back down. Nice to see him get some time in the bigs.

Yes, rooting for him but it’s difficult to steal first base…

Sunday Notes: Bryce Elder Has a Sinking Fastball and Is Long Off the Tee

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/bryce-elder-has-a-sinking-fastball-and-is-long-off-the-tee/

Spoiler

Figuratively speaking, Bryce Elder is pitching well under par. In 21 starts for the Atlanta Braves, the 24-year-old right-hander is 8-2 with a 3.18 ERA. Killing worms is his M.O. Relying heavily on a modified two-seamer, Elder has a 53.6% ground-ball rate that ranks fifth-best among qualified hurlers. Earlier this month, he was named an N.L. All-Star in his first full big-league season.

When he’s not sinking fastballs, he’s sinking putts. Atlanta’s fifth-round pick in the 2020 draft, the University of Texas product is an accomplished golfer who shoots in the mid-to-low 70s. More on that in a moment.

Elder learned his sinker late in his freshman year of college. He’d thrown a four-seamer in high school, but lacking plus velocity — his heater was, and remains, in the 90-mph range — an adjustment was in order. His pitching coach showed him a one-seam grip, he threw a few off the mound, and the dividends soon became apparent.

The improvement was evident in the numbers. The Decatur, Texas native had a 5.55 ERA as a four-seam freshman. As a one-seam sophomore, he had a 2.93 ERA. As a junior — this in the truncated COVID season — that number was 2.08. Success in pro ball followed, but stagnation was never part of the plan. In a continued effort to get better, the righty subsequently tweaked his sinker grip.

“I’ve rotated the ball to where it is closer to a traditional two-seam,” explained Elder, who is throwing his signature pitch 51.2% of the time. “It’s a little offset. I’m on the side of the railroad tracks and kind of pulling on the inside of the ball. I try to get it spinning with a tilted axis, just straight back. That’s what makes the seam-shifted push.”

Elder primarily augments his go-to pitch with a slider (36.0% usage), mixing in the occasional changeup (12.8%). He learned his breaking ball, which was originally taught to him as a cutter, when he was eight years old. A few years later, he walked away from the game.

“I played baseball until about the sixth grade, but then got burned out on it and quit,” said Elder. “I had a few buddies who were good at golf, so I did that instead. I played all the way up through high school and actually wanted to play college golf, but then I ended up playing baseball again my sophomore year. The coach let me come to the field and throw, then leave to go play golf. If he hadn’t allowed me do that, I wouldn’t have played. You hear stories where guys say, ‘If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be here.’ That’s literally what it was for me. If it wasn’t for my high school baseball coach — his name is Brian Tickell — I wouldn’t be here.”

Asked to elaborate on “burned out,” Elder explained that his summer travel-ball team played a busy schedule, this while his his friends were going to the lake and hanging out. There was another reason, as well.

“I was horrible at hitting,” Elder admitted. “I loved pitching, but I hated hitting.”

That love never left him — it’s what brought him back to baseball — and all these years later it melds with his other sporting pursuit.

“I’ve always liked the idea of pitching, because it’s just like golf,” Elder said. “You go one pitch at a time, and one shot at a time. You also know what you’re going to do leading up to that pitch, or to that shot. On the golf course, you know that you want to drive to a certain side of the fairway, because that way you’ll have a better approach to the green. Baseball is the same. I’m going to throw this pitch, because it sets up this next pitch. The two go hand in hand.”

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound righty is more about finesse than power on the mound. On the golf course, he’s a bit of both.

“I can’t hit a golf ball as far as some guys, but I can usually get it out there 300-320 [yards],” said Elder. “I can hit it a little off the tee, but overall I’d say I’m kind of crafty.”

Crafty — a crafty technician if you will — is exactly what Elder is on a baseball diamond. He needs to be — his velocity ranks in the ninth percentile — but he’s perfectly fine with that. For him, an inning is much the same as a par-four hole.

“It’s all about executing pitches,” said Elder. “I’m not going to blow guys away, so I need to command the zone and be smart out there. Again, it’s a lot like golf. It’s one pitch at a time, one shot at a time.”

• Hook 'Em 1